Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owners

I would highly recommend getting this Air Vent cover to prevent the attached image!

62EF6E7C-A750-4726-A257-97AF07AB45FC.jpeg

Nearly happened to me, when the beads of some bracket fell apart in the car. Luckily I had this installed today.

I would try secure it down with some masking tape if it comes off because of the sticky tape when using warm air. Worked for me so far!

Try copying and pasting the the Link below for amazon

Amazon.co.uk

Attachments

• 1672315623495.gif
    1672315623495.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 38
Reactions: sliyk
in my previous cars I have never curbed any wheels.
I have done 2 in a week on my myp 😂😢😢

I have booked with tesla to in January
Quoted 87+ vat

Not the end of the world !
Ha really , same here I feel such a Wally as I’ve never curbed a wheel in last 6 years and two ranger rover evoques !
I know we all are aware the tire does not give us any protection, but the wheels are so vulnerable .

I thought Tesla would only sell you a new wheel ?
Is the £87 + vat to refurb each wheel ? Did not know they would offer that service.
If so as you say that’s very reasonable to sort it out 👍

New owners

I would highly recommend getting this Air Vent cover to prevent the attached image!

62EF6E7C-A750-4726-A257-97AF07AB45FC.jpeg

Nearly happened to me, when the beads of some bracket fell apart in the car. Luckily I had this installed today.

I would try secure it down with some masking tape if it comes off because of the sticky tape when using warm air. Worked for me so far!

Try copying and pasting the the Link below for amazon

Amazon.co.uk
Already installed lol

Attachments

• 477078FD-FE0C-40D6-AD2B-4558A9B47FC6.jpeg
    477078FD-FE0C-40D6-AD2B-4558A9B47FC6.jpeg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: sliyk
Seeing this pains me so much. I paid full retail £70k 3rd dec 😑
Lots of us did, you’re not alone.
Personally I’m ok with that because it’s an amazing car and it was worth it to me when I ordered , nothing has changed about that because of a few end of quarter discounts. collected on 22nd though and got the 6k free supercharger miles though so maybe that takes the edge off.

Reactions: Sanjiv
Word of warning……. Check boot has fully closed……. Had the experience today of leaving family after Xmas visit… car loaded to the brim…… waving goodbye and suitcases and luckily robust gifts all fly out the back as I accelerate away…… no warning beeps at all like on past car……..boot had closed but not ‘locked’ …obviously wife got the blame…. but could have been much worse on a busier roads or fragile contents.

Reactions: Sanjiv
Does anyone have any experience with Paint Protection in any capacity? My MYP is a 4 year lease, but I'm tempted to keep it looking it's best. From what I've read I'd be better with a ceramic coating instead of PPF as the later could be an issue when handing it back, whereas ceramic is essentially a wax treatment?

What kind of costs am I looking at?

Does anyone have any experience with Paint Protection in any capacity? My MYP is a 4 year lease, but I'm tempted to keep it looking it's best. From what I've read I'd be better with a ceramic coating instead of PPF as the later could be an issue when handing it back, whereas ceramic is essentially a wax treatment?

Yeah ceramic is similar to a wax although it actually bonds to the paintwork. £400+ for a professional job I’d say. How long it lasts is debatable (1-2 years in my experience) but does depend on where you store your car i.e. in a garage it will last much longer.

Ceramic looks great and makes the car easier to clean but it’s an expensive outlay, especially for a lease. If you have the time/space then think about doing yourself. The prep is probably the most important part as the paint needs to be free of contaminants for the polymers to bond to the paintwork.

A really good, relatively cheap option is something like gtechniq c2v3. It’s easy to apply, is great on paint and glass (the Y has lots!) and the coating lasts about 2-3 months.

Maybe it’s just me, but ceramic coating seems like a scam.

I’m not suggesting it doesn’t do anything, but it’s basically just wiping a polish over the car and buffing it. Some of what I’ve heard people paying for that is ridiculous when it isn’t going to do anything to protect you from rock chips or the kind of scratch damage that PPF would offer. They’re not comparable in my opinion.

Just keep it clean and you’ll be fine.

Maybe it’s just me, but ceramic coating seems like a scam.

I’m not suggesting it doesn’t do anything, but it’s basically just wiping a polish over the car and buffing it. Some of what I’ve heard people paying for that is ridiculous when it isn’t going to do anything to protect you from rock chips or the kind of scratch damage that PPF would offer. They’re not comparable in my opinion.

Just keep it clean and you’ll be fine.
Much of the cost is in polishing the paint and removing defects. The actual application of the coating is an hours work, and the coatings themselves vary from £10 which is no more than a decent wax, up to £50-£70 for one of the more premium ones. You can have a ceramic coating put on with minimal paint correction cheaply if not a DIY job.

The benefit thereafter is keeping it clean is easier and less likely to introduce marring to the paint as dirt washes of easier if you follow a largely contactless cleaning process.

Returning a car which has had a ceramic coating applied won’t have any noticeable evidence unlike PPF. As my previous post says, much of the cost is removing any defects in the paint which you can spend as little or as much as you want. Some will just give the car a quick buff up and then coat it, others will try and get the paint into fantastic condition which takes longer and costs more. I’d suggest the former is all that is needed if you want to go down that route. But it’s only worth doing if you really like a clean car and happily clean it yourself each week taking care to minimise scratches. Ceramic coating will help if you do. If you’re a “drive in car wash” with people spraying chemicals all over the car to clean it, it’s not worth it as they’ll trash the paint for you regardless