Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 is dead - all hail NEMA 6-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEMA 6-50 outlet in my garage. Will this work with my corded mobile connector and 6-50 adaptor? What can I expect for amps?
IMG_5796.JPG

Reactions: Rocky_H
OP, good evaluation of the pros and cons. I can think of one other, possibly big advantage of the 6-50: the smaller caliber cable should be easier to pass through conduit. One has to do that themselves to realize how much of a PITA it can be.

That said, I'd stick with 14-50r since I have to carry the 14-50 adapter anyway for L2 charging away from home and I like the idea of offering a more common receptacle for visitors. I agree that EV visitors are not a consideration if they are offered a J-1772.

Nitpick: the wire run length is a ymmv. It would be better to just add the cost per foot of an extra wire for the 14-50 choice. The costs can actually flip then, for people with a short run but possible extra cost of the 14-50 adapter AND the 6-50 adapter.

I initially ran a 6-50 receptacle in my garage to use my UMC. I already have one on the back wall for my garage heater and air compressor/welder, and I thought adding another one closer to the charge port of the car would give me greater flexibility. So I ran 3/4" schedule 80 conduit with two 6ga THHN Cu conductors and one 10ga ground wire from the panel to a disconnect in the garage (in case I ever wanted to change/repair anything, like an EVSE), then to the 6-50 receptacle. The disconnect is also nice in case there's an emergency and I can cut power right there. I wanted to run a spare neutral wire just in case I ever needed it, but that would require me to move up to 1" conduit, which was too large for what I wanted. So I nixed that and just went with 2 conductor + ground instead.

I did end up removing the outlet and installing a grizzl-e EVSE instead. It came with a 6-50 plug so I was able to test it with the receptacle. But I removed it and hard wired the EVSE instead for one less failure point.

Reactions: Rocky_H
In late 2019 when I first got my Model 3, I installed a 14-50. It was a short cable run (less than 25') and I don't recall there being a significant cost difference between that and a 6-50.
But we moved 2 months ago, so I had to do it all over again - with a longer run (65-70 feet) and the vastly increased cable prices due to the pandemic. It was significantly cheaper to go with 6-50 AND the new mobile cable connector than to go with 14-50. I doubt I'll ever miss that neutral wire out there... tho if the cost difference hadn't been so dramatic, I woulda gone for the 14-50 "just in case"