Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ almost closed on car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had it parked just [10 feet] outside the garage in the driveway most of the day, went to pull it in and just as I pulled Inside it started to close, No 10 sec delay, No lights flashing.
So heads up, I would never be fast enough to stop it using the screen controls. I moved the sensor beam eyes higher so if the car is in the way it won't pass under the frame and let it close. I would rather squish the dogs than the car, ;] I'm kidding!!

This is precisely why I disabled the auto-open and auto-close features shortly after buying my first used Model S back in 2017.
It tried to close the garage on the roof of the car, never trusted it again.
It's not that hard to touch the "screen button" to open/close once you find where the latest Tesla firmware update moved it!

They are still connected, I just moved them up about 5 inches, so they won't pass under the car without getting blocked
I used to have this problem until I did what you did: raise the sensors higher to cover the bumpers' height.

Some don't like this solution because the sensors can't detect living things that are not as high as cars' bumpers.

I was really hoping MyQ integration would solve the geofence problem where homelink would shut the door on top of your car, but it looks like this continues to be a problem, unless you override the safety mechanisms by raising the sensors to bumper height. At least since MyQ knows the state of the door, auto open with MyQ should be safer than homelink’s, but it would be nice if you could set the auto close distance to something far enough from the garage that it would never accidentally trigger while you’re under it. Maybe they’ll add this in a future update?

I think the fundamental problem is that Palo Alto is so expensive that none of the engineers can afford houses with garages so they just have no idea how this gizmo is used or what it does. Case-in-point being the recent update which hides the garage CANCEL button in tiny grey-on-grey font way over on the map where it's mixed in with the clock instead of making it the biggest boldest thing in the entire car.

Also, if you set the open distance to something greater than the 70ft default, the CANCEL button is invalidated as it doesn't appear until after the garage has already been triggered.

Someone at Tesla needs to get a home and a spouse, maybe even a kid or two, and learn something about the way people use garage doors.

I used to have this problem until I did what you did: raise the sensors higher to cover the bumpers' height.

Some don't like this solution because the sensors can't detect living things that are not as high as cars' bumpers.
I originally had my sensors about 6" off the ground. One morning as my wife closed the garage door on her way to work our cat tried to duck under the door as it was closing. The sensors were not interrupted and the door closed on the cat crushing and killing her. Now my sensors are 3" off the ground.

I have HomeLink, not MyQ, but this is precisely why I only use the geofenced/proximity based OPEN, and have the close function completely disabled.
How do you deal with wanting to park in the driveway and not having the garage door open? This is the logic which escapes me. There is no way for teh car to know if I want to park in the driveway or the garage.

I have HomeLink, not MyQ, but this is precisely why I only use the geofenced/proximity based OPEN, and have the close function completely disabled.
The problem with homelink is that it doesn’t know if your garage door is open or shut. It just sends a binary signal and the door either opens OR closes. I had homelink set to auto open only, and one day, while adjusting my car in the garage, with the door open, it decided to send the signal to the door with my car halfway through the threshold. As soon as I heard the door, I accelerated quickly and was able to get my rear tires to trigger the optical sensor, and prevent the door from coming down on my trunk, but many others have not been so lucky. I don’t trust the homelink geofence because it never should have triggered while I was inside my garage… but it did. At least with MyQ, it should know that the door is open, and never trigger an auto close. But like homelink, I’m still wary to trust the geofence completely for closing (that, and the scenario where my wife leaves the house right before me and triggers an auto close while I’m pulling out of the garage).

Oh man, so sorry to hear this.

I know some people add a second set of sensors at bumper height, but I need to learn how to do that. You’d think in 2023, we’d have smarter garage door sensors that create a plane that spans the entire threshold.

• Love
Reactions: Transformer
The manual states that the reversing sensors be no more than 6" off the floor. That is generally under the number. But installing higher does put you at legal risk if something bad happens with a kid.

I do with they offered secondary sensors, but the sensors have a protocol to communicate to the opener that does not support a second sensor. Best one could do is another sensor that cuts the power to the current sensor. Or perhaps a mirror that would reflect the beam back up at an angle and have both sensors on the same side.

How do you deal with wanting to park in the driveway and not having the garage door open? This is the logic which escapes me. There is no way for teh car to know if I want to park in the driveway or the garage.
I don't have a driveway, so I don't have that problem. If I did, considering I charge my car in the garage, 9 times out of 10 I will be parking in the garage. On the one time I do, I know to just click cancel before HomeLink gets the chance to open it.