Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative Camber in the Rear and Expensive Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20140721_163034[1].jpg

It took way longer than anticipated and was not as easy as I thought it would be but... links are done! They should start shipping on Monday the 28th. Final cost for links is $225 each $450 for the pair.

OpenEV Store - Rear Upper Suspension Link for Tesla Model S

Cool. The picture shows the link with bushings installed, but the webpage makes me think they are not included? If they are not included, what is needed to press the old ones out (besides a press)? Do you need some tool that only presses the outer shell?

Cool. The picture shows the link with bushings installed, but the webpage makes me think they are not included? If they are not included, what is needed to press the old ones out (besides a press)? Do you need some tool that only presses the outer shell?

Links are available both with and without isolation dampers.

Yes, a tool is required to press the isolation dampers out and into the new arms. There is an option to purchase the tool with the arms.

Chris,

Which bushings are you offering? Original, P+/current production, other?

Does the change in geometry from the Tesla links alter the buckling moment?

How much longer did you make them and does this added length affect the toe setting capability?

Last edited:
Links are available both with and without isolation dampers.

Yes, a tool is required to press the isolation dampers out and into the new arms. There is an option to purchase the tool with the arms.

Ok, had to put items in the cart to get pricing.

Pair of bare arms: $450
Pair of arms w/ bushings: $975
Pair of bare arms w/ tool: $725

Do you have a picture of the tool? Curious what it is.

Lolachampcar,

Links are the same geometry as your black prototype arms a 0.210" streach.

For now links are only avaliable with the P+ bushings. If there is enough demand from folks with the older part (and they do not want to upgrade to the new production standard), I can run a set and make tooling for the older bushing. However that option would only be avaliable as the bare arms. Tesla no longer stocks the old link.

That explains why the links are so much with the bushings.

Still like to see a pic of the tool.

Yep, exactly correct, I have to buy new P+ links from Tesla to get the bushings. The Tesla part is right arround $220 each link.

I will post a pictures of the tool in a day or two when I pick them up from the machinest. Basicly it is a die set to use in a press.

Chris,

Will you be offering different length UL's (say... 250's, 300's) for owners that want to reduce L to R spread that is common on many Ses?

Btw, I will be glad to give $100 plus shipping for a pair of used complete (with existing bushings) P+ UL's to anyone out there who opts for Chris's complete pair with/bushings for $975. (I only need one pair)

Here are some photos of the first shot at tooling. The aluminum tooling I had made is already showing wear after a few links. The plan is to get the tooling to a few key performance/suspension shops around the US so they can do many cars. The tooling has to last so it will now be made of Steel, it will be ready to ship next week.

The tool is double sided, the skinny side pushes to damper out of the Tesla OEM part and the wider side provides support to push damper into the new link.

IMG_20140730_130849[1].jpg

IMG_20140730_130854[1].jpg

I apologize if this is addressed already but: Are MS's coming out of the factory with negative rear camber? Is that the intended design? Can I ask my SC to zero out the alignment when I take delivery in October? I'm much more interested in tire longevity than cornering performance on my drive to work.

Forgive me, I'm new to this concept.

I apologize if this is addressed already but: Are MS's coming out of the factory with negative rear camber? Is that the intended design? Can I ask my SC to zero out the alignment when I take delivery in October? I'm much more interested in tire longevity than cornering performance on my drive to work.

Forgive me, I'm new to this concept.
Negative camber by design. Doubt you'll find a SC who would be willing to align outside of factory specs.