Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter no longer included with vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the other way around, the Gen1 is in the wall and the Gen2 I got for a steal stays in the car. I like the vertical plug layout and smaller/easier cord when I'm dragging it around at other peoples houses.
I just have mine the other way for faster charging on the road, where I might need it (campground). In reality, so far the only on-the-road non-Supercharger charging I've done is using my Mom's dryer outlet. I have the Gen 1 adapter, and a heavy duty extension cord for that.

I think tesla finally realized no one needs to charge at 72/80amps or could even float the 100amp service to make it happen and they were wasting resources. I fully expect to see the next HPWC to max out at 48 amps to save on wiring and control board costs, They'll leave only what's necessary to daisy chain units.

Yeah, I have been thinking about this a lot. I am kind of surprised they don't offer the 72a charger in the S or the X anymore. I do wonder if that is a short term thing due to a shortage of MOSFET's in the industry. Perhaps they are conserving supply to be able to move the most # of vehicles.

On the Wall Connector itself: I suspect you may be on to something here. I would not be surprised if they came out with a cost optimized version of it that maxed out at 48 amps (60a circuit). It would allow for a thinner cable and would reduce the costs (smaller contactor).

The caveat here though is that we need to be looking to the future. With the pickup truck coming out, it absolutely may need/make use of more than 48 amps. If you have a full size truck style body, it absolutely may make use of 80a of charging ability... So much more rolling resistance and potential daily usage.

I REALLY want to see Tesla come out with a module that you can clamp around your electrical mains that signals to the Wall Connector how much power it is allowed to draw. It would solve the load calculation issue. Just tell the Wall Connector to never draw more than 160 amps on your 200a electrical service. It can vary the charge speed to the vehicle to accomplish this. That could enable higher peak charging speeds since folks houses nearly never come close to the limits.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I think tesla finally realized no one needs to charge at 72/80amps
*sigh* It's not "no one". Until they fill the hole in Eastern Oregon, I continue to wish I had faster chargers in my car to use the high amp wall connectors. I still take the gas car on that trip.
or could even float the 100amp service to make it happen
I'm not sure what you mean there by "float the 100 amp service". Do you just mean having 100A spare capacity to install a circuit? Yeah, it's less likely for houses, but the wall connectors on these routes in eastern Oregon are businesses, so they have enough capacity to offer 70 or 80 amps, and it sure would be nice to be able to use more of that power.

Does anyone ever plan a road trip in an EV where they may need their mobile charging cord? Of course.
In those instances, you can pack up the UMC and toss it in the trunk. The rest of the time, the UMC can be plugged into the wall via the 14-50 plug to act as a home charging station. That's what I use for my primary home charging solution.
That's the beauty of the UMC: it can be used as a permanent home charging solution AND road trip charging unit, all in 1 little package.
I fully agree with bro1999. My UMC is always plugged into a 14-50 outlet and only removed to support a road trip, maybe 4-5 times per year. The UMC cable running at 40A gets slightly warm in my garage. Since a high charge rate isn't needed overnight, I'll consider lower it to 32A for safety.

Reactions: Rocky_H and bro1999
This is priceless, since you are the guy who ranted about how the UMC is unreliable, failure-prone garbage, so everyone should use a wall connector anyway. Thank you. That was hilarious.

Glad I could make you laugh, however I don't recall calling it any of those things..? My car would constantly cut charging from 40 amps to 32... but I never said any of those things about the UMC, or suggested that "everyone should use a wall connector". Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

I've been using a Gen 2 UMC since June of last year to charge my Bolt (via JDapter Stub) and Volt with no issues. I even wrote a blog piece about the Gen 2 UMC + JDapter combo, saying it is probably the most versatile charging setup for home and on the road. bro05's blog: Best Value Charging Station For a Non-Tesla owner may be a....Tesla Charging Station? What?!

One issue that I can see possibly developing into a problem is if you unplug/re-plug the 14-50 connector too often from the outlet. I believe most NEMA 14-50 outlets aren't designed to be repeatedly plugged and unplugged like a regular 120v outlet. Unplugging a handful of times a year is probably not a big deal, but if you're unplugging every few days, that's another story.

Reactions: SSedan
I think tesla finally realized no one needs to charge at 72/80amps or could even float the 100amp service to make it happen and they were wasting resources. I fully expect to see the next HPWC to max out at 48 amps to save on wiring and control board costs, They'll leave only what's necessary to daisy chain units.

Some people, like me, DO need the faster charging with a wall charger. Come home late from dinner or evening engagement, have to leave early in morning. On Tuesdays my wife has an early morning 125 mile round trip, and in the afternoon I often leave for a 200 mile trek. The new vehicles (pickup, Roadster) will probably have 80 A charging because of their very large batteries.

Reactions: Blup85
Yeah, I have been thinking about this a lot. I am kind of surprised they don't offer the 72a charger in the S or the X anymore. I do wonder if that is a short term thing due to a shortage of MOSFET's in the industry. Perhaps they are conserving supply to be able to move the most # of vehicles.

On the Wall Connector itself: I suspect you may be on to something here. I would not be surprised if they came out with a cost optimized version of it that maxed out at 48 amps (60a circuit). It would allow for a thinner cable and would reduce the costs (smaller contactor).

