Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To everyone complaining about people complaining, should this forum be made accessible to those that have only positive things to say about a Tesla?
Not everyone here will have the same exact preferences with everything Tesla.

Clogging a thread about the redesign with worthless and misguided complaints about ordering is the issue. Make a new thread to have the "this is illegal let's sue" echo chamber in. :rolleyes:

There is also a lot of chatter about missing the PRND shifter, despite it being said it will be located beneath the phone chargers, In the photos, we see only a hazard flasher symbol there. Combining this with what we've heard about the yoke having force-touch buttons, and a previous Tesla patent for a steering wheel with displays on it that act as buttons, this makes me think that there will be a second touchscreen down there, similar to the "TouchBar" on MacBook Pros over the keyboard, that changes its buttons based on the context of what you're doing. Even Elon said they'd be on a "touchscreen", but also below the phone chargers. There clearly isn't a traditional "screen" there.

If this is indeed the case, I think that would be excellent use of space. We of course won't know until they go over the changes in greater detail, but I think it would be a wonderful to have software configurable buttons and would be the best of both worlds (future proofing vs not needed to dive into menus in the main screen to change things).

While the weird looking option is getting a lot of attention, it appears the S & X will get a round steering wheel.

I wouldn't be interested in a Yoke-style steering "wheel".

2021.5 Tesla Model S: Proof a Round Steering Wheel Option Might Exist!
Might be an option at some point but the actual order from Tesla very clearly says "Yoke Steering"

EC24776C-7151-46B8-BA91-8C396A525134.jpeg

Thanks for pointing this out. Looks like the tires are Pilot 4S, so pure summer tires. Hope mine comes later in March, otherwise I'll need to figure out what to do. Should I keep my existing 19" Slipstreams with all weather and trade/sell my current S with the arachnids? Was hoping to sell the arachnids separate from car, only have 3K miles on them.
In my opinion, I don't think you would get more money selling the car with the Arachnids. I would sell them separately at Tesla Parts for Sale. If you want to use your old Arachnids for winter, assuming the stagger works on the new car, Michelin does now make an All Seasonal tire that fits the 21" staggered and non staggered previous generation wheels.
Screenshot_20210129-114043_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
That’s actually a great idea. My concern, however, was getting black-listed for 12 months by Tesla if I refuse delivery. If I don’t like the new S, my Plan B was to get a new 3 Performance. I suppose I could just order both simultaneously, and bail on the 3P if I end up liking the S.
I thought the blacklisting only happened when you returned the vehicle within the 7-day window (previously allowed but no more).

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
In my opinion, I don't think you would get more money selling the car with the Arachnids. I would sell them separately at Tesla Parts for Sale. If you want to use your old Arachnids for winter, assuming the stagger works on the new car, Michelin does now make an All Seasonal tire that fits the 21" staggered and non staggered previous generation wheels.

But the 21" wheels are not good in the winter because of pot holes due to their low profile.

That is the great them about the free market. We are about to see how many think the steering wheel is "cool" and "futuristic" (pilots would beg to differ), and how many are put off by it. The only reason the S/X is getting this interior update is because more competition is on the way with newer designs. Maybe Elon thinks this will help the S/X stand out versus the competition. We are about to find out what the market thinks in a few months.

Speaking as a pilot, I think Elon missed a great opportunity. The yoke was a half-measure. Ditch the yoke for a side-mounted stick.

That would really free up some real estate in front of the driver.

Their entire model is direct sales. You want them to post 2 months early that they have new stuff coming and ruin their own sales pipeline just because you didn't read the terms of your order agreement, which specifically say "If we decide not to make it, we can cancel your order".

It's so irritating watching the people here whine, ESPECIALLY when the lead-up to this change was filled with these same people posting that they were placing speculative orders hoping to get a free windfall (WHICH THEY DID!).

They should not have continued to advertise/promote an existing product and price they knowingly would not be able to deliver on. Every automaker deals with model changeover logistical issues, Tesla should be able to as well. A sufficient order cut-off date for the "pre-updated" 2021 model should have been implemented. During this transition time, they still could have accepted reservations for the redesigned MS and MX similar to how they have with the Cybertruck and Roadster if they wanted to.

They should not have continued to advertise/promote an existing product and price they knowingly would not be able to deliver on. Every automaker deals with model changeover logistical issues, Tesla should be able to as well. A sufficient order cut-off date for the "pre-updated" 2021 model should have been implemented. During this transition time, they still could have accepted reservations for the redesigned MS and MX similar to how they have with the Cybertruck and Roadster if they wanted to.

