Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative Camber in the Rear and Expensive Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the service porter delivered my car this week after the 25,000 mile service he handed me the alignment report. My second set of tires is lasting longer--21" continentals--than the first set. I have no idea how to read the alignment report. Is there an explanation somewhere on this site? Or could I scan it and email it to one of you who is knowledgeable.
Thank you.

As long as you're not running into curbs and hitting huge pot holes, then the alignment should stay where it was set.

How many people with 19 inch tires are having wear issues vs. people with 21's ?

And how many are having inner edge wear issues that ride in low mode frequently?

Guys, Thanks for providing so much information!

I am planning to lower the car by using the lowing links for the air suspension, and since there isn't any adjustable camber (and toe?) arms available on the market, is there any other option for me to correct the camber?

Guys, Thanks for providing so much information!

I am planning to lower the car by using the lowing links for the air suspension, and since there isn't any adjustable camber (and toe?) arms available on the market, is there any other option for me to correct the camber?

Nope. Until the longer control arms are available, lowering the car will produce extreme negative camber on the rear wheels. You can expect very short tire life and (possibly) handling issues.

If it sounds like I'm advising against lowering until you have longer control arms, it's because I am. :)

If you are trying minimize your negative camber while utilizing existing unmodified TL's, have you considered maxing (or very close) out the toe eccentric and then use your new adjustable UL's to set your toe? (I do realize that this is an unconventional reverse approach but would maximize your effort with OEM TL's)

That is my plan. Will see results tomorrow.

If you are trying minimize your negative camber while utilizing existing unmodified TL's, have you considered maxing (or very close) out the toe eccentric and then use your new adjustable UL's to set your toe? (I do realize that this is an unconventional reverse approach but would maximize your effort with OEM TL's)

Well I had the alignment done. I am not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to alignment but ....The links adjusted better than I anticipated. We were able to get -0.80 camber with -0.25 Toe. Ask me what this means and I have no idea.
My car ride seems the same as before the adjustments and tracks perfectly. I did not want to go beyond the -0.80 camber but I think I may have been able to. Adjustable seems to be the way to go so both sides can be matched.

I spoke with Joe of BBC machine and he is going to make an aluminium link for me to try. He also wants to fabricate a adjustable toe link as well. He is going to make the toe link with the specifications of the PLUS suspension with the larger bushings.

My question, is anyone interested in these? I will NOT be selling them. BBC machine will sell them. I am just the test dummy! Please post interest or contact me via PM. I will relay this information to BBC and if there is interest they will fabricate both pcs. I am sure you would be able to buy just the upper links or a set of upper and toe links as you wish.

I will keep everyone informed as things develop.

Pictures are linked page 39 post 384. The weight difference is one pound each side, not a big deal. All factors will be considered and in the end only one version will be made. I will know more once BBC makes the aluminium set, we will then compare cost.

Will they offer either steel or aluminum? The links are so short that doing them in steel is fine as far as I'm concerned. Weight difference ought to be insignificant Any chance of some pictures of the prototypes?

Thanks, hadn't seen the picture. The steel version looks good. 1 lb is nothing I'd worry about. Only half of it is unsprung. The one thing I would worry about is the jam nuts loosening. But that's why they have a guinea pig for them. :)

When I installed the links I used locktite on the jam nuts, took two of us to loosen them. Once set, we locktite them again and I am going to keep watch checking every so often.

Thanks, hadn't seen the picture. The steel version looks good. 1 lb is nothing I'd worry about. Only half of it is unsprung. The one thing I would worry about is the jam nuts loosening. But that's why they have a guinea pig for them. :)