Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP UK Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting tweet about US MYPs having LR rear brakes and fancy red covers.. Do you think we have the same? Is anyone planning to take a wheel off soon?:) I know it's almost irrelevant with regen braking etc, but in an emergency, every mm counts and we paid for them!

This was posted the other day. As I mentioned there I’d expect it’s related to the change of supplier from Brembo to Mando for the rear brakes, rather than anything nefarious given there haven’t been widespread complaints about brake performance since they started shipping in August.

This was posted the other day. As I mentioned there I’d expect it’s related to the change of supplier from Brembo to Mando for the rear brakes, rather than anything nefarious given there haven’t been widespread complaints about brake performance since they started shipping in August.
Hmm, I guess I Didn't search well enough.. So it did impact our cars? Surely the size of the pad is going to impact braking performance? It's a different supplier sure but the pad is clearly much smaller.

Hmm, I guess I Didn't search well enough.. So it did impact our cars? Surely the size of the pad is going to impact braking performance? It's a different supplier sure but the pad is clearly much smaller.
I honestly haven’t looked yet, though my reaction to seeing it was “neat, I can change the calliper colours more easily”

The brake rotor is still larger than the regular LR so there’s more disc surface area to grab and it’ll heat up less quickly.

If the calliper is gripping with the right amount of pressure then the difference of a smaller one would be negligible. Given when the M3 originally came out they pushed a sotware update that changed the brake pattern and dramatically reduced stopping distances, I’m not sure we’re hardware limited on whats there anyway.

Folks has anyone done a really in-depth review of UK Model Y Performance since it arrived, its been a few weeks guys come on I dont see even mr RSEV on YouTube yet with a MYP, is there something you're not telling us, how are you getting on without parking sensors.. I'm still torn between MYP and MYLR with performance boost, biggest fear is parking with those 21 Uberturbines!
Great write up from Andy B. My two pence after a month…

Performance needless to say is awesome - not sure that mortals would notice much difference to the LR+, but I suspect that the suspension set-up is actually more important (lowered so less float).

Those alloys…yes they terrify me, but they are gorgeous. Having had a car delivered with a gouged wheel and still waiting for Tesla to replace it (parts supply seems to be appalling - my first Tesla…is this normal?), I can see them being very easily kerbed or pothole damaged. I have a pack of Alloygators ready to be fitted when Tesla finally get their sh1t together instead of just cancelling my service appointments. Others seem to have taken alloy insurance which is probably not a bad shout.

Parking sensors - hate it without. But it’s not much different to when I learnt to drive, except the car is massive in comparison and spaces all seem much smaller! Maybe it’s an age thing! Very irritated that Tesla took this away but have still taken money for EAP and only given a “coming soon” statement. Given how poor their communication was for the year whilst waiting for delivery, this does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling, and I think it is very poor on a car at this price. Can I cope? Yes. Do I think it will get dinged before the problem is addressed by Tesla? Sadly probably!

Charging - like Andy B, did a biggish trip over Xmas. 2 stops at Warwick M40 there and back and in the time it took to get coffee and respond to natures call, enough juice went in for a 450 mile round trip, starting on 99% and finishing on c20%. Which brings me to…

Economy. I clearly need to lighten my right foot! The difference in economy from an increase of 10mph at motorway speeds is astonishing. Ok so I was driving in lashing rain and windy conditions, but I had hoped an electric car would not be this penalising for wanting get somewhere at the speed I would have driven an ICE car. I am going to have to discover a whole new way of driving which includes patience! 😬

Great write up from Andy B. My two pence after a month…

Performance needless to say is awesome - not sure that mortals would notice much difference to the LR+, but I suspect that the suspension set-up is actually more important (lowered so less float).

Those alloys…yes they terrify me, but they are gorgeous. Having had a car delivered with a gouged wheel and still waiting for Tesla to replace it (parts supply seems to be appalling - my first Tesla…is this normal?), I can see them being very easily kerbed or pothole damaged. I have a pack of Alloygators ready to be fitted when Tesla finally get their sh1t together instead of just cancelling my service appointments. Others seem to have taken alloy insurance which is probably not a bad shout.

