Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always purchase an electric metre of of eBay and have it installed inline with the 14-50. What I do is get smartmetre reports (they are free). I don't know if you have this option in Nebraska, but if you do, it may provide all the information you want. The graph looks stepped during charging time because there is a Tesla and a Leaf charging. (The Tesla starts charging at 02:30 and ends around 04:30. It's recovering 50-60 miles on a typical day.)
Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 17.13.49.png

Last edited:
Another very simply answer to the question of why someone would want to get the chargepoint: I don't want to have to use the mobile connector that comes with the car at home because I want to keep it with the car and not be bothered to take it out and put it away every time at home. That means either buying a second one, getting the HPWC or something like the chargepoint, only one of those options has a rebate.

Reactions: Lpleiss
Bandwagon,
Thank you for the info about charging costs her in NE (CB IA). I have a Model S with unlimited, so I have wondered what it would cost for my Model 3 when I get it. Can you please explain Tier 1 and Tier 2 and how it works? Did you give Tesla your credit card number to charge it to? Don't you get X miles free first? Thank you in advance...

Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2. Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.

Credit card is attached to Tesla account when registered. I've heard some suggest there were free miles, but I've never seen any evidence of that.

Reactions: bandwagon
So, my wife sent me a text... said while she was at lunch, the power steering and brakes failed while she was driving, a message on the display saying as much. I believe I've heard this mentioned on a facebook page, but can't seem to find a thread here whereby Model 3 owner(s) experienced it (seen something similiar with Model S/X). She said she was able to strong arm it back into her work... later went out and started it, problem no longer persisted. So, my issue free record came to an end. I guess I'll be reporting this when the car is back home. It's a hot day out there, hopefully not a contributor (inside temperature showing over 120... i was thinking someone said the car would periodically run the AC to keep interior at a reasonable temperature for electronics considerations, but maybe I heard wrong.. or maybe 120 is the reasonable temperature).

So, my wife sent me a text... said while she was at lunch, the power steering and brakes failed while she was driving, a message on the display saying as much. I believe I've heard this mentioned on a facebook page, but can't seem to find a thread here whereby Model 3 owner(s) experienced it (seen something similiar with Model S/X). She said she was able to strong arm it back into her work... later went out and started it, problem no longer persisted. So, my issue free record came to an end. I guess I'll be reporting this when the car is back home. It's a hot day out there, hopefully not a contributor (inside temperature showing over 120... i was thinking someone said the car would periodically run the AC to keep interior at a reasonable temperature for electronics considerations, but maybe I heard wrong.. or maybe 120 is the reasonable temperature).
Record the time and date of the malfunction so if/when you take it into a service center they can look at the logs.

I am a Model S driver, never driven a Model 3. In the Model S "cabin overheat protection" is an option in the Controls/Settings. If you turn it on, the a/c will kick in at 105F and maintain that temperature. As of now, I don't believe there is an option to change the temp to something other than 105F (but of course you can just turn on the a/c and maintain a temperature between 59F and 81F if you wish). If you don't have it on, it won't turn on though. I've been in Vegas for the past week and when parked outside during the day, cabin temps are regularly in the 120s and 130s. This isn't even the hottest time of year. I believe 150s are possible.

I think there may be something that automatically cools the batteries when they get too hot (going from memory, I think this temp is around 150F or so but I'm not sure about that). Of course this usually happens while driving, but in extreme cases, it could be possible while parked and I would imagine it would kick in then as well. The a/c and battery cooling are part of the same system but their temps are maintained separately so I don't think cooling the battery while parked would automatically run the a/c but I could be wrong!

I had the AWD piece unlock in whatever the second wave was. I've been sitting on my invite since March wrestling with waiting for AWD or getting the first configuration. After a lot of back and forth I just opted for the first config with EAP.
Hoping I won't regret RWD come winter.

How's the order progressing? I'm assuming with it being quarter end they're moving faster than normal. I'll be surprised if AWD gets the rebate since the first Dual motor just rolled off the line yesterday and they'll just do performance first. I don't think you'll have regrets.

I was a current owner at the time of putting in my order at a Tesla Store on the first day. I have postponed, since I want AWD. As of today, it is not letting me order. It seems it might be soon, with next quarter only a couple weeks away.

Knock on (real) wood... car hasn't shown any issues since my wife lost power brakes/steering Friday. Another owner said he experienced same... then nothing since (several months), although when in for other service, they replaced a sensor purportedly responsible for this behavior.

In other news, I followed in bandwagon's tracks... took dog for a walk at Chalco, taking advantage of the free ChargePoint there. The charger on the west side of the post didn't seem to be charging... east side worked. Oh, and east parking spot is labelled handicap!?

... and added personal Supercharger. :)

supercharger0.jpg

tesla5a.jpg

Attachments

• supercharge1.jpg
    supercharge1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
How's the order progressing? I'm assuming with it being quarter end they're moving faster than normal. I'll be surprised if AWD gets the rebate since the first Dual motor just rolled off the line yesterday and they'll just do performance first. I don't think you'll have regrets.

No news, and they got rid of the loophole to be able to see if you had a vin assigned early, so I’m in the dark until there is contact I think. From looking at the invite spreadsheet that’s out there, I think they actually slowed down deliveries to cross the 200k threshold in July.

Just obsessing over financials and hoping I can get in on the OPPD incentive in time for now. I already have my ChargePoint but don’t have it installed yet. Need to get moving on that.