Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP slid while parked on a snow-covered driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else is having this problem? Doesn't happen on my ICE but happened twice to my MYP already. I have 20" pilot sport all season 4 tires that only had like 6k miles on them. Is there a way to prevent this?

Put whatever brand tires that you have on your ICE vehicle on the tesla?

I had this happen once on my MY before I put on my winter studded tires. I watched it happen and noticed only the rear tires were locked, the front tires spun freely. In a front wheel drive car the transmission will lock the fronts and the parking brake(if set) will lock the rears. Not sure if there is a way to lock the fronts on a MY.

This is a known issue with the Tesla Model Y, other Tesla vehicles. This is noted in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - Parking Brake.

Warning! - In snowy or icy conditions the rear wheels may not have sufficient traction to prevent Model Y from sliding down a slope, particularly if not using winter tires. Avoid parking on hills in snowy or icy conditions. You are always responsible for parking safely.

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Never park the Tesla on a sloped driveway or parking space that is covered in snow or ice. The Tesla vehicle is only held by the rear brakes when parked, the front wheels are not locked by a transmission as with ICE vehicles with an automatic transmission. (Think of the Tesla vehicle as if it was a heavy RWD vehicle with with a manual transmission.) Only the parking brake prevents the rear wheels from moving, there is nothing locking the front wheels. On snow or ice the rear tires can easily break free and slide, the front tires will start to roll.

The driveway or parking space must be clear of snow and ice. Apply cat litter or other abrasives to the driveway to improve traction. There are Youtube videos that show the Tesla Model 3 sliding shortly after being parked.

If you have to park on the street be sure to point the Tesla vehicle down hill if possible with the front wheels angled towards the curb. (If you must park facing up hill then angle the front wheels away from the curb.) When possible position the Tesla vehicle so that the front tire contacts the curb.

Anybody else is having this problem? Doesn't happen on my ICE but happened twice to my MYP already. I have 20" pilot sport all season 4 tires that only had like 6k miles on them. Is there a way to prevent this?
Likely bacause MYP is heavier than yout ICE, and front wheels aren't locked on parked MYP - so chock it.

Attachments

• 96479_W5.jpg
    96479_W5.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 568
  • 96479_W3.jpg
    96479_W3.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 53
What if you press and hold the park button for 3-4 seconds. Isn’t there a secondary brake applied?
No; there is only one parking brake function. The parking brake function locks both rear wheels when applied. The parking brake is automatically applied when you press the button on the end of the right side stalk beside on the steering wheel while standing still or when you open the driver's door (not recommended but it works to enter Park.) If you press and hold the stalk button after the Tesla Model Y is in Park this reapplies the parking brake.

If you press and hold the button on the right stalk beside the steering wheel while the Tesla vehicle is moving it functions like an emergency brake and will slow the Tesla vehicle until you release the button.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Weight distribution does factor in somewhat though…
Sure, as does weight in a general sense. A car that weighs twice as much as a Civic with relatively wide tires is essentially a toboggan loaded with lithium bricks. Doesn’t take much to overcome that inertia.

OP seems to think the fact that he paid 70K for this car means he gets a pass on physics. ;)

Not the tires, not the weight, not the weight distribution.
Every single one of these things has a significant effect. This is 10th grade physics. Mass, slope, coefficient of friction.
As some people here have written — no way to lock the front wheels of a parked Tesla. So it has 2 locked wheels vs. ICE cars that have 4 locked wheels. That’s a big difference.
Lots of ICE cars have only two locked wheels, and TBH the effect of 2 vs 4 with a very heavy car on wide non-winter tires is fairly inconsequential.

Last winter Tommy L Garage showed that a Model Y with those same tires was able to drive up an icy hill:

This lends credence to the idea that the problem is 2 locked wheels instead of 4. The only other thing I can think of is that at a certain temperature the extra weight of the Tesla is causing some of the ice to melt and become more slippery.