Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying elon is wrong

He wrote "override on touchscreen" but didn't specify which touchscreen.. there could be a dedicated one (hopefully more reliable?) per the Electrek article:

Per the Elektrek article -
'Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive’ drive modes at the base of the phone charger on the center console.

Is it hidden "under" the center console? I don't see it in any of the photos published so far.

View attachment 631559

Completely stupid. So if the touchscreen dies. You cant move the car. And we rely on the car to guess. Because autopark works so great! And tesla has such a great history of reliable touchscreens
How well does Elon expect this to work in snowy conditions? Make sure you also clean your bumpers! Hope there aren’t any pranksters with post-it notes that cover a sensor.

I wonder how you can manually adjust the wiper (speed, single wipe, etc.) without a stalk/button for it.
Going by how terrible the automatic wipers are in their current iteration, this would be a big concern for me. After all, other than the missing auto-turning headlights it's the thing I dislike most about my Model 3.

The steering wheel has a symbol for Spray. I guess that it will be just like the Model 3/Model Y, a single press will Single Wipe and a long push will Spray to clean the window. When you press that button once it also brings up the Wiper card on the screen where you can adjust the speed from 1-4 or auto. You can also press the Wiper icon on the screen for the same card to appear.

All I need 99% of the time is "Auto" and pressing for Single/Spray. Auto does work, it's not perfect, but neither are old school wiper modes.

Looks like a button for Autopilot on the steering wheel, beside the horn one? Otherwise what would that button be?

View attachment 631443

(autowippers are NOT ready for no stalk manual overwrite, especially in winter)
Yes, that is autopilot and tacc. Multiple presses probably engage it like the Model 3/Model Y.

He wrote "override on touchscreen" but didn't specify which touchscreen.. there could be a dedicated one (hopefully more reliable?) per the Electrek article:

Is it hidden "under" the center console? I don't see it in any of the photos published so far.
See the Hazard button? The grey area next to it is blank, but that is how the steering wheel also looks. So, it is very possible that what we can't see in the illustration is that there are haptic PRND buttons that light up and can be pressed. Not ideal, I like having the stalk or a shifter, but let's give the system a chance.

This redesign scares me. Rather the new steering "wheel", not really bothered by the rest. I can't fathom what Tesla is thinking. There is a reason the steering wheel is mostly round. In fact, I thought it was required by law. The only way a yolk style steering wheel has any practicality is if it only is quarter turn center to lock. Much like an airplane. Very dangerous to have such fast steering on a non-race car. I absolutely hate it.
As said before, Formula 1, Formula E and other driving series use a similar wheel. Let's give it time and see how we like it when we can actually try it out.

Formula-E-steering-wheel.jpg

Last edited:
See the Hazard button? The grey area next to it is blank, but that is how the steering wheel also looks. So, it is very possible that what we can't see in the illustration is that there are haptic PRND buttons that light up and can be pressed. Not ideal, I like having the stalk or a shifter, but let's give the system a chance.]

Good point! Looking forward to real users checking this out.

Don't think pack size was stated.
Given the minor range change on LR I'd think it's still 100kWh (probably all down to heat pump and aero tweaks).

The Plaid+ has 33% more range than the Plaid, but will be heavier, so it's presumably a 135-140kWh pack.

Notice that the LR lost about 350 pounds. That is quite a lot. They certainly didn't do it by making the paint (even) thinner.

The two heaviest components of the car are structural metal - and batteries.

Model 3 and Y Performance come standard with 20" Uberturbine in grey. Sporty! Yet the Model S Plaid comes with those 19" Tempest wheels that looks kind of dull. Wheels are very important for the overall looks so why didn't Tesla give the Plaid some nice base wheels?

I guess I'm in the minority here - I want this new S so badly!! I love it!! Nobody seems to be talking about the new powertrain, new battery, updated motors etc.

Most folks seem fixated on the yoke steering wheel and removal of stalks.
All that is nice, but convenience to drive trumps nearly everything else for me.
Looks like a button for Autopilot on the steering wheel, beside the horn one? Otherwise what would that button be?

View attachment 631443

(autowippers are NOT ready for no stalk manual overwrite, especially in winter)
I hope that isn’t the case, or I could foresee myself accidentally hitting the horn button instead of the AP quite a bit, depending on how the buttons work.

So I just got off the phone with my Tesla rep. I had ordered back on 10/19 a LR+. They won't honor the price. They give you a $2k discount that's it. So price jumps about $14k (~82k to 96k). Company is crap at managing through customer expectations and communication. Spoke to the manager as well, 'nothing they can do'. Stupid.

Yes, I ordered an iPhone 11 just before they announced the iPhone 12. Jerks at Apple are just like those at Tesla: they wouldn't honor the 11 price for the upgraded 12. Mumble, mumble, harrumph!