Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neural Net Wipers...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have been working on this for some time now and... they are still rubbish, dangerous even.

Last night on the M11 I had switched them to manual slow intermittant due to the auto setting wiping at a frantic rate even in low rainfall. It then came down heavily, and I was behind a lorry so there was suddenly a lot of water hitting the screen. I tapped the stalk and then switched them to Auto. Nothing happended, by that I mean they stopped and absolutely would not wipe (and yes, the button on screen was blue so they were def on). I ended up switching them back to manual on full speed. After all this time, they need to abandon this approach and use a normal rain sensor.

Whilst on the subject of automation, I can't see them ever getting autonomy to work properly with the current camera related hardware. In the rain last night, at various points in the half hour journey, at various points all four cameras (b pillar and front wing) posted up messages that they were obscured or blinded.

Reactions: Pagemakers
The whole purpose of Starlink is to seed rainclouds with little transmitters so that they fall along with the rain. The signal from all these little these transmitters will then be detected by the next generation Tesla wiper sensors to automatically adjust the trajectory of screen mounted laser beams to zap the rain drops before hitting the windscreen. This technology will also be used for a new range of convertibles so that they no longer require the additional expense and weight of a recoverable roof.

I haven't encountered such issue. To be fair, I dont know if the wipers work better or worst than any other cars (on auto) and I have/have had a few with this option.

None the less, Im not impartial to oddities and sympathise that this i is an honest statement by the OP.

I like to crack a joke as much as the next person but I think we could be at risk of borderline mocking here. Lets move on...

Reactions: jabloomf1230
I was in the same rainstorm for several hours and found the auto setting wasn't stellar but I used it for several hours of heavy rain and spray.

Similar to other auto systems I've used it doesn't cope well with a deluge of rain or spray - fine drops at a very high volume. However as the OP found its reaction to the screen becoming completely obscured by rain and spray was often to cease.wiping rather than speed up until you manually cleared it with a single tap on the wash stalk. Eventually on my return journey I switched to manual speed 2 which required less input from me.

Overall I'd say it's slightly worse than my previous Merc for auto wiping as judged by how often I have to help out, but I'd be lying if I said I never had to "wake" that system either - seems to be a thing with auto wiping and some kinds of rain.