Parking sensors - hate it without. But it’s not much different to when I learnt to drive, except the car is massive in comparison and spaces all seem much smaller! Maybe it’s an age thing! Very irritated that Tesla took this away but have still taken money for EAP and only given a “coming soon” statement. Given how poor their communication was for the year whilst waiting for delivery, this does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling, and I think it is very poor on a car at this price. Can I cope? Yes. Do I think it will get dinged before the problem is addressed by Tesla? Sadly probably!

Charging - like Andy B, did a biggish trip over Xmas. 2 stops at Warwick M40 there and back and in the time it took to get coffee and respond to natures call, enough juice went in for a 450 mile round trip, starting on 99% and finishing on c20%. Which brings me to…

Economy. I clearly need to lighten my right foot! The difference in economy from an increase of 10mph at motorway speeds is astonishing. Ok so I was driving in lashing rain and windy conditions, but I had hoped an electric car would not be this penalising for wanting get somewhere at the speed I would have driven an ICE car. I am going to have to discover a whole new way of driving which includes patience! 😬
I could never drive below 70 on an unimpeded motorway, that's just creating another hazard on the road and I get annoyed when I see people driving at 56MPH on their speedo so are getting overtaken by HGV's with GPS or calibrated ones.. As for EV's, unpopular opinion, unless you are running out of battery, do 70 ffs..;) And if you are, plan better!

Had mine about 3 weeks now, some initial thoughts and experience so far:

Quality wise, from everything I read online I was expecting stiff suspension and build quality issues. Lucky enough I haven’t experienced any of these, build quality seems decent enough and I haven’t found any scuffs or panel gaps. Everything works well. Ride comfort is decent and considering it’s tuned for performance it’s not overly stiff at all. Ive had BMW’s which much stiffer suspension in the past. Happy on that front as I was quite worried about the ride comfort having only test-drove a non performance.

No range anxiety when using the Tesla navigation as it plans any required changing stops. However the stops are more frequent than I was expecting, I’m probably getting about 220miles of range on average. Can get more by driving 50 or under on the motorways but nobody bought the performance variant to do this. I was expecting at least 280 miles of the acclaimed 319 miles in the winter.

Diving aggressively hammers the range even further. When I first took delivery, on putting the foot down you could hear the surge of electricity as the car took off which was quite cool but after a little while my reaction to that sound is more like “Oh no, my poor range! That’s another 3% gone…”. Taking off at the lights will cost you 3% most of the time.

No USS sucks! I can park it fine using the mirror and cameras displayed but you do have to take it a bit slower and concentrate a lot more than if you had the beeps from USS. This does feel like a step backwards, especially as a lot of the Tesla features are to assist the driver and make driving easier.

Cameras at night leave quite a bit to be desired. They work fine in the day but when it comes to dark roads with no lighting I often get camera visibility obstruction messages showing on the screen, and when using them for parking in the dark they are not the best unless the street is lit up. These should have better night vision for sure. Even my home doorbell camera does a far superior job.

Door handles are weird. No matter how many times I go to get in the car, using the door handles feels very unnatural having to press with the thumb and grab the rest of the handle. Why not just have a button that requires less force and pop the door open, just how it works when opening the door from the inside.

Autopilot is great, this works really well to the point where you actually want to use it more often than not, especially on long motorway runs. Using the EAP features such as auto steer also works really well, the car basically drives itself then, although it doesn’t like roundabouts and has done some really weird things there!

Sound system is great as with all the rest of the infotainment system.

Overall, I’m not blown away with Tesla hype as there are some things that could be better but in my opinion so far the good outweigh the bad. Mostly I wish the range didn’t take such a hit when you actually use the “performance” that you paid for.

Had mine about 3 weeks now, some initial thoughts and experience so far:

Quality wise, from everything I read online I was expecting stiff suspension and build quality issues. Lucky enough I haven’t experienced any of these, build quality seems decent enough and I haven’t found any scuffs or panel gaps. Everything works well. Ride comfort is decent and considering it’s tuned for performance it’s not overly stiff at all. Ive had BMW’s which much stiffer suspension in the past. Happy on that front as I was quite worried about the ride comfort having only test-drove a non performance.

