Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My thoughts on TACC 2019.8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quite pleased when I realized I could use TACC on my city streets safely. It was fun to simply set my max speed, activate TACC, and let the car worry about keeping up with the traffic within the speed limit without constantly having to check the speedometer; especially once I discovered that the car would also come to a dead stop at a stop light, then start up again—as long as there was another car in front of me. There were only two things that bothered me: I felt that the car would approach a stopped car too fast, and then need to brake aggressively to come to a stop, and it would misinterpret cars that were turning from in front of me as potential collision threats and brake in an overly-aggressive manner before resuming a normal speed when they were simply making a maneuver into a turn lane.

My impressions of the TACC update with 2019.8.5 is that it has become even more overly-sensitive to cars moving into a turn lane and braking without warning in such a way as to be potentially troublesome to any car that might be following me and which would not be expecting me to brake in such a situation. Also, while on the previous update, the car would come to a stop behind a car at a stoplight in the properly-accepted distance with the top of my dashboard aligned with the bottom of the rear tires of the car in front me, it now stops about a car’s length away—too far, it seems to me. Also, whereas before, my car would wait when starting again maybe a second or so before starting to roll forward, it now waits uncomfortably longer, and then starts up much more abruptly than before and seems to have a difficult time adjusting its speed to the car in front.

As a result, I am less comfortable using TACC in town now—and don’t do so unless there is very little traffic.

Mine has gone way beyond "being responsive". It has repeatedly slammed on the breaks with no one in front of me at highway speeds. Best guess is it senses a car several lanes over that it thinks is going to merge into my lane, but in each case the car was multiple lanes away and the breaking was so abrupt that it nearly caused the car following to rear-end my X. I am barely using TACC anymore as a result. I really hope they fix this soon.

Totally agree. After 8 hours of highway driving this weekend, I had same concern. Brakes hard way too often at highway speeds foe no reason. Does it a lot when I engage turn signal for no apparent reason. I became very concerned about cars behind me as car dropped 20 mph in seconds with a clear lane in front of me. I had to be way more vigilant than I should have been. Did a two hour drive in my Genesis today and had no issues, very smooth like I expected.

I’m experiencing the same. On a road trip now and noticed that it would brake too much when other cars were too close to my lane, thinking they were merging I guess. Obviously we want th car to recognize it but it seems overly sensitive right now. Still happy to have AP but I was very cognizant of how close other cars were following me and would turn off AP if they were close. In stop/go traffic it was braking heavily unnecessarily.

My 3 doesn’t have these issues on the latest update I’ve received.

What makes me uncomfortable is when my X 'sees' another car at least a block ahead turning or crossing the road and brakes unexpectedly, startling me and anyone behind me....It is far too sensitive and I hope the software engineers come up with a tweak soon so I can go back to 'comfortable' driving....:)

Yeah it's gotten pretty bad as of late... When in the carpool lane i have to drive with 1 foot on the accelerator or it'll phantom break constantly... It's grossly overreacting to cars in the adjacent lane and instead of moving the X over if a car is hugging the lane line it'll break like the car is pulling right in front of you...

Yet another example in the long list of examples as to why Tesla is nowhere near even remotely close to FSD...

Jeff

Everything in Autopilot, including TACC, is beta. Even features that have been around for years. Tesla is constantly adapting and adjusting things, and TACC is certainly not a separate isolated feature.
wait-wait, don't confuse things.

When you enable autosteer - that is clearly marked at BETA in the ui. I assume everything that is NOT marked as beta in the UI is NOT beta.

But you can activate TACC without autosteer!

Yes you can. But it is the same TACC used with autosteer and occasionally quirky. Everything auto should be considered to be in beta, whether it displays an explicit warning or not. That is why you have to hang on firmly and stay fully engaged. It significantly reduces the driver workload, but it is far from eliminating it. I am hopeful for someday to not have to pay attention. But it is not going to be here very soon I am afraid.

Yes you can. But it is the same TACC used with autosteer and occasionally quirky. Everything auto should be considered to be in beta, whether it displays an explicit warning or not. That is why you have to hang on firmly and stay fully engaged. It significantly reduces the driver workload, but it is far from eliminating it. I am hopeful for someday to not have to pay attention. But it is not going to be here very soon I am afraid.
If you check the car menus, autosteeer is clearly marked as BETA and gives a warning ewhen you first enable it in menu,
TACC is enabled by default and does not produce any warnings.

I'll chime in as well. Up to 8.4 TACC was working perfectly fine for me. Yesterday I've installed 8.5 and I had to disable TACC for the very first time on the stretch of the road I use to commute daily. It was braking for no apparent reason as soon as there was a car in adjacent lane (slightly ahead of me). It was not veering into my lane or changing lanes, just cruising along. So, it looks like TACC is far more sensitive now too.

Or does it need to "re-learn" after software update is applied?