Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP HP and torque charts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did some data logging with scan my Tesla. I did a run in sport mode, and another in Chill mode. Also weighed my MYP on the truck scales at work and it came up 4,450. That is with air compressor, charging adaptors, roof sun shade, trunk bins, mud flaps etc.

After putting the data in excel I derived these charts for HP and torque in Sport mode and in Chill mode.

Enjoy!

Keith
Large Sport mode charts.jpg
Large Chill mode charts.jpg

Interesting comparison and indication of what chill mode does. A few more pieces of info would better complete that picture, like the state of battery charge and was the battery up to temp before doing these test runs, easiest way would be to do these runs as soon as the battery is charged to 95 percent ish so it would be at temp. As previously mentioned, battery size too since that is another potential variable. And since this is data coming from inside the car then we are most likely looking at energy sent to the motors I assume, so at the wheels we would have to factor in losses and we'd expected a HP number closer to 500?

Software tools such as Scan My Tesla measure the power of the electric motor, aka brake horse power (bhp). The title lists the total power measured at the front and wheels. The difference is power lost due the friction and the reduction gears inside each drive unit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zoomit
Interesting comparison and indication of what chill mode does. A few more pieces of info would better complete that picture, like the state of battery charge and was the battery up to temp before doing these test runs, easiest way would be to do these runs as soon as the battery is charged to 95 percent ish so it would be at temp. As previously mentioned, battery size too since that is another potential variable. And since this is data coming from inside the car then we are most likely looking at energy sent to the motors I assume, so at the wheels we would have to factor in losses and we'd expected a HP number closer to 500?
I’d expect losses from chp to whp to be way lower in an electric car than ICE. No transmission, etc

How does the charted motor RPM correlate to speed?

Title shows 449 HP but I don’t know how honest Tesla is with that.
That claim always puzzled me. A car as heavy as the MYP should run mid to high 12's at around 108 in the 1/4 mile if that was the available HP, but they run in the low 12's to high 11's in the 114 to 116 mph range. It is possible that my charts may be complete crap.... they were made from data logs from scan my Tesla at around 85% SOC with the battery not "exercised" other than driving far enough to burn off 5% SOC.

I think my charts may be amplified by scan my Tesla reporting the numbers in "KW" and me doing the conversion into HP... I am wondering if the data log results are actually in HP? I didn't question my results because I had read 1/4 mile results on the MYP and the numbers provided by scan my Tesla matched up fairly well with what I would expect out of a high 11 second car of this weight. Now I wonder if scan my Tesla was reporting in HP? If so, my charts are the correct shape, but amplified by 1.3

Keith

<edit>Just did some digging on M3 performance dyno charts (since they have dyno mode) and found someone getting 522 measured at the wheels in his M3P... doing conservative gear box and dyno losses of 10% since it is a simple drive train gets you 574 at the motors.</edit>

Last edited:
Reactions: Schulz1983
I’d expect losses from chp to whp to be way lower in an electric car than ICE. No transmission, etc

How does the charted motor RPM correlate to speed?
I would too, however the only dyno results I have seen for a MYP were 502 HP and that's at the wheel.
Amazing Tesla Model Y Performance Dyno Test Results: Over 500HP!
Are there any other dyno tests since then that show more than 502 ? I have not found any. Doubtful it has gotten that much better and no new stories on this topic.

That aside, it was an interesting comparison to see the affects of chill mode, good to know. Thanks.

Software tools such as Scan My Tesla measure the power of the electric motor, aka brake horse power (bhp). The title lists the total power measured at the front and wheels. The difference is power lost due the friction and the reduction gears inside each drive unit.
The only way to measure the power at the wheels is on a Dyno; PMY Dyno tests yield ~502 HP. The Scan My Tesla chart shows ~575 HP (close to 600 HP) combined front and rear motors.) What would account for the loss of ~70+ HP?

The only way to measure the power at the wheels is on a Dyno; PMY Dyno tests yield ~502 HP. The Scan My Tesla chart shows ~575 HP (close to 600 HP) combined front and rear motors.) What would account for the loss of ~70+ HP?
My guess is the total HP for each motor is being added together, when in reality those motors will peak at different times. So while theoretically, IF the motors peaked at the same RPM, you would see 575 hp. However, since the most likely peak at different times, you likely will see an actual lower number from the dyno. So assuming 10% loss to the wheels, you would see a peak HP form the motors at around 557 hp at the motor.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I believe ScanMyTesla can only see power "sent" to the motors in kW of electricity. How that power is translated to actual work done by the motors is a different thing. There is most certainly some kind of loss, for example in the converter than brings that back to AC, etc. On top of that, ScanMyTesla could have a bug and not quite report the right values. That has happened before.
I love looking at SMT in my car, but I would think a Dyno is required to get real output power information.

Chill Mode produces quite a bit less power! Do we get more range if we keep the car running in Chill Mode?
Not measurably more; when you drive at a steady 70 MPH on the highway it does not matter whether you are in Chill mode or Normal/Sport mode. The power used to maintain your speed is fraction of the total output available, even in Chill mode (~50% of Normal/Sport mode power.)

Reactions: GtiMart