TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

need to charge every night?

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by mchen123, Feb 10, 2017.

1. mchen123

mchen123 Member

i am in the ny long island area. temp could be freezing sometimes. is it better to.keep the plug in and charge the car at.night even though its got.plenty of.miles left?

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Yes. And welcome to the Forum.

There are tons of discussions on here about charging, cold weather effects, best practices -- doing a search and digging in is the best way to learn!

• Like x 1
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It would also help if you first RTFM and then ask about what you may not understand. The owners manual is very clear about keeping the car plugged in when you can, rather than waiting until the charge gets low.

• Like x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

as noted in many, many threads, a plugged in tesla is a happy tesla

5. guipingfang

guipingfang Member

Yes, I think so

6. HQHQ

HQHQ Member

I have a 2016 MX90D, AP1, about 3000 miles. When I first got it, every time after an overnight charge I got 232-234 miles. Now it is about 229 miles. Is there anything of issues here? Thanks in advance

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1. Check with Ideal Miles, not Rated Miles, as Tesla messes with the Rated algorithm a lot. Ideal appears to be consistent.
    2. What are you charging to? 90% (full daily charge) seems to keep the numbers up better than lower settings.
    3. The battery balancing circuits start at 93%, so occasionally charge to that level. Once activated, the battery will continue to balance regardless of the charge setting.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You will lose more miles of range in the first year than in subsequent years.

9. guipingfang

guipingfang Member

You'd better to make sure the energy enough ,then you can enjoy everyday most.Best wishes for you.

10. guipingfang

guipingfang Member

I do agree with you ,but you can prepare a Car charger in advance.

11. Yinn

Yinn Member

Keep it plugged in. Tesla recommends it, it doesn't hurt the car. Also if it's your first EV, congrats. You'll realize quickly that it's better to have as many miles as possible when starting out. You might only need 50mi/day, but the day you end up needing 100mi, you'll be much happier you charged to full last night instead of in the parking lot somewhere waiting for your charge.

I thought it was always balancing? Are you saying it only balances when you charge above 93%?

12. jerry33

According to the investigation done by member WK057, the balancing circuits engage when charging reaches 93%. Once activated they continue to balance until the balancing cycle is completed regardless of subsequent charging level. (Balancing may take several days to complete.)

13. jasonb

jasonb Member

14. rainforest

rainforest Member

Does charging every night hurt the battery? What does everybody charge to each night? 80 or 90%?

15. jerry33

A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. Tesla's recommendation is to plug in when possible. 90% is a good level, and appears to be the one that shows the least amount of unbalance. But really, you don't need to overthink this. Just plug it in every night--just like your iPhone.

16. rainforest

rainforest Member

I use a Samsung. Don't know what you're talking about!

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  17. pkulak

pkulak Member

My charger is behind my house off the alley. It's easier to park in the front, so I'll probably be doing that and charging twice a week or so. Maybe more in the winter when I want preconditioning. I'm not too concerned about it.