Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Netzero App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also a net exporter and will be following this thread. What I'd be hoping to achieve:

3pm to midnight - Prioritize solar generation to self consumption and send excess to grid. Run off Powerwalls when solar generation is insufficient to power home.

Midnight to sunrise - Continue to run off my Powerwalls until I hit my reserve.

Sunrise to 3pm - Prioritize solar production to self consumption. Send excess solar to Powerwalls until full then send excess solar to grid. If Powerwalls aren't going to be fully recharged by 3pm then engage grid charging to get them fully charged by 3pm.

What I'd really like is a self consumption mode that would never draw from the grid between 4-9pm and only draw from the grid between 3-4pm and 9pm to midnight if necessary to avoid drawing from the grid between 4-9pm.

Looking forward to seeing what other people do.
Don't know your system specifics but can likely accomplish this by setting Backup reserve to whatever (eg 20%) in Tesla app and then setting up 2 automations in Netzero:
  • 2pm: Time-based Control, Enable grid charge
  • 3pm: Self-Powered, Disable grid charge
TBC at 2pm to force 5kW grid charge per PW if necessary, would add up to 37% charge.

The last part you could add to the 3pm automation a backup reserve of say, 90%, if you think worst case usage from 4-9pm is 70% of your Powerwalls, then a 4pm automation to change reserve to 20%...

Reactions: RKCRLR
BTW - on Mac you can't add automations:
1709916266080.png

Thanks for the report, the next version will have a fix. You can use the web version in the meantime.

Cool. Thanks. I didn't even know there was a website. I might just install the web app as a dock icon instead. Also, do the solar estimates sync between iOS and web? I put them into the iOS app but I don't see them anywhere else.

Finally, I'd love to see NetZero widgets on the home screen of my phone. Large.

Cool. Thanks. I didn't even know there was a website. I might just install the web app as a dock icon instead. Also, do the solar estimates sync between iOS and web? I put them into the iOS app but I don't see them anywhere else.
Estimates don't sync yet, but this is coming soon.

It would be nice to have the website icon be higher res :) Top icon is the iOS app running on Mac. Bottom icon is the website icon.
This should be fixed now. Favicons are cached pretty aggressively, so you might need to force-reload the page or restart your browser to make them refresh.

Using Firefox with the web version I see the timescale cut off for all the graphs. Works fine in Safari.
Fixed now.

Thanks for all the reports, keep them coming!

Two thoughts regarding the Automations:

1) It would be nice to have an option to edit an existing automation. Instead of having to remove it and re-add it.
2) It would also be great to have a "Run now" or “Execute" option to test it, or even just have it run on demand.

As everyone else mentioned, this is a great tool! Keep up the great work.

Edit: I also noticed a small bug with calculations for Energy Flow "used by" Vehicle versus Grid:

IMG_0380.jpeg

@offandonagain here's an unsolicited feature request...

Current graph view in Tesla app and Netzero offer scrubbing data: "Tap and hold on the graph view to scrub and review data from specific timestamps. For example, you can scrub and see that your solar generated a peak power of 6kW at noon."

Would love to see the aggregate energy for the day before and after the specific timestamp. For example, scrub at noon and not only see that solar generated an instantaneous 6kW, but also that from 12:01am to noon, solar generated 21kWh, and from noon to 11:59pm, solar generated 25kWh

Some use cases:
  1. Analyze energy sums before/after a timestamp: Home energy usage, PW energy imported & exported, solar production, Grid energy imported & exported
  2. Ease of use; to analyze today, need to download the data, divide each cell by 12, and sum. Would be great to know it without having to leave the app.
  3. Benchmarking
    1. your system's "solar noon"
    2. by when in a day solar generates X kWh
    3. solar production from a given timestamp until sunset, to know how much to charge your car while leaving enough juice to fill the PW
  4. Dynamically update values while scrubbing
  5. Determine home usage between Time A and Time B by scrubbing at those timestamps and taking the difference
  6. Can be extended to Month/Year/Lifetime views as well

Last edited:
@offandonagain FYI I noticed in Month/Year/Lifetime views the bar charts for Powerwall and Grid don't show the correct values for Charged and Exported respectively, when you hover. They are showing the Discharged and Imported values twice.
Good catch, fixed and will go out with the next app version.

1) It would be nice to have an option to edit an existing automation. Instead of having to remove it and re-add it.
2) It would also be great to have a "Run now" or “Execute" option to test it, or even just have it run on demand.
Agreed, both both of these are planned.

Edit: I also noticed a small bug with calculations for Energy Flow "used by" Vehicle versus Grid:
Interesting, does Tesla's app show the same data?

Quick question. If I have automations what happens when Stormwatch is enabled? Will Stormwatch override the automation settings or will an automation override Stormwatch the next time the automation is scheduled?
Good question! I have not tested this, but I think a safer option is to not run automations when Storm Watch is active. I plan to make this change, let me know if you think otherwise. Btw push/email notifications are also coming soon, so that way you'll know if an automation fails to run.

Another interesting edge case is a grid outage. I think that one is probably safe to leave as-is, because none of the configuration options really apply in a grid-outage.

Would love to see the aggregate energy for the day before and after the specific timestamp.
I like the idea, I know I've used drag-and-zoom with Powerwall-Dashboard to achieve this. Will add this to the list of feature requests.

Reactions: RKCRLR and gsdubs

Looking at today (I charged a bit today from battery) it looks correct. But Netzero shows no "vehicle" charging today (yet). I’ve noticed the actual app is sometimes slow to categorize usage as vehicle. Not sure about the discrepancies.

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

Edit: the Tesla app does show the same numbers. I’ve always felt that the Vehicle numbers are a bit sketchy.

IMG_1701.jpeg

Last edited:
Good question! I have not tested this, but I think a safer option is to not run automations when Storm Watch is active. I plan to make this change, let me know if you think otherwise. Btw push/email notifications are also coming soon, so that way you'll know if an automation fails to run.

Another interesting edge case is a grid outage. I think that one is probably safe to leave as-is, because none of the configuration options really apply in a grid-outage.

I agree that it makes sense to disable automations when Storm Watch is active or perhaps make disabling automation during Storm Watch an option.

I think knowing if automation fails to run is a good idea, I wouldn't want to be "stuck" in one of the automations without realizing it.

I imagine during a power outage automations wouldn't have an effect.

Reactions: offandonagain
Good catch, fixed and will go out with the next app version.

I like the idea, I know I've used drag-and-zoom with Powerwall-Dashboard to achieve this. Will add this to the list of feature requests.
I also noticed that on my Windows 10 computer the pulldown for the calendar opens and then quickly closes. When I try again then I see a minimized version that does the same thing. I don't remember having this problem earlier and the Android app doesn't have this problem.

One other feature that may be useful for those who use automations would be the ability to group rules together. The groups could have an "Enable Now" button as well as the ability to be invoked on calendar dates. I.e., one could have groups for Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.

I realize this may be out of the scope you intended for this app but you might want to keep it in mind for future enhancements.

Thanks for the great app!

Reactions: offandonagain
Have just had my PW2 installed and it's been working great with the automations in NetZero so big thanks to the developer!

Question which I'm hoping to get help with: I get really cheap power between midnight and 6am and I usually charge my car between those hours. Is there a way to set it to stop the PW discharging so I just use grid power to charge my car? I don't want the PW being charged during those hours either.

Any ideas?