Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR all season tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
575ECD86-CC57-4B55-9B8B-16C019C82A71.jpeg

Rim protection (or lack thereof) on the Michelin CC2 SUV. Apologies for the dirty wheel pic!

• Disagree
Reactions: thewanted
Agree - something looks off. Need a photo from above. From this angle it looks like the bead may not be seated properly…. Almost like they didn’t use enough lube or something.
All 4 are that way, would you expect them to all be off? But agree, that photo angle does exacerbate it. I’ll take another picture but done about 500 miles on them now and no ill effects, so not overly concerned…

All 4 are that way, would you expect them to all be off? But agree, that photo angle does exacerbate it. I’ll take another picture but done about 500 miles on them now and no ill effects, so not overly concerned…
If they prepped and installed the tyres all in the same way and didn’t pay attention to it then yes they could all look like that and be seated too deeply.

Edit: it’s normal for CC2’s apparently.

Probably fine since you’ve done 500 miles. Soapy dish water is your friend for checking for slow leaks though.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCH1984 and Casss
Stand down. It’s normal (in a weird Tesla way)

That’s honking! 🤢

Guess they’re just that bit more stretched than the hankooks. Michelin know best though I guess..

The Hankooks have got some seriously deep rim protection which only just covers the rim, i've just fitted some GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric that have rim protection but don't cover it like the Hankooks do, better than the CC2s by the look of it though!
Shame the rims aren't 9" instead of 9 1/2" to avoid the stretch look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Farquad
I had a set of these fitted on Friday, I am very impressed with them, I have only driven in a small amount of snow but I did a long trip today through Highland Perthshire at around -8 degrees and I was astonished at how much grip they have on cold, wet muddy roads. I have had Cross Climates before and these are definitely better on wet/cold roads but I haven't done enough snow driving to make a judgement on that.
I've just booked these for a set of TSportline 19s I've bought in from the US. It's for a MYP - the OEMs look beautiful but I suspect not very practical. The TSportline 19s are very similar - 255/45/19.

I think these with the new Pirelli all season Scorpion SF2 should work well. Looking at the specs, the Pirellis now seem to be ahead of the CC2 which is already a very good tyre. The Pirellis are XL rated, A rated for economy and also a bit quieter than the CC2 by all accounts. The rim protection is also more pronounced which is handy. They're scarce but I managed to book in at ATS Euromaster in a couple of weeks time. Looking forward to trying them - just over £800 all in.

Reactions: Wowbagger
I used Winter Tyres in the Winter, on a separate set of rims.

Would there be any point having All Season for the Winter, and Summers for the Summer (e.g. when my current Winters need replacing)
Living in south England I’d say yes. I have CC2s on a spare set of rims and they have much better traction in lower single digit temps than the Pilots. That way you have optimal tyres all year round for the climate.

👀 Popped outside to check. 100% says Extra Load on the sidewalls! Honestly really happy with these tires, already put on 120 miles including in the snow in Brighton yesturday, took it slow but got through with no issues! View attachment 884114
Can I just check that the Pirellis fit the 19" rim better than the CC2 appear to please? So the rim isn't left protruding? It looks fine from your picture. I've just ordered a set of the Scorpion 2s for some 19" after-market rims and just want to make sure that I avoid the rim protruding as appears to happen with the CrossClimate 2s. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Can I just check that the Pirellis fit the 19" rim better than the CC2 appear to please? So the rim isn't left protruding? It looks fine from your picture. I've just ordered a set of the Scorpion 2s for some 19" after-market rims and just want to make sure that I avoid the rim protruding as appears to happen with the CrossClimate 2s. Cheers and thanks in advance.
Much better than the Michelins, I am still very happy with mine after approximately 6k miles.
PXL_20230130_075012224.jpg

If you’re getting after market rims and aren’t bothered about the aero implications you could buy 9j instead of 9.5j and run the CC2’s if that’s the only reason you were going for the Pirelli’s.

Reactions: spon88
The design of the Gemini alloys doesn't help the tyre with rim protection, it has a lip that the aero hubcap fits inside that wouldn't be there on a normal alloy.
The depth of the standard fit Hankook rim protection is approximately 16mm and is only just flush with the lip on the alloy wheel so would not offer much protection from a kerb i think.
IMG_8174.jpeg

IMG_8165.jpeg

Reactions: spon88
The design of the Gemini alloys doesn't help the tyre with rim protection, it has a lip that the aero hubcap fits inside that wouldn't be there on a normal alloy.
The depth of the standard fit Hankook rim protection is approximately 16mm and is only just flush with the lip on the alloy wheel so would not offer much protection from a kerb i think.
View attachment 901272

View attachment 901271
Thanks for that. I've actually imported some TSportline 19s and the lip you highlighted certainly isn't there, so I think even with CC2 tyres, we may be OK. Preference is the new Pirellis but certainly the CC2 is an excellent option - finding either at the moment isn't easy!

Reactions: Obie