Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs Mach-e vs RAV4 Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xls_

“Within spec.”
Oct 13, 2021
SF Bay Area, CA
I currently drive a 2009 Outback (don't judge - I do like driving) and am looking for a new car. Like at least a few other folks I've narrowed it down to Model Y, Mach-e and the RAV4 Prime.

I've only been able to test drive the Model Y. I was... blown away:cool:đź‘Ť. The Toyota dealers are difficult to deal with and no Primes in stock, same with the mach-e. I think I prefer the Model Y over the mach-e anyway due to better charging infrastructure and more interior space.

The two main advantages (to me) of the Prime over the Model Y are price ($26K advantage for SE after taxes and rebates) and the fact that it's just like any other ICE car (with pretty good MPG) for road trips. We still have another hybrid car that we're currently using for traveling, so we can always fall back on that should we find the Tesla to be too tedious (I think we'll be fine with the SC network). Our road trips aren't that far or often. I'd say 4-5 times a year we go 400-ish miles each way. Most driving is around the local area, 20-ish miles / day with occasionally 100-ish on the weekend days.

I guess most would probably cross-shop the Model Y with the Prime XSE PP, but even there is still an $18K difference after taxes and rebates.

Has anyone here been deciding between a Prime and the Model Y, then ended up with the Model Y and is now regretting their decision and wished they had gotten the Prime instead?

Incidentally, we’ve done several cross-county trips in both the S and 3 to great success; 400-ish miles a few times a year will be effortless, and, so long as you opt for the Model Y, incredibly enjoyable too. Looking forward to more travels in the Y once the opportunity presents. Stay well.

You’re comparing MSRP. Mach Es and Primes are going for thousands, in some cases 10k or more. That negates a lot of the price difference. I chose the Y over the Prime because a few thousand delta when it was all said and done wasn’t worth it

Reactions: MadArc30
Incidentally, we’ve done several cross-county trips in both the S and 3 to great success; 400-ish miles a few times a year will be effortless, and, so long as you opt for the Model Y, incredibly enjoyable too. Looking forward to more travels in the Y once the opportunity presents. Stay well.
I've been watching dozens of YouTube videos of people doing that. I so wish I had the time for a cross country road trip! Thanks for the encouraging words! đź‘Ť

You’re comparing MSRP. Mach Es and Primes are going for thousands, in some cases 10k or more. That negates a lot of the price difference. I chose the Y over the Prime because a few thousand delta when it was all said and done wasn’t worth it
Yes, you're right - MSRP. MSRP can be done apparently, especially for the SE model. You do have to wait though, but it's about the same for the MYLR (~6 months). I haven't really researched the mach-e a whole lot but have heard about ridiculous markups.

I'm trying to talk my local Tesla sales people into giving me an overnight test drive. I would really like some more time with it, to double check seat comfort, how easy it is to use the screen for everyday stuff, visibility at night, stream Apple Music etc.

I currently drive a 2009 Outback (don't judge - I do like driving) and am looking for a new car. Like at least a few other folks I've narrowed it down to Model Y, Mach-e and the RAV4 Prime.

I've only been able to test drive the Model Y. I was... blown away:cool:đź‘Ť. The Toyota dealers are difficult to deal with and no Primes in stock, same with the mach-e. I think I prefer the Model Y over the mach-e anyway due to better charging infrastructure and more interior space.

The two main advantages (to me) of the Prime over the Model Y are price ($26K advantage for SE after taxes and rebates) and the fact that it's just like any other ICE car (with pretty good MPG) for road trips. We still have another hybrid car that we're currently using for traveling, so we can always fall back on that should we find the Tesla to be too tedious (I think we'll be fine with the SC network). Our road trips aren't that far or often. I'd say 4-5 times a year we go 400-ish miles each way. Most driving is around the local area, 20-ish miles / day with occasionally 100-ish on the weekend days.

I guess most would probably cross-shop the Model Y with the Prime XSE PP, but even there is still an $18K difference after taxes and rebates.

Has anyone here been deciding between a Prime and the Model Y, then ended up with the Model Y and is now regretting their decision and wished they had gotten the Prime instead?
I tried the plug in hybrid approach before with a Ford C-Max and I think you basically get the worst of both worlds, depending on your driving patterns. You'll get all the noise and maintenance of an ICE vehicle, and a very limited EV only mode range. The only appreciable benefits to me would be acquisition costs and unlimited ICE range.

My advice would be to get the Rav4 Hybrid skip the complexity / hassles / limitations of a plugin EV.

My wife had a 2011 Tribeca, decent suv but as with most pre-direct injection Subies, it got horrific gas mileage. We got her a MYP and she loves it. That said if it were me, I'd be wary of a Mach E. Go to their forums and see for yourself. It's not a well balanced drivers car as moose tests show, snap oversteer is not a great characteristic for a family vehicle, etc etc. As for the RAV, I would not buy a PHEV, it's still an ice car.... why bother?

