Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 or Hardwire ChargePoint electric company paying for service upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I go for the 14-50 or hardwire the ChargePoint? I am getting a 200 amp service upgrade which will be paid for by PSEG NJ electric service provider.

Hardwire: if I get another charger I would have to hire the electrician to come back and install the new charger. (This is only if something goes wrong or I decide to go with a Tesla charger in the future). Right now they only accept the use of a ChargePoint and JuiceBox charger to get this service upgrade for free. You cannot just get 14-50 install and use the Tesla 14-50 adapter.

Any things I should look for in the quotes for the service? I am choosing between 3 electricians I am basically choosing based reviews (all are good) but want to make sure they're offering the right wiring etc. Thanks

If PSEG NJ is offering to pay the cost of upgrading your home's electrical service to 200 amp if you install a hard wired EVSE (Chargepoint or Juicebox) then just do it. The service upgrade is worth several thousand dollars and theoretically increases the value of your home.

Your just need to decide, select the EVSE (Chargepoint or Juicebox) and determine where it needs to be installed for best reach and utility while charging. Let the electrician do the rest. Their electrician's license depends on them not violating code. You might ask for a quote to install larger wire (smaller gauge number) capable of supporting a 60A circuit in the future even though the current EVSE and the circuit would be rated for 50A.

The Tesla Wall Connector is a good option but it is no more effort to charge using the Chargepoint or Juicebox EVSE with the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter.

If PSEG NJ is offering to pay the cost of upgrading your home's electrical service to 200 amp if you install a hard wired EVSE (Chargepoint or Juicebox) then just do it. The service upgrade is worth several thousand dollars and theoretically increases the value of your home.

Your just need to decide, select the EVSE (Chargepoint or Juicebox) and determine where it needs to be installed for best reach and utility while charging. Let the electrician do the rest. Their electrician's license depends on them not violating code. You might ask for a quote to install larger wire (smaller gauge number) capable of supporting a 60A circuit in the future even though the current EVSE and the circuit would be rated for 50A.

The Tesla Wall Connector is a good option but it is no more effort to charge using the Chargepoint or Juicebox EVSE with the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter.
I bought the ChargePoint already since there is a 1-2 week backorder. I want to have it there when they upgrade. I will see the price difference hopefully it still stays below the $5000 max

You could do something like I did, which is both a hardwired charger and a 14-50 plug.

TeslaCharger_plugs.jpg

Before any of the armchair or IRL electricians get out their pitchforks and torches, yes everything you see are on separate breakers, installed by a professional, permitted, inspected and signed off.

You could do something like I did, which is both a hardwired charger and a 14-50 plug.

View attachment 740626

Before any of the armchair or IRL electricians get out their pitchforks and torches, yes everything you see are on separate breakers, installed by a professional, permitted, inspected and signed off.
I was thinking about this. My panel is in the basement I am installing the charger and or plug at the side of the house. So both are on 50 amp breakers? Do you have 200 amps

I was thinking about this. My panel is in the basement I am installing the charger and or plug at the side of the house. So both are on 50 amp breakers? Do you have 200 amps
Yes, we already have a 200a panel. The panel was full however, so I had some smaller circuits moved over to a 100a subpanel, freeing up space in the main panel for 2 x 50a circuits. They also did 2 x 20a circuits from the subpanel, in that same general area, so I can run high amperage equipment like a Kranzle electric pressure washer and a compound miter, without tripping breakers.

The 14-50 is really a hedge for a potential second charger in the future, and made sense to spend a few extra $$ while they were doing the Tesla charger.

Yes, we already have a 200a panel. The panel was full however, so I had some smaller circuits moved over to a 100a subpanel, freeing up space in the main panel for 2 x 50a circuits. They also did 2 x 20a circuits from the subpanel, in that same general area, so I can run high amperage equipment like a Kranzle electric pressure washer and a compound miter, without tripping breakers.

The 14-50 is really a hedge for a potential second charger in the future, and made sense to spend a few extra $$ while they were doing the Tesla charger.
I am not getting the Tesla charger. I bought the ChargePoint We will have two Tesla's so if I do the same way you have I can charge one on ChargePoint the other on the 14-50 with the adapter. But I will probably need more than 200 amps maybe 250 I am not sure I have to ask the electrician on Monday. I don't have an electric dryer or anything like that. I do have central air.

Reactions: Corndart
I bought the ChargePoint already since there is a 1-2 week backorder. I want to have it there when they upgrade. I will see the price difference hopefully it still stays below the $5000 max

As jcanoe mentioned you decide the EVSE and have the electrician install #6 gauge wire which would accomodate for a 60 Amp circuit. Also once you have the wire it is easy to swap out a Chargepoint or Juicebox EVSE as it is simple wire connections and possibly unscrewing the backplate. With Tesla Wall Connector the wires have to be tightened at a specific torque level however this on wire backplate. If you need to switch between wall connector of the same type, it is very simple.

