Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter no longer included with vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone else thought of this and posted somewhere in the last 4 pages, I will be honest I didn't look.

What if Tesla is trying to mitigate service/warranty false calls due to the crap GFCI requirement. By pushing you into a wall connector they not only make another buck like the evil Capitalist company they are but they dramatically reduce the number of calls they get and UMCs they have to test for what turns out to be GFCI crap, wasting time and effort they don't have to spare.

IMO a second charging solution is a good idea and a wall connector is only $200 more than a second UMC, you don't have to buy an outlet which is a potential failure point and you open up the possibility of faster charging. Part of me wonders when some sort of "grid smart" charging might be rolled out and wonder if the wall connector with it's load sharing capabilty might already have the communication capability to do such a thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: F14Scott and Blup85
120V will get you by. That's what I did for the first couple weeks. What's the big deal.

You should always have a UMC. What's your point?

So your argument is, folks should not install Wall Connectors because they can fail and take 2 weeks to replace.
That's a perfectly sound argument.

Yes, for the vast majority of users Wall Connectors are a much safer solution and apparently Tesla agrees with me, not you.
No, my argument is that you don't need a wall connector and they provide no inherent advantage over using the UMC for nearly everyones uses, they only advantage you have is 48 vs32 amp charging.

Not everybody can easily add _two_ 240V circuits.

Since I'd be buying a car with only 32A AC charging, my plan was:
- have a 40A socket installed
- buy an extra UMC
- leave that UMC with the 14-50 adapter plugged in permanently
- keep the other UMC in the car.

That way, it'd only be $300 extra, and, whichever EVSE failed, I be able to use the other.

I can appreciate that many people would not use the 14-50 adapter so it saves Tesla money, and allows them effectively to raise the price by not passing on the savings, and push people towards making their primary charging the more expensive wall connector and corded mobile connector.

Since the socket should be GFCI you need to add ~$100.00 for the GFCI breaker and an extra UMC will set you back $300.00
Why not spend another $100 and go for a wall connector?

Otherwise, that's not a terrible plan.

What some folks suggest is just add a "Tap" outlet to the Wall Connector line. But technically you should add a GFCI if you do and it may not meet code in some places. Some EV's circuits must be "dedicated" and you can technically overload the circuit with the Outlet and WC.

Some folks "Plug in" their Wall Connector to meet code but keep options open. But then you don't have a temperature monitored plug (like UMC's have) and will also require a GFCI.

I think "planning" your installation around a possible Wall Connector failure is getting a bit silly. They have a very good track record and there are plenty of ways to deal with the down time if that happens. Because you should still have your "on the road" solution (UMC) with you.

No, my argument is that you don't need a wall connector and they provide no inherent advantage over using the UMC for nearly everyones uses, they only advantage you have is 48 vs32 amp charging.

Actually for a Model 3 it's 32A vs 40A (charge rate).

Wall connector is hard wired (safer).
Wall connector Has option for every wattage built in (can be change later at zero cost).
Wall connector does not require GFCI (an outlet does).
Wall Connector can handle multiple cars.
Wall Connector is better suited for outdoors (side of house etc.).
Wall Connector can go higher wattage.
Wall Connector comes with cable organizer.
Wall Connector not so likely to get lifted.

Other than that, yeah they are the same.

Gen 1 used to run at 40A, but eventually the ULC (in Canada) asked it to be derated to 32A for a reason.
My 1st Gen UMC running at 40amps as a primary way of charging for 3 years showed major distortion and signs of overheating/melting but still functioned. Tesla replaced under warranty. You never would have known unless you unplugged the adapter (which I did to my surprise!)
Thus the HPWC.. I use my UMC on quick unplanned trips. I'm in Northern California and superchargers are still not that dense for places we go, so the chances of using the UMC are still rather high for me. I like not thinking about unplugging a UMC and taking off, it would also be another roadblock for my wife if she needed to take off on an unexpected trip. I think everyone has different needs and priorities, I kind of laughed at someones picture early on showing a UMC dangling from the garage ceiling and can't imagine they ever take that down for a trip that doesn't have access to charging. That is surely a good sign for how far supercharging has come that the UMC is really not even needed anymore!

I think "planning" your installation around a possible Wall Connector failure is getting a bit silly. They have a very good track record and there are plenty of ways to deal with the down time if that happens. Because you should still have your "on the road" solution (UMC) with you.

