Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two biggest problems with the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you ever loaded a truck?

Picking up and pulling towards you is much safer than pushing/jamming things in.

Ahhhhh yeah, for like 45 years now, between farming/construction/landscaping/dirt bikes/ATVs.

The OP is trying to say that the only way to load plywood/drywall into a pickup is OVER the sidewall of the box/vault.

I've loaded/unloaded hundreds of drywall and plywood sheets, on my own, w/o injury or incident. As a matter of fact, unless you are taking more than 3-4 sheets per trip, it is easier and safer to do solo.

Is this some sort of millennial forum/thing, trying to dissuade purchase of the CT?

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Ahhhhh yeah, for like 45 years now, between farming/construction/landscaping/dirt bikes/ATVs.

The OP is trying to say that the only way to load plywood/drywall into a pickup is OVER the sidewall of the box/vault.

I've loaded/unloaded hundreds of drywall and plywood sheets, on my own, w/o injury or incident. As a matter of fact, unless you are taking more than 3-4 sheets per trip, it is easier and safer to do solo.

Is this some sort of millennial forum/thing, trying to dissuade purchase of the CT?

You've been using trucks for 45 years and never had to reach over the side to load something? I find that hard to believe.

You've been using trucks for 45 years and never had to reach over the side to load something? I find that hard to believe.
Sure.

You believe the only way to load sheet rock and plywood is over the side of the bed. You're from Los Gatos and like this Che fella from Cuba, that's great.

The OP is talking plywood and sheetrock, finding some CT design rage. Oh my, oh well, LOL!

It has been stated that the battery pack is under the cab area. It can't cross the cab/bed line as the vault cover retracts through that line into a roll under the vehicle. It was also stated that the tri-motor design would have a double stack pack. Part of the reason for this is to keep weight distribution in check. If you put 3,500lbs. in the bed you don't want the battery back there as well.

As I understand it the cover rolls under the rear passenger seat, it doesn't go below the level of the battery pack. So the pack could extend below the bed.

As I understand it the cover rolls under the rear passenger seat, it doesn't go below the level of the battery pack. So the pack could extend below the bed.

Where did you get that information from? It doesn't agree with what Motortrend has reported:

The standard battery pack is mounted underneath the cab, just forward of the roll-up tonneau cover's storage compartment (beneath the pickup bed floor), and offers about 300 miles of claimed range. A new, double-stacked battery will give a tri-motor Cybertruck up to 500 miles of range.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Sure.

You believe the only way to load sheet rock and plywood is over the side of the bed. You're from Los Gatos and like this Che fella from Cuba, that's great.

The OP is talking plywood and sheetrock, finding some CT design rage. Oh my, oh well, LOL!

I never said anything about sheetrock. I just said that it's not practical for a truck to not have easy access to the sides of the bed, if you are using it as a truck.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electruck
Where did you get that information from? It doesn't agree with what Motortrend has reported:

It was mentioned on a reveal video from the night of the event (the driver of the cybertruck mentioned it when someone asked), but until we see better teardowns I don't know who is right and I won't believe that motortrend is infallible.

In general we know where it slides to, the question is which way does it roll and is that storage under the seats or just lower down. I haven't seen anything definitive.

I never said anything about sheetrock. I just said that it's not practical for a truck to not have easy access to the sides of the bed, if you are using it as a truck.
Do you know what you load from the side of a truck? Gravel, sand, and dirt using a Bobcat. The storage sail will NOT interfere with THAT, we're all good here on planet Truck utility, YOU load whatever/however you want to, with another truck. Great, good, have a wonderful day.

Do you know what you load from the side of a truck? Gravel, sand, and dirt using a Bobcat. The storage sail will NOT interfere with THAT, we're all good here on planet Truck utility, YOU load whatever/however you want to, with another truck. Great, good, have a wonderful day.

Actually the sail might be a problem for me even for that - the small front loader I have can reach over a standard pickup side but it might not be quite high enough to reach over the Cybertruck side. Its not something I do often, but occasionally I have loaded compost and yard waste, construction debris, and lake weeds into my truck using the loader.

(photo is random from the internet, but this is a popular sized loader similar to mine)
Loader.jpg

(My discussion is intended to illustrate what I actually use my current truck for so as to hopefully educate people considering buying a truck what the tradeoffs are and perhaps lobby the manufacturers such as Tesla to pay attention to what that part of their market is looking for. Not sure where the anger is coming from.)

