Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nauseous Feeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all seriousness I get a nauseous feeling when driving in my S, my wife said it was in my head. I’ve tried low regen, thought it was smell so drive around with windows down, still get the feeling. It was so bad I started to think it was the battery emitting too much emf. So I made my wife drive me in passenger seat. In our less than 15 minutes drive she felt nauseous, she had been a passenger for at least 1,100 miles with no nausea. Is it simply getting used to the drive, like I’m experiencing motion sickness, because I was fine in passenger seat.

Coils or air springs? Some have reported that one or the other make them nauseated after a while... EMF is unlikely to be a cause - I'll justify that statement if you need me to :)

Silly suggestion: are you being distracted by the displays more than in other cars? Not driving may mean you're looking at the instruments less, and the backlights are pulse-width modulated... A friend of mine finds them very disconcerting (he also can't work under fluorescents or cheap, flickery LED lighting without feeling sick...)

Reactions: boaterva
After having spent three days with my sis as she learned about her new Model 3, I think I know the cause :).

I was getting REALLY carsick in the passenger seat on Day 1. She just didn't 'get' the regen. She'd take her foot off the accelerator to slow down & then, instead of letting regen do the job, she'd also touch the brake. Lurch. Lurch.

I was biting my tongue, figuring she'd figure it out when she finally said 'I think I'm getting a little nauseous ...'. I immediately said OH THANK GOD YOU'RE DRIVING LIKE DAD USED TO DRIVE ... and she said 'I know!'.

She was finally willing to try cruise control, saw how smooth it would be, our nausea cleared up, she improved over the next two days ..

So for the OP - do you get nauseous when using cruise? If you haven't tried that for extended distances, try that and see if things improve. And if yes, then it's how you're using the accelerator pedal. On a road without traffic behind you, try speeding up and slowing down without using the brake, only feathering the accelerator. Work at smooth transitions. We all had to go thru it, you'll get there, too. :)

Things to check (list from all the ICE cars I have heard this about)
1) is the seat loose, even a very small motion can cause nausea
2) install a static strap to ground the car chassis, be sure it grounds the frame
3) check the windshield very closely, the lamination can distort causing your eyes to see different things
4) try different seating positions, this is related to windshield so go way high, close, low, back
5) If you have air suspension, low should be best, but lock it on high and test

Lastly, go on a trip and let the car drive. You want very light traffic so you as driver have the visual and auditory patterns of a passenger.

Reactions: TesslAshanti
So I have air suspension, I will try low, have left it on standard. I live in DC area was worried about bottoming out with potholes. I think by the time I get to use cruise I’m already sick. Dry mouth, nausea lower back pain. I’m already on low regen, I will try not paying attention to cluster that maybe it and change seat position. Thank you all for your suggestions, I will report back.

Did you try Chill mode? It lessens the lurching feeling. It took me a while before the feathering of the accelerator became second nature. For a couple months you really have to pay attention to what your right foot is doing. You learn to get the most out of regen and a bonus: your passengers will thank you. :)

Did you try Chill mode? It lessens the lurching feeling. It took me a while before the feathering of the accelerator became second nature. For a couple months you really have to pay attention to what your right foot is doing. You learn to get the most out of regen and a bonus: your passengers will thank you. :)
Was going to say this. For those that don’t like/can’t handle a car that does instantaneous response like Teslas do, chill is great. Bjorn’s recent video demo of this was excellent.

I had a mild nausea from the “unnatural smoothness,” not unlike walking in VR (like an Oculus) or early FPS games. There’s no rumble or vibration, no gear shifting. With a Tesla, you think it and it happens. Nausea can be triggered when your body expects one input but feels another. It didn’t correlate to acceleration or insane launches, and it eventually went away after about a week or two. It was almost like the body was readjusting to a new normal of car behavior.

I had a mild nausea from the “unnatural smoothness,” not unlike walking in VR (like an Oculus) or early FPS games. There’s no rumble or vibration, no gear shifting. With a Tesla, you think it and it happens. Nausea can be triggered when your body expects one input but feels another. It didn’t correlate to acceleration or insane launches, and it eventually went away after about a week or two. It was almost like the body was readjusting to a new normal of car behavior.
One thing I needed to train myself to do after years in a BMW was look at the speedometer more. I passed someone using what I thought was ‘just a little power’ at 55 and I looked down and I was going 80. Too silent and smooth! Love it, though! Like a fighter pilot, fly the plane, don’t let it fly you. :D

One thing I needed to train myself to do after years in a BMW was look at the speedometer more. I passed someone using what I thought was ‘just a little power’ at 55 and I looked down and I was going 80. Too silent and smooth! Love it, though! Like a fighter pilot, fly the plane, don’t let it fly you. :D

How can you be doing 100 MPH and not know it? That's what a friend said to me. In a Tesla it is a possibility :)

How can you be doing 100 MPH and not know it? That's what a friend said to me. In a Tesla it is a possibility :)
My first big road trip, I gunned it to get away from a car that kept matching my speed to stay in my blind spot. When I looked down I was going 101 MPH. I had no idea I was anywhere near that.
More on topic: I also had some nausea at first, especially soon after entering. I think it was the "new car smell". It was pretty strong. I remember reading some posts a couple of years ago on here about other people having similar experiences with the "outgassing" of the new materials.

I had this too, at first. One other thing to consider - when the car's new, you spend a lot of time staring down at the screen to check out all the nifty features. I find that contributes a lot! Try just watching the road without looking at the screen for a while.

In any case, whatever the cause it goes away over time.

Reactions: 1speed

Yes! It's the smoothness. I get motion sickness with VR and games like GTO way back. Like flying, I'm fine even with insane turbulence, but when it's time to land and the plane does those small imperceptible leveling corrections...that's when it kicks in. I took a glider ride once that was a disaster. Thanks for confirming this.

Reactions: MarkS22
In all seriousness I get a nauseous feeling when driving in my S, my wife said it was in my head. I’ve tried low regen, thought it was smell so drive around with windows down, still get the feeling. It was so bad I started to think it was the battery emitting too much emf. So I made my wife drive me in passenger seat. In our less than 15 minutes drive she felt nauseous, she had been a passenger for at least 1,100 miles with no nausea. Is it simply getting used to the drive, like I’m experiencing motion sickness, because I was fine in passenger seat.
I know exactly what this is. It’s the vibration of the rear hatch creating a pressure wave in the car. Adjust the rear stoppers and it will get better.

OP: did you have the rear-view camera up on the screen? My wife says seeing that out of the corner of her eye makes her feel nauseous. On the other hand, it doesn't bother me (but I don't usually leave it displayed). Back when v8 added the stupid "I'll put all windows on the bottom except camera and map" she could not get the camera to go away. She didn't like that drive much.

I know exactly what this is. It’s the vibration of the rear hatch creating a pressure wave in the car. Adjust the rear stoppers and it will get better.

What he just said!

Had the same issue for a week and almost gave up and then learned abt the rear hatch and very alihjt pressure buffeting.
Could affect one or a few areas of the car depending which area is causing it. Went to an SC and they reset all the stoppers to tighten down the hatch a bit. Problem gone instantly!