Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nag reduced with 2017.46

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla_self-driving_car_2729665.jpg

Just drove 25 minutes on autopilot nag-free on the interstate! It appears that both auto-changing lanes and speed now reset the nag timer!

I’m pretty sure it didn’t do that before correct? Also easy entry works well and my homelink now works better....garage door now auto closes again leaving my driveway.

No hands touching the wheel at all? Are you sure you were inadvertently touching it realized you were present? This is the first report and I find it very skeptical that you went 25mins with 0 nags and no hands on the wheel...

I drive a lot....(29k miles in less than 10 months) and it was noticeable....that’s why I got my phone out to time it. I haven’t noticed it until I got my update downloaded last night. I am pretty sure I would have noticed it before as much freeway driving as I do. It still nags every minute and 15 seconds if you don’t change lanes or speed though.
Here is a link to the video. The problem is Nick is using AP1. Did not remember that part. He had a prior video where he was getting Nagged about every 3 minutes on a straight road. Someone ask what would happen if he auto changed lanes or changed the TACC Speed so he did this test. I think it was about 7 minutes.

Oct. 7, 2017
AP1 17.26.17

It makes sense to me if you are changing these things that AP would know you are there and active.

I guess I'm not getting the relevance, here. If I actively am constantly changing speed and lanes, how exactly is that easier than -- I don't know -- driving?:rolleyes:

Before, you had to tug on the wheel every 1 min 15 seconds, and make sure you did it just hard enough to clear the nag without disengaging. If it’s true that all you have to do now is change the cruise speed, that’s huge, as there’s much less care you have to use with that.

Any chance this applies to follow distance? If so, that’d be even easier and with less of a chance of any change in the car’s behavior.

Before, you had to tug on the wheel every 1 min 15 seconds, and make sure you did it just hard enough to clear the nag without disengaging. If it’s true that all you have to do now is change the cruise speed, that’s huge, as there’s much less care you have to use with that.

Any chance this applies to follow distance? If so, that’d be even easier and with less of a chance of any change in the car’s behavior.
Hold the wheel lightly with ONE hand just above the flat portion at the bottom, along the side, just letting the weight of your hand bear down. Don't steer, but don't keep the AP from steering. You will never, ever get a nag. If you need to do something with your hands, then do it and put one back when you can. Switch hands if you need to. Prop your elbow on the console.

2017.44.02fdc86
Tonight 407/Yonge to 407/McCowan (12km non-stop) on AP2 at 118 km/hr, raining.
There was NO nag and I did NOT have to touch the steering wheel.
Trick was to change lane every minute or so.
Tomorrow I will try changing the speed 1km up/down every minute or so.

I think the nag is better than trying to consciously remember to change some setting every minute or so, and less physical work.

Hold the wheel lightly with ONE hand just above the flat portion at the bottom, along the side, just letting the weight of your hand bear down. Don't steer, but don't keep the AP from steering. You will never, ever get a nag. If you need to do something with your hands, then do it and put one back when you can. Switch hands if you need to. Prop your elbow on the console.
This is what I do as well. Works really well.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Regardless....it’s an improvement nonetheless. I was busy passing cars today and don’t sit in the left lane...just noticed that it didn’t nag me for awhile - so I checked to see if it was just the lane changing and found out it was also a change in speed that prevented the nag. It used to nag every 1:15 regardless of lane/speed change.

Reactions: Prefect
This was the same with 2017.42. Any input like changing lanes or speed tells autopilot that the driver is active. It also works if you keep downward pressure on the steering wheel. There's a video of a guy with a water bottle strapped to the steering wheel and the nag messages were suppressed, although I wouldn't recommend that.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
This doesn't work for me. If I hold the wheel at the bottom it will nag me.

That’s been inconsistent for me. With my typical settings, I still usually get the bags. What I have been doing instead, is using an alternative profile I switch to with the steering wheel lowered and fully extended so I can rest my arms on the armrest while holding the sides of it. That typically works pretty well, though every once in a while it’s nice to let go and fully rest for a few minutes.

It's funny that people are trying to defeat a system that is there to keep us alive
Agreed
Tesla autopilot cant be trusted 100% . Granted it has gotten MUCH better since ap2 first came out. I have to say its been performing wonderfully after the last few updates.

I had a 1,000 mile road trip this weekend. Autopilot 99% of the way. I had only ONE hiccup where the car went a bit out of control. I thought it was going to go into a different lane. It was just a split second before I took control. Not sure if the car was just adjusting and I didn't want to wait around to find out.

Thankfully I keep a hand on the wheel at all times

I still find autopilot to be a safer driving experience compared to manual driving. Car never takes eyes off road it watches cars in front of cars. It can brake in an emergency before you can.

Reactions: tkdkenny