Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter no longer included with vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in my situation,
to use a higher amp delivery of the HPWC
I would need upgrade wires already in wall
for 50A NEMA 14-50 plug installed in 2002.

to increase mph charge I bought a CMC (40A)
as a semi permanent home charger, and location
allowed for a convenient run of CMC up and over,
dropping down at car charge port, F1 style allowing
OEM UMC to stay in car.

if CMC becomes unreliable as insinuated above,
a simple replacement with UMC till sorted works!

IMG_1097.jpeg

Didn't they JUST start selling a mobile connector with a hard wired 14-50 plug on it? If 14-50 was really a safety or reliability concern it doesn't make sense that they would have done that.
It has nothing to do with safety or reliability. It’s to get $500 more revenue per car from mostly clueless mass market buyers, and tie people to Tesla for their next EV.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am moving to a new house and just had a 14-50 installed instead of a wall connector. I used to have a WC in my current house but it failed after about 18 months. I had a ranger out to do the parking brake recall and had him look at it. He said it was probably the main board, couldn’t be repaired, and it was out of warranty because I didn’t buy it with the car. $500 down the drain! I had to have an electrician out to install a 14-50 outlet so I could use my UMC, adding insult to injury. The

At the new house, I am considering the option of getting a WC, but instead of hardwiring, installing a 12” pig tail and plugging into the 14-50. By setting the pins in the WC, I would limit the current draw to 30 or 40 amps. If the WC ever failed, I could still use the outlet and the UMC. Any downside for this?

• Informative
Reactions: crashvt
I am moving to a new house and just had a 14-50 installed instead of a wall connector. I used to have a WC in my current house but it failed after about 18 months. I had a ranger out to do the parking brake recall and had him look at it. He said it was probably the main board, couldn’t be repaired, and it was out of warranty because I didn’t buy it with the car. $500 down the drain! I had to have an electrician out to install a 14-50 outlet so I could use my UMC, adding insult to injury. The

At the new house, I am considering the option of getting a WC, but instead of hardwiring, installing a 12” pig tail and plugging into the 14-50. By setting the pins in the WC, I would limit the current draw to 30 or 40 amps. If the WC ever failed, I could still use the outlet and the UMC. Any downside for this?
Technically speaking, it's not to code. NEC requires equipment be installed per manufacturer's instructions, and Tesla says the wall connector must be hardwired, so adding a cord is technically a code violation. But a lot of people ignore that.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
Nearly all "proper EVSEs" available on the market are plug-in devices.
No portable EVSE with NEMA 14-50 that I am aware of.

Regular plugging/unplugging and long periods of 40a draw on a 14-50 outlet have melted the plugs. They can get loose/dirty over time and the resistance causes heat. The new UMC at 32a would be less problematic, and leaving it plugged in permanently (like many people do) is better.

Sure it works, but there is a much better solution available.

Translation: We'd like to make an extra 500 bucks on each sale so we're going to push people to the HPWC.

How silly.

I'm not doubting the veracity of this, but what's the source?

Translation: we’re tired of giving people extra adapters that sit in a bag and never get used just because people feel like they need to get ALL the stuff that everyone else has ever got with their Tesla.

Just ordered my first Tesla (Model 3). Excited about the car and its features To prepare for home charging, I hired an electrician to install NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. My plan was to use the Mobile connector with the 14-50 adapter. However, disappointed that they no longer include the adapter as standard with new vehicles and to add insult to the injury this $35 adapter is sold out. My Model 3 delivery is in 10 days. Slow 110v charging isn't going to cut it for daily use. What to do? Feeling forced to spend another $550 or so that I didn't plan to.

Just ordered my first Tesla (Model 3). Excited about the car and its features To prepare for home charging, I hired an electrician to install NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. My plan was to use the Mobile connector with the 14-50 adapter. However, disappointed that they no longer include the adapter as standard with new vehicles and to add insult to the injury this $35 adapter is sold out. My Model 3 delivery is in 10 days. Slow 110v charging isn't going to cut it for daily use. What to do? Feeling forced to spend another $550 or so that I didn't plan to.

Consider a corded JuiceBox 40 amp unit. The wifi control makes it kinda cool. We have had one for 4 years. Bullet proof.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100397573.html

On sale at Costco.

14-50 was always a terrible solution. People should use a proper EVSE for their regular charging. Not a plug-in device.

Your statement makes no sense at any level.
No portable EVSE with NEMA 14-50 that I am aware of.

Regular plugging/unplugging and long periods of 40a draw on a 14-50 outlet have melted the plugs. They can get loose/dirty over time and the resistance causes heat. The new UMC at 32a would be less problematic, and leaving it plugged in permanently (like many people do) is better.

Sure it works, but there is a much better solution available.

A 14-50 or 6-50, plug on an EVSE is not designed for plugging and unplugging daily and even occasional use will not melt the plugs. Having a pug allows easy service and occasional portable use. Units with 14-50s are not used as you describe and there are many benefits of units not being hard wired. Tesla should supply nothing other than a 5-15 with the EVSE which makes complete sense. The majority of garages in the US have existing 10-30 or 14-30 outlets often abandoned with gas dryers in front of them. The issue of wear on outlets is the 5-15 which is the weakest point for many reasons.

Buy the 6-50 adapter instead. It will eliminate them need for the unused neutral wire that the 14-50 requires.

If your 14-50 is already installed you may be able to buy a 14-50 adapter from a Tesla owner that is not using theirs.

Good Luck with your search,

GSP

• Helpful
Reactions: pete_shaw
Translation: we’re tired of giving people extra adapters that sit in a bag and never get used just because people feel like they need to get ALL the stuff that everyone else has ever got with their Tesla.

Ironically, the only adapter I have that “sits in a bag and never gets used” is the 5-15, the only one they still include. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

The 14-50 is my daily charging solution, along with the majority of Tesla owners, and the J1772 is used at least a few times a month.

• Love
Reactions: Scott7
The majority of garages in the US have existing 10-30 or 14-30 outlets often abandoned with gas dryers in front of them.
Umm, no. Maybe in CA that's true, but those of us who live where the temp drops below freezing can't have laundry in the garage, unless you like frozen pipes.
Buy the 6-50 adapter instead. It will eliminate them need for the unused neutral wire that the 14-50 requires.
This * 1000. The 14-50 is a stupid vestige from the old days when the only viable charging options on a road trip was an RV park's 14-50. For home charging, a 6-50 is fine and cheaper to install (no neutral wire). Even if you already have a 14-50, if the wire run is >25 feet or so, it's likely cheaper to install a 6-50 and buy the adapter (yes, copper is that expensive!).

EDIT - the 6-50 is in stock. Easy decision.

The fact that the 14-50 is sold out online is so astronomically stupid.

How do you stop including it with the car and not plan to have tons of stock so people can then purchase it?

Also, clearly they had their suppliers ramped on production to the point where they could produce one adapter per car shipped. Why did they just not divert that inventory/production capacity over to their online store?

The stupidity abounds... I would love to know what actually went down behind the scenes here.

Reactions: dhanson865

If your 14-50 is already installed you may be able to buy a 14-50 adapter from a Tesla owner that is not using theirs.

Good Luck with your search,

GSP

I will wait a couple of days and if Tesla doesn't restock it by then, I'll have to go the route you suggested. Thanks.