Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR all season tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine through Black Circles, it is -10 here this morning and it will be interesting to see how they cope.
My experience over the last few days is that the car seems to more grip at -8 than the Hankooks did at +8, the front end grip in particular is massively better, the ride seems to be better but I think they are slightly noisier.
I did look at the Cross Climate 2, the reviews suggest that they are better in the snow but less good in the wet and I do much more driving in the wet, the Pirelli’s are also cheaper.

Okay. As I was afraid at the beginning of this thread, my local garage wouldn't sell me or fit 4Seasons tyres as my OEM tyres & owner manual states they should be 'Y' as speed index, or, for pure winter tyres, at least W (Like the Pirelli Sottozero that have the Tesla Homologated T0 mark). Hence suggesting that the CrossClimate in 'H' are a non-starter.
But there aren't any All Season Tyres in that size that have a Y Speed index and 104 Load Index.

Any suggestions?
I too have come up against this issue although when I check the Hankook's my car was delivered with they are H rated - not Y.

I can't find any winter tyres other than a set of Vredstein Wintracks - I made the mistake of googling reviews and they have a poorish score on snow, that put me off. I thought I'd cracked with ATS - bought 2 sets on line (we have 2 cars) for £1850. Called me this morning and said they didn't actually have them 'it tells you this on the invoice' (thanks) and they are 'processing' my refund.

With the lack of gritting on anything but the major roads round here feel like i have done more snow and ice driving lately than for many a year.

Conclusion, the standard 19" Hankook EV tyres are not very good, the car does an excellent job with traction control and 4wd but there is not much grip from the tyres especially under braking, guess the weight of the car doesn't help with the extra inertia.

When the time comes to fit new tyres i would like to go for All Season but there doesn't appear to be much choice in 255/45R19, comparing the non EV Hankook Ventus to the EV version it looks like they would perform better in the snow and Ice, the EV tyre looks to be concentrating on noise reduction and efficiency with less tread, wonder how much difference there would actually be.
IMG_7978.png

• Helpful
Reactions: WllXM
I did a long drive yesterday on country roads up to St Fillans in Perthshire, the snow depth varied between about 3 and 8 inches and it was sub zero the whole time.
The Pirellis did pretty well, not as good as a full winter but far better than the summer tyres and I had no issues getting where I needed to go, including up some pretty steep hills.

View attachment 886013
That’s reassuring to know. Do like the MY in red, the Gemini’s also look far better with the covers off.

Reactions: Wowbagger
I did a long drive yesterday on country roads up to St Fillans in Perthshire, the snow depth varied between about 3 and 8 inches and it was sub zero the whole time.
The Pirellis did pretty well, not as good as a full winter but far better than the summer tyres and I had no issues getting where I needed to go, including up some pretty steep hills.

View attachment 886013

So it looks like scorpion sf2 are better than cc2 suv.
Now my question would be, which one will be better for summer weather?

The SF2 I had on order went out on stock, but managed to pick up the CC2 SUV as an alternative just by keeping an eye on different websites. I’d decided on the SF2 as it was a fully fledged electric variant for Volvo, but very very impressed with the CC2. So much better than the Hankooks, will see how that translates in summer but the Hankook isn’t a high benchmark for a summer tyre, garbage in my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
The SF2 I had on order went out on stock, but managed to pick up the CC2 SUV as an alternative just by keeping an eye on different websites. I’d decided on the SF2 as it was a fully fledged electric variant for Volvo, but very very impressed with the CC2. So much better than the Hankooks, will see how that translates in summer but the Hankook isn’t a high benchmark for a summer tyre, garbage in my opinion.

That’s the point both look similar at least during winter.
I also realized that Pirelli is 70db (A) while CC2 SUV is 72db (B).
In addition Pirelli has FSL (rim protection slip) and Michelin does not.

Based on paper seems Pirelli would be a bit better for our Tesla. Now … what’s the reality? 🫠

That’s the point both look similar at least during winter.
I also realized that Pirelli is 70db (A) while CC2 SUV is 72db (B).
In addition Pirelli has FSL (rim protection slip) and Michelin does not.

Based on paper seems Pirelli would be a bit better for our Tesla. Now … what’s the reality? 🫠
The rim protector I’d definitely have preferred as the leading edge is very exposed now. Tyre noise with the CC2 I’d swear was less than the Hankook (it’s rated 69db I think) but hard to gauge in the wet and the Pirelli could well be better. Probably splitting hairs with both tyres, can’t go wrong with either but I’d have bought the SF2 if it was available.

Fwiw Harry’s garage had the latest RRS in on his latest review and he made mention of how good the Pirelli scorpion all season were that the car was running. Don’t know if it’d be the same SF2 but I don’t think you can make a bad choice here.

I used Winter Tyres in the Winter, on a separate set of rims.

Would there be any point having All Season for the Winter, and Summers for the Summer (e.g. when my current Winters need replacing)
No. And I’ve run the same setup on past cars, but in central Scotland you’d rarely need a full winter (nor a full summer!!) so running an all season all year round makes sense for me, as I can’t be bothered with the hassle of wheel changes and tyre storage. I wouldn’t bother with an all season for winter if I was planning to change back to summers though, I’d do as you have done.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I used Winter Tyres in the Winter, on a separate set of rims.

Would there be any point having All Season for the Winter, and Summers for the Summer (e.g. when my current Winters need replacing)

If you have space and you have the spare rims then I would say that changing to a good AS on your winter wheels is a reasonable choice. You're in sunny Suffolk and the summers are going to be optimal for warmer weather. Changing the rims yourself costs nothing and isn't a horrendous task. If you were going to be swapping on the same rims then I would probably agree with @KCH1984 and just run all year on the AS. I am planning to go to AS when I next need to buy tyres (currently winters/summers) but that's an easier choice when I'm swapping on original rims (£50x2 per year) and I'm further north ...