Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious static/hissing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my M3 for about 3 weeks ..on my drive I heard the hissing sound. Did a quick search which lead me here. It's very annoying and amazed that Tesla hasn't fixed this yet. I sxhesched an appt but sounds like the only fix is to disconnect the speaker which I'll have them do unless it becomes unbearable and I'll do it myself.

Have had my M3 for about 3 weeks ..on my drive I heard the hissing sound. Did a quick search which lead me here. It's very annoying and amazed that Tesla hasn't fixed this yet. I sxhesched an appt but sounds like the only fix is to disconnect the speaker which I'll have them do unless it becomes unbearable and I'll do it myself.

Don’t even bother coming in. Waste of time. The chances that 1) the problem will be reproduced at the time you bring in your car and 2) a service rep will actually know what to do...are low.

Better to wait until Tesla has an official plan.

No. My tech tried replacing the speaker first but the problem persisted. So he then requested MCU replacement and the issue got fixed.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you remember if they also needed to replace the 15" touch screen while replacing your MCU? I have been confused about whether or not the touch screen is part of the MCU...

I've had my M3 for 2 weeks and just today heard the hissing sound also. I've turned the speakers off and the AC/fans off and still heard it while driving or in Park. I'm pretty sure it's the coolant pump system for the battery. If accurate, this youtube video
shows the piping running under the seats and the fluid runs throughout the battery pack. We can probably test it out by setting the navigation to a supercharging station (this will start the preheating of the battery and the coolant fluid will be pumped) and hear if the hissing sound starts.

Another sound that startled me is when you lock/unlock the charging port from inside the car on the display while charging, you hear a quick thump like a hammer hit the underbelly of your car. I'm sure it's just the charging contacts opening/closing.

Reactions: Petrlol
We've got a few different types of hissing / static noises going in this thread.

I know 100% that mine is coming from the speaker under the dash. Took the panel down that holds the speaker and put it up against my ear. Definitely coming from it. Unhooked it, no noise. Hooked it back up, noise.

That being said, I have also heard the coolant noise, but it's not often and at least sounds "normal"... though annoying.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Just wanted to update thread. Was at Tesla CLT for windshield replacement and asked about the status of cpu replacement request (put in by mobile tech). Instructions to techs from engineering was that they think they can fix via software update. It will be 19.20. If this doesn't work then they will be replacing. Not sure how long before that update gets here but either way (unless there is some other issue besides just the static noise) I will just wait for the FSD swap. Painters tape is working just fine.

I cracked this nut! ... I think. I need some people to help out and see if they can reproduce it in the same way.

My theory is the hissing/interference sound heard from the passenger side speaker under the glovebox is caused when the 12V battery is being charged.

I came up with this theory while setting up to perform this test of when the 12V outlet has power after the car is shut off: How and when does the 12v battery get charged?

I was in the car, plugged in a 12V adapter and was charging an iPad. I then unplugged the device and coincidentally started noticing the hissing coming from under the glovebox. It went away after a bit. I plugged the 12V adapter back in for a bit, then unplugged it again. Sound came back.

So my theory is that the 12V got drained a bit from charging, and after unplugging that triggered the car to decide to top up the 12V.

Anyone care to try to confirm?

It's going to be really tricky to try to get service centre to ever reproduce this, but if you can easily do this by charging a device via the 12V outlet and unplugging then maybe we'll help them reproduce it and come up with a proper fix.

Or have I missed some posts and there is a proper fix? For now I've just covered the speaker with a post-it note and that's enough to not really notice it when it happens. It is still annoying though :D

I cracked this nut! ... I think. I need some people to help out and see if they can reproduce it in the same way.

Interesting theory. I just brought my car into service for this (again) and maybe I can bring this up. I do want to mention for the people who are unplugging the speaker, I was told that this speaker is where the collision alerts comes out of so it may not be safe to unplug.

So I bought it up and they took note of it, however they said this is a known issue that Tesla is working on. They will resolve it future with a firmware update, which I'm kind of skeptical of if it's a hardware problem.

Anyone else tired of hearing "oh it's a firmware problem" it's like if the service center doesn't have it on their master how to fix guide that's their go to. Must be the software /shrug !