They didn't know they couldn't deliver. They have cars in inventory, people refuse delivery all the time, etc. You might get unlucky and not be able to get the car you wanted. Which they expressly disclaim in your order agreement. What you're asking is for them to both osborne their existing sales and pre-reveal their intended market launch plans, which are just silly demands.

Not really the point. My point is that they haven't advertised that as a feature of the rear screen....which seems simple enough to do...so why not mention that it does it?
You're right it is simple enough... but Tesla doesn't have a PR or communications department to speak of. This seems to be one of their consistent misses from a business success standpoint.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
They didn't know they couldn't deliver. They have cars in inventory, people refuse delivery all the time, etc. You might get unlucky and not be able to get the car you wanted. Which they expressly disclaim in your order agreement. What you're asking is for them to both osborne their existing sales and pre-reveal their intended market launch plans, which are just silly demands.
I'm not quite sure how many companies could survive if they followed your suggested business model.

The excuse... that Tesla "didn't know they couldn't deliver?"

I could not even imagine how stupid I would look if I went to the customers in my company and said "we weren't sure if we could deliver."

I could not even imagine how I could hold on to my job if I went to my boss and explained how it was OK that I told our customers "we aren't sure if we can deliver."

I guess anyone can choose to be an apologist. But don't leave all common sense at the door.

Last edited:
There is also a lot of chatter about missing the PRND shifter, despite it being said it will be located beneath the phone chargers, In the photos, we see only a hazard flasher symbol there. Combining this with what we've heard about the yoke having force-touch buttons, and a previous Tesla patent for a steering wheel with displays on it that act as buttons, this makes me think that there will be a second touchscreen down there, similar to the "TouchBar" on MacBook Pros over the keyboard, that changes its buttons based on the context of what you're doing. Even Elon said they'd be on a "touchscreen", but also below the phone chargers. There clearly isn't a traditional "screen" there.

And even normally bull-headed Apple is abandoning the TouchBar and going back to physical function keys....

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm not making excuses, I'm trying to explain to a bunch of people who are needlessly angry that their claims are bogus and silly, and their demands are even more off the wall. And it's ESPECIALLY disingenuous coming from people that are on this board, where speculation has been running rampant over the impending refresh. You're saying a company who's entire model is just-in-time deliveries has to warn you in advance that a model is going away (again, even though there was still every chance your order could be fulfilled and still could be fulfilled when some other guy refuses delivery tomorrow of his pre-refresh Model S)? Come on. No rational business shoots themselves in the foot like that and they owe you nothing when you waited until literally the last possible moment to order the last generation vehicle. How many people actually ordered a car in December hoping against hope that they'd get the old model? People are just butt-hurt that they didn't get away with locking in a bargain basement price that was in the market for months.

GM takes orders all the time for cars they can't fulfill. I ordered my C6 with the Z51 package and kept getting delay after delay because they had supply chain issues. *sugar* happens.
How many people complaining about Tesla not honoring the old price would honor the old price if the new model cost less?

Someone (I think @ucmndd ) already said it but Tesla doesn’t owe anyone anything more than a deposit refund. Simple as that, of course Tesla also shouldn’t have been taking reservations knowing the price would be higher but that’s Tesla, they’re never on the same page internally

I'm not making excuses, I'm trying to explain to a bunch of people who are needlessly angry that their claims are bogus and silly, and their demands are even more off the wall. And it's ESPECIALLY disingenuous coming from people that are on this board, where speculation has been running rampant over the impending refresh. You're saying a company who's entire model is just-in-time deliveries has to warn you in advance that a model is going away (again, even though there was still every chance your order could be fulfilled and still could be fulfilled when some other guy refuses delivery tomorrow of his pre-refresh Model S)? Come on. No rational business shoots themselves in the foot like that and they owe you nothing when you waited until literally the last possible moment to order the last generation vehicle. How many people actually ordered a car in December hoping against hope that they'd get the old model? People are just butt-hurt that they didn't get away with locking in a bargain basement price that was in the market for months.

GM takes orders all the time for cars they can't fulfill. I ordered my C6 with the Z51 package and kept getting delay after delay because they had supply chain issues. *sugar* happens.

Of course *sugar* happens. And if GM does it to you all the time, you will say screw it and never order from them again. (If you're driving a Tesla and a Corvette, that's an interesting dichotomy, but I'll leave that for another time.)

Tesla is rapidly losing its goodwill through its shoddy build quality, poor reliability and scary customer service. I'm not a huge GM fan, but I will assume that Corvette owners have a lot of love and goodwill for their cars, and will typically forgive GM because of a supply issue.

I seriously doubt that GM knows it can't fulfill the Z51 package when you order your Vette, and figures you'd just deal with it at a later point.

GM does not collect non-refundable deposits. This endless deposit ploy of Tesla's is getting kind of old.