Also PSEG pays upto $1500 for behind the meter costs for installing the EVSE regardless of 14-50 plug or hardwired, just make sure the receipt specifies EVSE install. If your panel needs an upgrade they cover upto $5000. In terms of charging rates it is RLM pricing for your EV only, there will charge you at Residential Service (RS) rates and give you a credit every quarter based on the difference between RS & RLM rates

I hope this helps.

Reactions: msm859
As jcanoe mentioned you decide the EVSE and have the electrician install #6 gauge wire which would accomodate for a 60 Amp circuit. Also once you have the wire it is easy to swap out a Chargepoint or Juicebox EVSE as it is simple wire connections and possibly unscrewing the backplate. With Tesla Wall Connector the wires have to be tightened at a specific torque level however this on wire backplate. If you need to switch between wall connector of the same type, it is very simple.

Also PSEG pays upto $1500 for behind the meter costs for installing the EVSE regardless of 14-50 plug or hardwired, just make sure the receipt specifies EVSE install. If your panel needs an upgrade they cover upto $5000. In terms of charging rates it is RLM pricing for your EV only, there will charge you at Residential Service (RS) rates and give you a credit every quarter based on the difference between RS & RLM rates

I hope this helps.
For the record, I never stated that installing #6 wire would accommodate for a 60 amp circuit. I suggested getting a quote for wiring for a 60A circuit, now, for the future use while installing the current 50 amp circuit. The electrician will decide what is required to meet code.

For the record, I never stated that installing #6 wire would accommodate for a 60 amp circuit. I suggested getting a quote for wiring for a 60A circuit, now, for the future use while installing the current 50 amp circuit. The electrician will decide what is required to meet code.
My electrician did a 6ga / 50amp circuit, which meets NEC code and passed inspection. I configured the charger for a 50 amp breaker and it should charge the vehicle at 40 amps / 9.6kW per the documentation.

Reactions: msm859

I hope this helps.
I picked the electrician closest to me just in case I don't get the charger on time. It would cost them nothing to come back. They're 3 blocks away from me. The quote is $3705 that includes $85 for permit paperwork. So it is under the $5000. The other electrician had upsells included in the quote so I decided to eliminate them from my choice. Even without the upgrades they're pretty close to that $5000 max.

View attachment 740626

Funny, I did the EXACT same thing. Got the Tesla charger as my main charger and had a 14-50 installed as a fail safe backup or if I ever need to charge 2 at once. Love it!

I am not getting the Tesla charger. I bought the ChargePoint We will have two Tesla's so if I do the same way you have I can charge one on ChargePoint the other on the 14-50 with the adapter. But I will probably need more than 200 amps maybe 250 I am not sure I have to ask the electrician on Monday. I don't have an electric dryer or anything like that. I do have central air.
Be curious what the electrician said. Next jump would be 400a service, which is typically going to require trenching and laying a larger main into the house. More than 200amps concurrently would be a heck of a lot of juice being pulled, even with 2 x EV chargers and AC, you're likely well under.

Be curious what the electrician said. Next jump would be 400a service, which is typically going to require trenching and laying a larger main into the house. More than 200amps concurrently would be a heck of a lot of juice being pulled, even with 2 x EV chargers and AC, you're likely well under.
I was told I can get both hardwired and 14-50 but would not be able to charge at the same time. If I did want to charge at the same time it would be $2500 for that plus the service upgrade.

I was told I can get both hardwired and 14-50 but would not be able to charge at the same time. If I did want to charge at the same time it would be $2500 for that plus the service upgrade.
To have both; the Wall Connector installed (hard wired) on a 50A circuit and the NEMA 14-50 receptacle would require two separate 50A circuits. The addition of the second 50A circuit might mean that your service would need to be upgraded.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Should I go for the 14-50 or hardwire the ChargePoint? I am getting a 200 amp service upgrade which will be paid for by PSEG NJ electric service provider.

Hardwire: if I get another charger I would have to hire the electrician to come back and install the new charger. (This is only if something goes wrong or I decide to go with a Tesla charger in the future). Right now they only accept the use of a ChargePoint and JuiceBox charger to get this service upgrade for free. You cannot just get 14-50 install and use the Tesla 14-50 adapter.

Any things I should look for in the quotes for the service? I am choosing between 3 electricians I am basically choosing based reviews (all are good) but want to make sure they're offering the right wiring etc. Thanks
I put in my own charger and wired it. I had a 100 foot run so I used #6-3 with a ground. The wire cost me $700.00 and the Tesla Charger was $500.00 I also put in a 50 amp breaker. I used conduit in the garage and ran the wire in the basement along side my Chevrolet Volt #8 wire as it only draws 8 amps. No big deal to do it. I already had an auxiliary box for the Volt.