And carrying your UMC everywhere isn't o_O

What if Tesla is trying to mitigate service/warranty false calls due to the crap GFCI requirement. By pushing you into a wall connector they not only make another buck like the evil Capitalist company they are but they dramatically reduce the number of calls they get and UMCs they have to test for what turns out to be GFCI crap, wasting time and effort they don't have to spare.
For one thing Tesla install teams do not carry GFCI circuit breakers on their trucks. Try going the the box store to find one in a hurry. It’s a major cost to carry every brand at every rating for each install truck.

Maybe someone else thought of this and posted somewhere in the last 4 pages, I will be honest I didn't look.

IMO a second charging solution is a good idea and a wall connector is only $200 more than a second UMC, you don't have to buy an outlet which is a potential failure point and you open up the possibility of faster charging. Part of me wonders when some sort of "grid smart" charging might be rolled out and wonder if the wall connector with it's load sharing capabilty might already have the communication capability to do such a thing.

That's a valid point. I doubt "Tesla" get's called out on these things. But there are issues with some GFCI's not liking the charging circuits and false trip. Wall Connectors do avoid that issue.

Wall connector is hard wired (safer).
There's nothing unsafe about an outlet

Wall connector Has option for every wattage built in (can be change later at zero cost).
How often does someone really need to change from their 32/40 amp their UMC provides?
Wall connector does not require GFCI (an outlet does).

Only if the outlet is specifically used for EV charging and only if your local building permits require NEC 2017. There are still legal ways of not having a GFCI

Wall Connector can handle multiple cars.
No, a wall connector can only handle one car, you still need multiple wall chargers for multiple cars the only benefit you get is running them on a single branched circuit. And seeing as how the overwhelming majority of people don't have more than one tesla that NEEDS to be charged every day they can certainly share a single unit.

Wall Connector is better suited for outdoors (side of house etc.).

A umc is weather rated as well and people have been installing weatherproof outlets for a very long time. think hot tub or pool.

Wall Connector can go higher wattage.
That hardly anyone needs and only the LR cars can take advantage of.
Wall Connector comes with cable organizer.
Completely a personal preference, I made a hook to hang my cord on and there are plenty of options of cable organizers
Wall Connector not so likely to get lifted.
Seriously :rolleyes: Like seriously? Find me one example of someone getting their UMC stolen. 99% of them are plugged into a garage and the less than hand full that I've seen installed outside didn't have a problem

Other than that, yeah they are the same.

All personal preferences that make the difference. Look, if you want to blow your wad on a $500 wall connector, it's your money, go for it. But for people to keep saying they are the be all end all and required and the best thing ever is more than a stretch. This is why the majority of people outside of the Tesla/EV community laugh at owners.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that's not true. Citation needed.

You are correct. I had heard this was the case some time ago but Tesla lists separate parts for 32A and 48A.

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 3.10.08 PM.png

The neutral is NOT used at all. You can cut that pin off and it will work. (now that creates a situation where you can pull more current on a 14-30 than you should - so naturally ). The EVSE Adapters extension cord for instance just plain old omits that wire in the cable.

I should note that the UMC *does* test the neutral in one specific case. That is if you use a 10-30 adapter. That has no ground, and so Tesla treats the neutral as a ground and will test it as such. But this does not impact the answer to your question.

I literally just posted this quote I got back from Tesla Charging support just a few minutes ago:

"It was a short term offering, but we are looking into bringing it back."

You are SOL right now, but maybe some time in the future they will bring it back... :-(

Thanks, was not sure if that pin was tested but you are correct about the amps sitting at 32.

I concur, I believe the 48amp used in the S/X were actually 72amp locked, when they came out with the M3 the had a seperate 48amp max unit
There was a small period of time on the X that did that software limited charger thing, but not very long. By the time they rolled the changes over to the Model S, they already had the separate 72A and 48A parts.

There was a small period of time on the X that did that software limited charger thing, but not very long. By the time they rolled the changes over to the Model S, they already had the separate 72A and 48A parts.

I think tesla finally realized no one needs to charge at 72/80amps or could even float the 100amp service to make it happen and they were wasting resources. I fully expect to see the next HPWC to max out at 48 amps to save on wiring and control board costs, They'll leave only what's necessary to daisy chain units.

I have a Gen 1 in the frunk (pre-owned, $300) and the Gen 2 always stays plugged in at the wall. THAT'S the best of both worlds.

I'm the other way around, the Gen1 is in the wall and the Gen2 I got for a steal stays in the car. I like the vertical plug layout and smaller/easier cord when I'm dragging it around at other peoples houses.