No range anxiety when using the Tesla navigation as it plans any required changing stops. However the stops are more frequent than I was expecting, I’m probably getting about 220miles of range on average. Can get more by driving 50 or under on the motorways but nobody bought the performance variant to do this. I was expecting at least 280 miles of the acclaimed 319 miles in the winter.

Diving aggressively hammers the range even further. When I first took delivery, on putting the foot down you could hear the surge of electricity as the car took off which was quite cool but after a little while my reaction to that sound is more like “Oh no, my poor range! That’s another 3% gone…”. Taking off at the lights will cost you 3% most of the time.

No USS sucks! I can park it fine using the mirror and cameras displayed but you do have to take it a bit slower and concentrate a lot more than if you had the beeps from USS. This does feel like a step backwards, especially as a lot of the Tesla features are to assist the driver and make driving easier.

Cameras at night leave quite a bit to be desired. They work fine in the day but when it comes to dark roads with no lighting I often get camera visibility obstruction messages showing on the screen, and when using them for parking in the dark they are not the best unless the street is lit up. These should have better night vision for sure. Even my home doorbell camera does a far superior job.

Door handles are weird. No matter how many times I go to get in the car, using the door handles feels very unnatural having to press with the thumb and grab the rest of the handle. Why not just have a button that requires less force and pop the door open, just how it works when opening the door from the inside.

Autopilot is great, this works really well to the point where you actually want to use it more often than not, especially on long motorway runs. Using the EAP features such as auto steer also works really well, the car basically drives itself then, although it doesn’t like roundabouts and has done some really weird things there!

Sound system is great as with all the rest of the infotainment system.

Overall, I’m not blown away with Tesla hype as there are some things that could be better but in my opinion so far the good outweigh the bad. Mostly I wish the range didn’t take such a hit when you actually use the “performance” that you paid for.
Please never do 50 unimpeded on the motorway, you'll give us all a bad name.

I think you get the same issue with an ICE car, if you mash the accelerator at every opportunity your range will fall, not as much as the tesla sure but unless your ICE was a supercar, it's nowhere near as quick or as fun or done as often due to the antisocial noise..

Please never do 50 unimpeded on the motorway, you'll give us all a bad name.

I think you get the same issue with an ICE car, if you mash the accelerator at every opportunity your range will fall, not as much as the tesla sure but unless your ICE was a supercar, it's nowhere near as quick or as fun or done as often due to the antisocial noise..
Haha of course, more of a hazard rolling along the motorway at that speed!

True, you can also burn through fuel like that in an ICE car, all though thats less of a concern as its only 2 minutes to refuel which doesn't effect journey time vs a 30 minute charge. Also Ive found charging on the go is not really much cheaper than petrol/diesel in terms of cost per mile, where you make the saving though is charging from home which is the majority of time for me at least.

Reactions: Andy B
Had the MYP for nearly 3 weeks now and still loving the car.

I drove a BMW M2 daily for 4 years and still have that car. I got back into the BM this weekend and it felt very very dated and not all that fast. (Although the sound was nice to hear again).

The Tesla Performance is crazy, acceleration from around 30+ is where you feel the kick back most. I drove a friends Lotus Evora 3.5 supercharged last week and that didn't feel like it had much go after driving the MYP every day.

Handling is good. Not too much body roll considering it's a fairly tall car but I'm sure all the batteries low down help the COG.

Brakes - Really good and sharp.

Parking - No issue. Just need to be slow like a pro, not fast like an ass (Boating terms). The cameras really help. Beeping would be nice but it's not the end of the world. The wife has a RR Velar and that feels huge to drive. The MYP actually feels like a small car compared to the RR but the Tesla has way more storage space and leg room inside, front and back.

Charging is a breeze. Mostly charge at home (Octopus intelligence). Costs around £8-£10 to fill the car to 100% from 20%. The BM used to cost £60-£70 for the same range...

Heating the car from the app before getting in is really nice. Especially being able to heat the steering wheel and seats.

Sound system is amazing. Really enjoying the Apple music.

I really don't have anything negative or even any niggles to say about the car so far.

Had the MYP for nearly 3 weeks now and still loving the car.

I drove a BMW M2 daily for 4 years and still have that car. I got back into the BM this weekend and it felt very very dated and not all that fast. (Although the sound was nice to hear again).

