Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious static/hissing noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so, at least for me, it is definitely the speaker under the glovebox. If you pull off the panel where the speaker is, you can disconnect the speaker and the sound indeed goes away. That speaker is supposedly a backup for chimes when the rest of the sound system is not functioning. So i'm just leaving it unplugged for now until someone else is actually able to get tesla SC to correctly fix it.

so, at least for me, it is definitely the speaker under the glovebox. If you pull off the panel where the speaker is, you can disconnect the speaker and the sound indeed goes away. That speaker is supposedly a backup for chimes when the rest of the sound system is not functioning. So i'm just leaving it unplugged for now until someone else is actually able to get tesla SC to correctly fix it.

Thank you so much! I unplugged mine and can definitely notice the difference between plugged and unplugged, though I think my hearing may be more sensitive than others. Hope this thing being unplugged doesn't cause a fault or anything in the system.

Thank you so much! I unplugged mine and can definitely notice the difference between plugged and unplugged, though I think my hearing may be more sensitive than others. Hope this thing being unplugged doesn't cause a fault or anything in the system.

I have the same issue coming from the passenger footwell but I'm not ready to open up the panel to mess with the speaker.

My experience has been that it will make the noise soon after I get in the car and will go away after about 15 minutes of driving and not return unless the car is sitting for a while - not sure how long though. I sat in my car with the air on warming the car to 70F from about 55F ambient. After a while I plugged it in and started charging on my 240V and after about 5 minutes it went away. Not sure if it was because I started charging or that the car was just warming for 20-30 minutes.

I was wondering if it was a temperature issue for some component in the car since warming up the interior / driving the car seems to help it but if folks in the Bay Area (California) in July are noticing it, then I'm not so sure.

Full notes below:
  • Car Details
    • Manufactured Sept 2018
    • LR AWD (non-performance) / Premium Interior
  • Description of Noise
    • Sounds like hissing or electrical interference. The noise isn't consistent like a blowing air vent but seems chaotic.
    • OP captured the sound I am hearing:
  • Location of Noise
    • Coming from passenger footwell
    • Sounds like it's coming from a speaker that has a circular vent on the left side of the passenger footwell.
    • Image taken from youtube video shows the panel removed and the speaker. Second image from my Model 3.
      • yHougns

• 6XoFZdt
    • Covering the vent with my hand muffles the sound so it seems clear its coming from the speaker.
  • Experiences
    • Note on Climate
      • Regarding climate, this all takes place in Pennsylvania in October and November 2018. Temperatures have been averaging in the 50F's during the day in late October/early November.
    • General Historical Observations
      • I have noticed the noise probably 6 to 8 times over 4 weeks of ownership
      • Seems to go away after 15 to 20 minutes of driving
    • November 8th 2018 Observation
      • Car was parked for 4-5 hours in about 55F ambient garage
      • Entered car and turned on air to warm car to 70F
      • Didn't notice noise at first because I don't think it had started
      • Within 10 minutes the hissing noise reached a noticeable volume even with air on and music playing.
      • When air and music is turned off, the noise persists at the same volume. This was tried multiple times
      • I set the air speed to 10 manually and selected each zone individually for 10 seconds or so to see if that impacted the presence of the hissing noise. It didn't seem to have any effect.
      • I sat in the car for about 30 minutes with air on most of the time warming the car to 70F. The noise continued at a consistent volume the entire time.
      • After about 30 minutes I plugged the car into the 240V outlet to charge the car at 32A, which began as soon as I plugged in.
      • About 10 minutes or so after the car started charging the noise faded away and could not be heard from the driver's seat. This was true when music was on and off and when the air was on and off.

It's been driving me nuts with temps in the 20-50s. I think they're something running due to the outside temperature that is causing the speaker to whine with interference. I'm tempted to unplug the stupid thing, but man.. just in inline noise floor filter or something would be nice.

I received a message saying that they identified bubbles in the air coolant lines and they flushed the lines. I will pick up the car tomorrow. Really hoping that is the problem, I'll report back after a few days of driving.

I have this same issue. If any of you have ever had an older car that when you hit the turn signal, you can sometimes hear the clicking over the radio / speakers. I am thinking this is similar - something mechanical that is being relayed through that emergency speaker.

Just my theory.

You guys with the issue, by chance do you have GSM phones (e.g. T-Mobile, ATT)?

This used to be a problem years ago and I got rid of my GSM service years ago because of it, I couldn’t stand it. Well protected speakers it shouldn’t happen with. But I think it can still occur if a speaker is not shielded.

If you have your phone in the cubby it would be very close to that speaker.

Just a thought.

You guys with the issue, by chance do you have GSM phones (e.g. T-Mobile, ATT)?

This used to be a problem years ago and I got rid of my GSM service years ago because of it, I couldn’t stand it. Well protected speakers it shouldn’t happen with. But I think it can still occur if a speaker is not shielded.

If you have your phone in the cubby it would be very close to that speaker.

Just a thought.

I do have AT&T and I do hear the noise...

I still have it, and it's not my phone. Seems to be weather related to some degree. But even 30 minutes into a trip if I'm stopped at a light and the radio is off, it's quite loud and annoying. No clue how I'd report it because it's so random, guaranteed it wouldn't make the noise with a tech present. I wish there was some type of noise filter I could hook up before the wire goes to the speaker find that would just let the speaker work for it's intended purpose but filter out that crap.