The caveat here though is that we need to be looking to the future. With the pickup truck coming out, it absolutely may need/make use of more than 48 amps. If you have a full size truck style body, it absolutely may make use of 80a of charging ability... So much more rolling resistance and potential daily usage.

I REALLY want to see Tesla come out with a module that you can clamp around your electrical mains that signals to the Wall Connector how much power it is allowed to draw. It would solve the load calculation issue. Just tell the Wall Connector to never draw more than 160 amps on your 200a electrical service. It can vary the charge speed to the vehicle to accomplish this. That could enable higher peak charging speeds since folks houses nearly never come close to the limits.

Using the specs from the Rivian they are saying something like 420 miles on their 180 kwh battery which is 2.333 miles per kwh. Even at 48A that's a charge rate of 26mph, a little more than what an S currently gets at 32A. Even charging at 32A you'd get 18mph on a truck which isn't horrible as most people can charge for 8-12 hours overnight netting 143-215 miles every evening. I'd wholy expect Tesla to keep including the 32A connector even with the roadster and truck and I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with the 48A charger on board. It'll really all depend on if Tesla actually makes a real truck or an asphalt princess, I have a feeling that all of the gen1 electric trucks that come to market will fit the latter.

Glad I could make you laugh, however I don't recall calling it any of those things..? My car would constantly cut charging from 40 amps to 32... but I never said any of those things about the UMC, or suggested that "everyone should use a wall connector". Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. That wasn't you. What are the ridiculous odds that two people on a Tesla forum would both decide to use that same picture of the squirrel from Ice Age as their profile pictures? That was so unique (I thought) that I was sure of it. Dang. I just searched for it, and it was the other guy who has that profile picture.

I am sorry for that mistake and accusing you.

Reactions: SSedan
Oh my goodness! I am so sorry. That wasn't you. What are the ridiculous odds that two people on a Tesla forum would both decide to use that same picture of the squirrel from Ice Age as their profile pictures? That was so unique (I thought) that I was sure of it. Dang. I just searched for it, and it was the other guy who has that profile picture.

I am sorry for that mistake and accusing you.

I'm just glad I didn't fly off the handle. Lucky you didn't catch me 5 years ago :)

Yea, when I saw Ice Age I thought.. damn... that's me... that's my life. I'm forever working hard to get it together then it just all blows up in my face... so I embraced my inner Scrat.

I like the other Scrat's Avatar, but thought it would be rude to copy it... Saber Tooth Squirrel ... SabrToothSqrl...

Because you referenced recommendations you had in 2013.

Today, it’s dumb to install a 14-50 outlet.

Of course it will work and you might save a few bucks. But that doesn’t make it a smart choice.

I always try to be 'dumb like a fox!'
in 2002 I remodeled and upgraded
a 100a panel to 200a for other reasons.
relocating breaker box outside of closet
where it was built in 1978 left me with a
run of 6 gauge dryer outlet wire, which I
ran to the garage just because it was there.
installed the dryer plug, not ever thinking
tesla in the future, but thinking 'something?'

fast forward to model 3, changed the dryer plug
to NEMA 14-50 and bought a CMC to affix to
garage wall, and carry the UMC w/14-50 & 5-15
adaptors in the bag, so at home I get 40a CMC
charging or ~35 mph.

I think (as do other model 3 owners) I made a
smart (dumb luck) move, and that was 2002!

NEMA 14-50 rule!

Reactions: eprosenx
I always try to be 'dumb like a fox!'
in 2002 I remodeled and upgraded
a 100a panel to 200a for other reasons.
relocating breaker box outside of closet
where it was built in 1978 left me with a
run of 6 gauge dryer outlet wire, which I
ran to the garage just because it was there.
installed the dryer plug, not ever thinking
tesla in the future, but thinking 'something?'

fast forward to model 3, changed the dryer plug
to NEMA 14-50 and bought a CMC to affix to
garage wall, and carry the UMC w/14-50 & 5-15
adaptors in the bag, so at home I get 40a CMC
charging or ~35 mph.

I think (as do other model 3 owners) I made a
smart (dumb luck) move, and that was 2002!

NEMA 14-50 rule!

2002 isn’t “today” now is it.

Good for you.

I’m sure you have a GFCI installed as well.

Good for you.

don-quixote-charging-windmills-2-1080x665.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

Good for you.

the inclusion of date was to your reference,
I merely included it to keep perspective.

GFCI isn't required by code in my neighborhood,
but thanks for your concern, as it's worked well
(inspected monthly) for going on 1 year,
no problems! so no plans to fix what isn't broken!

BTW, the missed point is NEMA 14-50 rule!

Everyone's needs are different. The Wall Connector has many upsides listed on the thread here. For me, the main downside for the Wall Connector is the price. The high-capacity electronics and even the cable gauge to the car are overkill for the Model 3 SR+ (which is hard limited to 32 amp maximum). And I am not too keen on future-proofing for a larger battery car someday - my house panel is only 150 A anyway.

Good. All this means is that Tesla is strongly recommending the Wall Connector (which is one of the cheapest and more reliable EVSEs in the industry, it's a good deal) instead of using the Mobile Connector. If you want to go against Tesla's recommendation, just splurge $35 and get the NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 adapter. No big deal.

The Wall Connector is indeed much more reliable, better built, and less problem prone than a NEMA 14-50 receptacle, NEMA 14-50 adapter and Mobile Connector solution.

Reactions: teshreve and KJD