Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Plug Install Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My house is pretty new (built in 2012), so it already had 200 amp service and there were plenty of open spots on the panel. My electric box is in the basement and is in the opposite corner of the house from the garage. I have a ranch with a full basement, so the run was over 100 feet and the electrician had to wall fish into the garage, over the garage finished ceiling and down to the spot I asked for. Columbus Ohio, total price just over $600 for the NEMA 14-50.

I think every house built after about 1990 where I live has a 200A or more panel. Mine did. 100A is just too small if you have an electric range and dryer, IMO. Some even more modern McMansions I've to have double utility rooms and double ovens plus electric central AC. That's a lot of power if they're all in use at once.
Most US houses were built long before 1990 and McMansions are a small percentage of houses, even in CA.

Reactions: Jedi2155
A friend of mine had this done by a licensed electrician in Florida for 212.50.
20181213_103104.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Jedi2155
A friend of mine had this done by a licensed electrician in Florida for 212.50.
View attachment 361312
As simple as it gets. Any plans to patch up the wall? An alternative, would be NM cable (Romex) to an in-wall receptacle. Looks to be a subpanel so the wall cavity should be free of insulation and/or feeder lines. I would say a city inspector likely would have had you patch the wall up. The point being for the inspector to tighten up city standards for installation.

Last edited:
As simple as it gets. Any plans to patch up the wall? An alternative, would be NM cable (Romex) to an in-wall receptacle. Looks to be a subpanel so the wall cavity should be free of insulation and/or feeder lines. I would say a city inspector likely would have had you patch the wall up. The point being for the inspector to tighten up city standards for installation.
Agreed that it should be patched up and in-wall would definitely be nicer. That section of the wall is an empty chase for the main panel, so there's no reason an in-wall couldn't be done. But they didn't ask me and I won't be touching it because I don't want to be liable for any electrical issues with my friends house. I just wanted to provide the example for the "pretty much as cheap as it gets" installation.

Agreed that it should be patched up and in-wall would definitely be nicer. That section of the wall is an empty chase for the main panel, so there's no reason an in-wall couldn't be done. But they didn't ask me and I won't be touching it because I don't want to be liable for any electrical issues with my friends house. I just wanted to provide the example for the "pretty much as cheap as it gets" installation.
One thing to add as far as pricing goes. My bonafide contractor buddy also said for unfinished garage (meaning no texture and paint) that it’s easier to run cable behind the wall than deal with conduit to the extent of cutting very long sections of dry wall as long as you don’t navigate around a corner. Dry wall and tape is easy and cheap. Texturing is something no one does as DIY.

He was from Somerset. I'm in Branchburg (near Somerville). He did good work. Scared me a bit because he didn't turn off my solar array when he worked on the panel. His quote was "175 total price". Turns out he didn't include parts in his total price. He was willing to eat the difference, but I paid the extra 50 and told him to watch his wording. In and out in under 45 minutes.
Do you mind messaging me his details? Thanks

He was from Somerset. I'm in Branchburg (near Somerville). He did good work. Scared me a bit because he didn't turn off my solar array when he worked on the panel. His quote was "175 total price". Turns out he didn't include parts in his total price. He was willing to eat the difference, but I paid the extra 50 and told him to watch his wording. In and out in under 45 minutes.

I live up 287 a bit in Parsippany and have a great electrician... probably a few bucks more than $175 but I've used him for a bunch of jobs, all very very reasonable and great work. He ran a 30a circuit from the garage to the far side of my basement (it's a ranch style so it's literally the furthest two points in the home) for about $300. I'm not ready yet but will hopefully pull the trigger on a Model 3 in June (waiting out my current lease), at which time I'll have him put a Tesla wall charger outside. It's about 8 feet down the same wall from the breaker panel, so I'd imagine his price would be somewhere between your $175 and the $300 I paid for the basement circuit.

If only you could tap into that solar farm on route 202 by Branchburg town hall.... I'm sure it generates enough for you to do full 48A charging vs. the home solar ... :)

That's owned by the town. It's a toy compared to the one on the southbound side of Rt 202 across from Chubb Way. I believe that one powers Chubb.

I believe you’re right - the southbound one is quite a bit larger .... although if you combine both farms, it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the power consumed between Chubb Way and Imclone Dr. There’s some pretty heavy consumers (one which I know fairly intimately) over there. :)

I am in NoVA. A Tesla referred electrician havepower quoted me $1080 + $180 permit. They quote based on pictures and a questionnaire completed by the homeowner. I elected to have a 25Y licensed electrician install a NEMA 14-50, 65FT 6/3, and a 50A for $525. Keep in mind there was no permit and I helped pull and route cable. The job took 2.5 hours with my help.

I paid 638CAD, so about 475USD for NEMA 14-50 with a 30 feet cable and a 40A breaker
I noted that the 40A breaker makes your installation questionable. I am assuming you have a 32A charging station plugged in currently. If anyone plugs in a 40A charging station or an appliance with a NEMA 14-50 plug, there will be problems. I sure hope the wire is sized for NEMA 14-50. I hope you find my response constructive.

@Thunder7ga I live in the Atlanta area as well. Did you get the NEMA 15-40 installed now. Can you refer the electrician who did it for you? Can also let me know how much did you pay for it?

I got quotes from 3 different company's, all were within $100 of each other. I used Arc Angel Electrical out of your neck of the woods (Cumming). My run was about 40' and cost about $1k. I would have thought that was high before getting 3 quotes, but all were in that ballpark.