The Tesla Performance is crazy, acceleration from around 30+ is where you feel the kick back most. I drove a friends Lotus Evora 3.5 supercharged last week and that didn't feel like it had much go after driving the MYP every day.

Handling is good. Not too much body roll considering it's a fairly tall car but I'm sure all the batteries low down help the COG.

Brakes - Really good and sharp.

Parking - No issue. Just need to be slow like a pro, not fast like an ass (Boating terms). The cameras really help. Beeping would be nice but it's not the end of the world. The wife has a RR Velar and that feels huge to drive. The MYP actually feels like a small car compared to the RR but the Tesla has way more storage space and leg room inside, front and back.

Charging is a breeze. Mostly charge at home (Octopus intelligence). Costs around £8-£10 to fill the car to 100% from 20%. The BM used to cost £60-£70 for the same range...

Heating the car from the app before getting in is really nice. Especially being able to heat the steering wheel and seats.

Sound system is amazing. Really enjoying the Apple music.

I really don't have anything negative or even any niggles to say about the car so far.
hmm, MYP/M2 sounds like my perfect garage :)

Reactions: Tesalarr
Does anyone else think the auto wipers suck? Seem to be always too fast or just keep going when the rain stops.

I’m 3 weeks in and don’t think there’s much I don’t like about it. Lack of parking sensors does suck tbh. Other gripe is the constant camera warnings when driving in the dark.

I’ve found that driving in chill mode definitely helps with the range. I wish you could switch between chill and sport using voice commands.

It’s an awesome car and the positives far outweigh any negatives.

Reactions: Sanjiv
We've also had the MYP ~3 weeks. Here's my summary as a comparison to the 2018 Model S P100D I px'd against it.

Performance. Realistically, more than adequate most of the time. It's not close to the P100D, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It's not too far behind the S in Ludicrous mode which ran a Dragy 0-60 of 3.12s (2.94s with 1ft rollout) 8c dry road. The Model S Ludricrous+ and Ludicrous+ warp modes are quicker, but these two modes are really "bragging rights" modes as you have to prep the battery so they're not accessible right off the drive / lights. I haven't run Dragy for the MYP yet, but will do and post when conditions are similar.
Comfort. Cabin comfort is miles better than the S, mainly down to the height and entry/exit. Rear passenger room is much better, especially the feet space (my 6'2'' son had no complaints). Ride comfort can't complete with the air suspension in the S and I do miss the adjustable ride height set by speed and geo-location. That said, the MYP feels more sporty / planted.
Practicality. The space matches / exceeds the Model S and is more usable as the boot is so much higher with a bigger opening. The rear window view is just as limited as the model S was. Heating is much better and considerably less punishing on SOC (resistive heating in S no match for MYP's heat pump). Range "feels" better than the S for day to day pottering around, mainly down to the heating mentioned, but I need to see how things are in the summer. I don't miss the dash as much as I expected I would. One pedal driving is better; the S never pulled you to a complete stop (rectified in later models). Much prefer the considerably smaller steering wheel of the MYP. I do miss the USS big time, but per others, I'll cope.
Sound System. As good as, if not better than the S.

I had an i4 M50 on order for 1yr+. I drove the first demonstrator and did not like the scrabble for grip at the front end (like torque steer). The interior feel and kit knocked the spots off both the S and the MYP (IMHO), but rear space really let it down.

All-in-all, I'm totally happy I made the move, not least because Tesla paid me for the change and I made a small amount of money on the S :)

Nice reviews everyone. Can relate to benb_ on range expectations versus reality…somewhat disappointing but maybe it gets better when the weather improves? (I’m opting for that rather than 50mph!).

Also noticed that sentry mode is quite a heavy consumer when not plugged in (2-4% overnight). Certainly would have to think twice about using it if I dropped the car into an airport car park and went off on holiday.

Phantom braking..I’ve had this twice now. Both in motorway roadworks, once where the works entrance opened up the concrete barrier and then it panicked when the concrete reappeared, and once on stupidly narrow lanes coming up to pass a car in the left side lane. Both times when cruise/lane assist is on. Makes me nervous of using the double tap now. Anyone else had this?

Reactions: benb_ and JamiePP