Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it come with a new MCU? Can't run The Witcher on an Atom.
It's now a gaming console on wheels, instead of an iPad on wheels. It gets obsoleted in about the same amount of time (see what driving a Feb 2018 Model S with MCU1 is like in January 2021 - obsolete software like on a 3 year old iPad).

So is the gaming unit another computer, or is this saying the FSD computer (which is in the 3/Y) is as powerful as the latest PlayStation (in flops)

Sounds like they have another unit, most likely some AMD solution (which the PlayStation 5 uses as well). Sounds like they will do some video pass-through in the normal MCU2 for games from the more powerful one.

That's all we need -- primary controls whose location in space is dependent upon the angle of the steering wheel. Today, I can correctly and immediately locate and use my turn signals, wiper controls, cruise control/AP, and shift lever regardless of the position or angle of the steering wheel. What in HELL is the possible advantage of making all those functions moving targets that are more difficult to locate and operate?
Looks like change for change sake, not for any good reason i can fathom.

I think that's more of a concern on a traditional steering wheel, where your controls can actually be upside down and on opposite sides from where they normally are. You won't have that issue with this new steering device.

Yeah, the more I reflect on the new steering wheel, the more I believe the only way it will work is Tesla really redefining what "speed sensitive steering" is. But that said, I'm holding off any purchase until I see this thing in use and positive owner reviews.

Yeah, the more I reflect on the new steering wheel, the more I believe the only way it will work is Tesla really redefining what "speed sensitive steering".

Undoubtedly.
I mean they already have 3 modes in the 3/Y.

They just need a 4th low speed mode that gradually kicks in say below 25mph and enables full lock on about a 60 degree turn (so hands move from 9/3 to say 11/5 for a right)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Did they mention what the KWH of the battery pack for any of these versions? Are they still using the 100KWH battery packs? I swear I read that @greentheonly on Twitter hacked the UI and saw the new battery options months ago and that its now a 110 KWH pack or 109, something like that.

Also, according to Electrek, they are automating the PRND drive modes.. So no buttons either! I guess the vehicle is going to use AI to know which drive mode to go in... What could go wrong? :D

Don't think pack size was stated.
Given the minor range change on LR I'd think it's still 100kWh (probably all down to heat pump and aero tweaks).

The Plaid+ has 33% more range than the Plaid, but will be heavier, so it's presumably a 135-140kWh pack.

That Electrek article says its automated, but there will be manual PRND buttons below the wireless charger.

Don't see the fog lights on this refresh, something that comes in use where I live. That steering wheel is a no go for me... I'll keep my '19 S and look at the new S-Class. We have a Model 3 so I'm not interested at all in a more expensive Model 3. Was considering a Model X but may seek out a late model 2020 X, that steering wheel looks like massive accidents waiting to happen (e.g., hand slips, force of habit top wheel grab when now that's just not there). It's called a "steering wheel" what everyone passed their driving tests on, not a "steering half box". Knight Rider was a TV show, it wasn't real.. someone should inform Tesla that the kids think they're cool already, there's no need to pull away from the copycats like the new 2021 S-Class with safety noncompliant radical (and maybe illegal in some states) steering wheels. Does this thing even have an air bag?

I'm not in the car market to make 1 guy's public image more prolific, with this idiotic steering half box (wheel), I'm in the market to purchase vehicles that will best help keep my family and I safe while motoring.

Last edited:
Been looking closely at the tires to see if they are using any new sizes.

The front of the 19" setup looks to be 255 x 45 x R19.
The front of the 21" setup looks to be 265 x 35 x R21.

When looking at the closeup shot of the front tire: beyond the color difference in brake calipers, has anyone noticed the slight difference in the wheel offset when choosing between the base model and Plaid? I wonder if this is "realistic attention to detail" of the wheels on their website, or its just coincidence.

TeslaRaj has seemingly got some better quality renders for his video.

At 4.27 steering wheel buttons are clearly visibly.
Left side - light, left/right blinkers
Right side - horn, wipers, voice control.

So where are gear selector and autopilot.
Electrek article suggested some additional buttons near the wireless charger, and from Raj's video the Emergency button seems to be there.

Or maybe the central part of the wheel which is normally the horn?
If I had to guess, considering they call it a yoke, it wouldn’t surprise me if you push the wheel forward to get it in drive and pull it backward to get it in reverse. I hope that’s not the case.

Agreed. 3.7 was fast already. Now 3.1? High end sports car speed.
My P85D shipped with 3.1 (later improved with the ludicrous upgrade). It was then called "insane" mode. Notice the new website text refers to the LR as having insane acceleration? So yes, the new base model has acceleration that Elon 6 years ago boasted was on par with a McLaren F1.

Good summary and more detail on the Yoke in this electrek article.

Tesla's new steering wheel comes with Autopilot sensor-based drive modes, force touch buttons, and more - Electrek

Drive/Reverse will generally be automatic based on sensors, but also buttons just under the charging pad (so essentially where a stick would be in a normal car).

Autopilot button on the right side (along with horn, wipers and voice command)
I back in to my garage at home. I wonder how it’s going to know when I’m ready to switch from driving forward to driving in reverse?

Reactions: Matias
Right side - horn, wipers, voice control.

So where are gear selector and autopilot.
This is the right side of it, between horn button and wipers is a button to engage TACC. I believe the gearshift is on the big screen..
BB85ACF1-B387-4D5A-A7A8-9051FB38D92F.jpeg

Steering wheel is the future, absolutely brilliant!

At low speed each radial movement is amplified so you are never rotating the wheel around. At higher speed, it works more like current wheels do. If you don't "get it", you soon will, literally and figuratively. :) Tesla just leaped the steering control into the future, it's what they do.

RT
Actually, no steering wheel is the future. So how far off is fully autonomous driving if even Tesla spent resources to redesign that?

Steering wheel is the future, absolutely brilliant!

At low speed each radial movement is amplified so you are never rotating the wheel around. At higher speed, it works more like current wheels do. If you don't "get it", you soon will, literally and figuratively. :) Tesla just leaped the steering control into the future, it's what they do.

RT
All joking aside, I am really looking forward to doing a test drive one day just to see how this steering wheel is going to work in the real world. I wouldn't dismiss it outright, but I am certainly curious to see how they pulled it off.

Plus, my Model 3 is named K.I.T.T. for a reason... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16
Agree but with the base model doing a 3.1 sprint to 60, aren't they all performance models?
It's all relative, I guess. Compared to the Plaid and Plaid+ models, maybe not.

These kinds of specs can often be more about bragging rights than practical use. There are plenty of very quick, fast, high horsepower cars out there that owners STILL spend $$$$ on aftermarket mods to make even faster, higher horsepower, etc. Again, bragging rights.