Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY with new console spotted today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It kinda feels like back in the day you wouldn’t know your child’s gender until the mother gives birth.

yea, and there’s a reason why no one does that anymore.
I’ll tell you, for me, spending $83,000 on a car and not knowing the features until it shows up at my door step is bush-league. I’m excited about the car, but there is no reason I should need to follow a forum to learn about heated steering wheel and refreshed console deliveries.
You need to really want the car. I don’t see the average buyer at these prices tolerating this experience.

I’ll tell you, for me, spending $83,000 on a car and not knowing the features until it shows up at my door step is bush-league. I’m excited about the car, but there is no reason I should need to follow a forum to learn about heated steering wheel and refreshed console deliveries.
You need to really want the car. I don’t see the average buyer at these prices tolerating this experience.

But they do. The average buyer tolerates mid-year model year changes much more than any of us on this forum do, which represents a small percentage of Tesla buyers.

Reactions: ratsbew
You forget that it is only those same people on these forums that even know about, expect, or look forward to a heated steering wheel or refreshed console. Once all available cars have these features, they will be listed or shown on the order page.

You forget that it is only those same people on these forums that even know about, expect, or look forward to a heated steering wheel or refreshed console. Once all available cars have these features, they will be listed or shown on the order page.
Were buyers who had placed an order say in early February but have not yet taken delivery notified about the potential change of the car’s interior? I prefer the new console and other changes but at time of ordering, Tesla was showing the old interior and headlights in their website. In fact, they’re still showing the old interior in the website as of now. Most will find the new console a pleasant surprise but some will not?
Perhaps Tesla should at least let the buyer know that they’re getting the new console instead of the one they saw in the pictures? It is a substantial change in appearance.

Reactions: TheMegatron
Were buyers who had placed an order say in early February but have not yet taken delivery notified about the potential change of the car’s interior? I prefer the new console and other changes but at time of ordering, Tesla was showing the old interior and headlights in their website. In fact, they’re still showing the old interior in the website as of now. Most will find the new console a pleasant surprise but some will not?
Perhaps Tesla should at least let the buyer know that they’re getting the new console instead of the one they saw in the pictures? It is a substantial change in appearance.
I ordered on January 30, and wasn't notified (expecting to get a VIN next week). But I wasn't expecting anything from them. Remember, this is a new model in terms of buying a car. You're buying directly from the manufacturer so you will get what they happen to be making at the time. But you should be able to get what you want assuming you following a forum like this, so you know what changes are being made.

It's probably a matter of Tesla using up the current supply of old center consoles on the 'just recently built' Model Y cars, before they shift over to the new console into 100% of their Model 3 & Y cars - at which point they'll most likely update the pictures on the website.

I think the majority of people taking deliveries right now of a Model Y probably don't know about the center console change or don't care about it, and they're willing to accept whatever Tesla is selling them. The people who are refusing to take delivery right now in hopes of getting a more updated Y are the ones on this forum or in the FB groups, and that's probably a much smaller percentage compared to actual Model Y sales.

Reactions: DanDi58 and enzo
The people who are refusing to take delivery right now in hopes of getting a more updated Y are the ones on this forum or in the FB groups, and that's probably a much smaller percentage compared to actual Model Y sales.

@SDM44 I would be very surprised if the percentage of Tesla owners and prospective/buyers that are in the communities and FB groups and socials doing some research are not significantly higher than the industry average. This thought ties back to your point of this being a new model of purchasing, and I'm thinking people are probably doing this type of research to become more comfortable with not only being new to EV ownership but also new to the purchase and ongoing service experience.

We took delivery of your MY today. It has an updated center console. I ordered in January. Overall it is great, no issues but I didn't have high expectations since it's a daily driver. Can't believe I've been on this forum since 2012 and this is our first time purchasing after all these years. I used to work for the company and felt that I've been detached long enough to enjoy it as a customer. Glad to see the community grow.

We took delivery of your MY today. It has an updated center console. I ordered in January. Overall it is great, no issues but I didn't have high expectations since it's a daily driver. Can't believe I've been on this forum since 2012 and this is our first time purchasing after all these years. I used to work for the company and felt that I've been detached long enough to enjoy it as a customer. Glad to see the community grow.

Congrats!

Thank you for this!
#1 thanks for listing your specs
#2 thanks for letting us know what you KNOW as FACT. Pls keep us posted on what your waiting to confirm

My order was placed Feb 6th. (LR AWD, white, induction rims, w/tow) Was matched same day.(no refresh) they have not had any refreshed through the store(Toronto, Canada) I rejected and let them know I was waiting for console and Headlights.

Your updates will be very much appreciated!

My MY7 Red w/tow 131xxx is delayed a couple of days due to transport issues. I’m on east coast.

Took the opportunity to ask SA a few questions, she laughed when she looked it up and and found out born date was Valentine’s Day. She also confirmed the new lights and new center console. I’ll confirm when I pick it up next Friday.

My MY7 Red w/tow 131xxx is delayed a couple of days due to transport issues. I’m on east coast.

Took the opportunity to ask SA a few questions, she laughed when she looked it up and and found out born date was Valentine’s Day. She also confirmed the new lights and new center console. I’ll confirm when I pick it up next Friday.
So just a regular MY with updated new lights? could it be ?? would you be the first one?? let us know for sure!

Reactions: ratsbew
To corroborate, my VIN is 113xxx with a date of 2/14, so lower VINs are not a cause for despair.
It would help to know the day of the month the vehicle was manufactured (2/21 just denotes February 2021). This information is on the "New Process" barcode sticker on the Model Y windshield but these are removed prior to delivery. I'm not sure if the sales advisor has the ability to find the day the car was made? Can anyone confirm this?
Model-Y-Rocklin-VIN.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: TravelFree