I've been lurking on a Rav4 Prime forum a bit, and some people do feel like they're not really using the ICE very much and kind of wish they wouldn't have to lug it around everywhere. I can see myself feeling the same way. You kind of get the best of both worlds but also worst of both worlds. Whatever you're focusing on will determine if you're happy with the car.

Reactions: jpfive
Just order a Model Y now, locking in any more price increases. only $250 at risk if you cancel. If the rebate passes you should be able to get the car out the door with an option or two with doc/transport fees, maybe better with state and local rebates (no sales tax in my state NJ). Mach E equipped the same will likely price just a few thousand more, but you have to be wary of dealers that add markup. The RAV4 Prime is just a cheaper compromise technology car that is difficult to find and subject to some horrendous dealer markups.

People worry about long road trips with the MY but it is EASY! I've done several 3000 mile plus trips without any concern, and I've been in some remote areas. Yes it takes a bit more planning but once you've experienced a good trip first hand you'll get it. Oh, and most of the time you're "filling up" in your garage over night so never have to worry about hitting the pumps! And so many less things to go wrong with an EV.

My philosophy has always been get exactly what you want and don't settle or you'll never be happy with your purchase. So spend a little extra up front and enjoy, it's a great change... :)

People worry about long road trips with the MY but it is EASY! I've done several 3000 mile plus trips without any concern, and I've been in some remote areas. Yes it takes a bit more planning but once you've experienced a good trip first hand you'll get it. Oh, and most of the time you're "filling up" in your garage over night so never have to worry about hitting the pumps! And so many less things to go wrong with an EV.

My philosophy has always been get exactly what you want and don't settle or you'll never be happy with your purchase. So spend a little extra up front and enjoy, it's a great change... :)
That's a good philosophy. I looked at the Prime and was turned off by the markups and the compromise of it - so I put down $500 (refundable) on the VW ID.4 (excellent pricing, no markups, but RWD model was slower to 60 than my ICE). In the final analysis I figured: 1. I've wanted a Tesla since the day the Model S was introduced 2. If I go with anything else, I'll always wistfully stare at every Tesla I pass on the road and think "if only", 3. YOLO!

:p Haha, love the spirit here!
In all seriousness though, I'm pretty conservative with my money. That's the only reason why I'm in the position to afford a Model Y now. Just want to be reasonably sure I won't regret it.

Thanks for the feedback and reasoning! 🙏

Reactions: cusetownusa
:p Haha, love the spirit here!
In all seriousness though, I'm pretty conservative with my money. That's the only reason why I'm in the position to afford a Model Y now. Just want to be reasonably sure I won't regret it.

Thanks for the feedback and reasoning! 🙏
I think if you test drive the Rav4, you won't be blown away. You may be satisfied with the drive, but it won't be anything like the Model Y. I'm seriously considering a Y but want to see if they revise the suspension a bit and see if the tax credit is available next year :D

Test drive the RAV 4 and then the Y. Easy decision then. :)

PHEV are a pain: they suck as a gas car and they're only fun when driven as an EV, except that the range sucks. So, May as well get an EV and enjoy the power, torque and better tech 100% of the time.
This was basically my experience with a 2013 Ford C-Max in a nutshell. Compounding the problem was the extremely fast deterioration of EV miles per charge. In 4 years, went from 25 -> 12 miles per charge in the summer; 14 -> 6 when it was very cold. My charger wasn't enlightened to provide statistics but I all but stopped plugging it in except to occasionally leverage the cabin pre heat feature.

The car was buzzy and noisy as an ICE/Hybrid vehicle, saddled with carrying around hundreds of pounds of additional weight due to the battery pack (7kwh I think). It wasn't a particularly efficient as a hybrid either, returning mid 30's MPG, which is what my Civic does now.

Additional markups / availability/ cost aside, the Mach E you're taking a lot of risks on first model year headaches. Upon cursory investigation, there appear to be quite a few headaches thus far, and they haven't even shipped very many vehicles. Let Ford and their early adopters work out the kinks.

The VW ID.4 is not available yet in AWD, at least anywhere near me. Having owned a few German cars in the past, they're generally awesome then suddenly start costing thousands per year in unexpected maintenance costs, have finicky electrical gremlins for some damn reason, and eventually get dumped for a fraction of their MSRP as a result. VW at least has some experience in full electric (eGolf) but you're taking a risk on a first model year electric, and the general concern over long term German total cost of ownership in the ID 4.

My recommendation is either get a Hybrid if you like the RAV 4 form factor or go all in with EV, at which point really the only serious option is the Model Y.

You are doing the EXACT comparison I was doing when shopping for a new car. Rav4 Prime was by first pick, but the dealership wanted 11k over MSRP. That pushed me to the full EV market. Ford was looking promising, but I was concerned about the recharge stations. I'm honestly less concerned now than I was a few months ago, but a few months ago I chose Tesla due to the network.

I still get salty when I see a Rav4 Prime though ;) That said, I dont regret my decision. But if Toyota would have had the top-of-the-line Rav4 Prime in stock for MSRP, it would have been a slam dunk for them. I'm just not paying $11k over retail.