Actually the sail might be a problem for me even for that - the small front loader I have can reach over a standard pickup side but it might not be quite high enough to reach over the Cybertruck side. Its not something I do often, but occasionally I have loaded compost and yard waste, construction debris, and lake weeds into my truck using the loader.

(photo is random from the internet, but this is a popular sized loader similar to mine)
View attachment 482471

(My discussion is intended to illustrate what I actually use my current truck for so as to hopefully educate people considering buying a truck what the tradeoffs are and perhaps lobby the manufacturers such as Tesla to pay attention to what that part of their market is looking for. Not sure where the anger is coming from.)

THAT is a John Deere garden tractor! It's NOT a Bobcat! What anger? Your thread jack is just that; yours! Almost anything except for grass and leaves in that bucket is likely to dump that tractor/bucket configuration.

The OP wants to ONLY load plywood and drywall from the side!?! It's a moot debate point, almost as useless as an oil change debate.

You are basing a debate on photos of something you do not have, and a truck you have ZERO plans of buying! It's hilarious that your point against the BUILT design, keeps moving with different reasoning. Keep your Chevy, recall your CT deposit so an actual buyer can get in! Please! There, no anger, there is actual civility in asking "PLEASE!"

A large portion of pick up truck owners need a trailer ball in the bed for fifth wheel towing. I do. My horse trailer couldn't be used with this truck, as the sloped sides will hit the front end of the trailer on tight turns.

This pushes me to the Rivian or the new Ford (when it comes out) for my next pick up purchase

how much bed clearance would you need? The renders online if accurate show the sails are about 6 inches or so higher than a standard bed in reference to the rear axle.

THAT is a John Deere garden tractor! It's NOT a Bobcat! … Almost anything except for grass and leaves in that bucket is likely to dump that tractor/bucket configuration."

As I mentioned, I was talking about smaller front loaders, not Bobcats.

And yes, that tractor in the photo is not properly ballasted - it needs a counter-weight hanging off the back. From my practical experience, my loader of about that size can lift about 750 lbs to full height. I think the bucket is about 1/3 of a yard capacity. 4 or 5 scoops of dirt or yard waste and the truck is loaded to max capacity in a matter of a few minutes.

Also as per the infamous tug a war video. I watched it again. The F150 was RWD! Way to stack the odds Tesla using your triple engine. Also the f150 looked to be a Base model so the Tesla had what 1000 lbs+ on it. So Elon bragging about pulling a 2wd much lighter vehicle says nothing, smoke and mirrors. How about against a raptor, or diesel?

Tesla CT has no engines, but had two motors. I’m guessing it has around 2,000 lb on the Ford. A 4wd Ford should have been selected though, total agreement there, although a 4wd F150 is still only 2wd, one in front and one in the rear.

how much bed clearance would you need? The renders online if accurate show the sails are about 6 inches or so higher than a standard bed in reference to the rear axle.

My calculations put it at about 1.5 feet higher...

There's the problem. We don't know. My 5th wheel trailer is 6" above the Ford's sides when level. Occasionally I do have a tight spot where the trailer is nearly at 90 degrees. If the flairs are at 6" it might be okay. If at 1.5 feet, not so much.
At some point, I'm sure the designers at Tesla will tell us.....but I'm not holding my breath

• Funny
Reactions: Electruck
There's the problem. We don't know. My 5th wheel trailer is 6" above the Ford's sides when level. Occasionally I do have a tight spot where the trailer is nearly at 90 degrees. If the flairs are at 6" it might be okay. If at 1.5 feet, not so much.
At some point, I'm sure the designers at Tesla will tell us.....but I'm not holding my breath

hopefully the good news is they’ll have demo rides of the production truck before they start delivering them. You can bring a tape measure and go to town. ;)

Tesla CT has no engines, but had two motors. I’m guessing it has around 2,000 lb on the Ford. A 4wd Ford should have been selected though, total agreement there, although a 4wd F150 is still only 2wd, one in front and one in the rear.
He specifically said that the truck on the video was the one on stage. And earlier he said that was thick was the LR and the LR truck he said has 3 motors. Also a 4wd F150 has power sent from one motor to all 4 wheels, Not one in the front and one in the back. And for the most part in a tug a war mass wins every time so 1000-2000 lbs more is a huge advantage.