Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Tesla knew that the yoke is in a grey area and eventually the NHTSA might intervene. They already have a plan B. In case the yoke is a no go.

2021.5 Tesla Model S: Proof a Round Steering Wheel Option Might Exist!

Plan B... :cool:
Looking at the steering wheel photos, which have since disappeared from Tesla's site code,
we can see right away that the wheel itself is a new design relative to that of the outgoing Model S

Tesla-Model-S-round-steering-wheel-01.jpg

Tesla's steering yoke isn't new or particularly unique. Its pretty clear that Tesla took inspiration from racing (for better or worse).

Look at any virtually any vehicle in F1, IndyCar, and LeMans and other massive budget racing series. They've had yokes with buttons and dials for probably a decade or more. The teams put a lot of thought, research, and development into steering controls for their drivers.

Pressing the center section sounds the normal horn. The tiny button for for a softer horn to announce to pedestrians that your silent electric car is there.

Perhaps we need to get some hands on reports about how this new system works before going all critical.

Tesla's steering yoke isn't new or particularly unique. Its pretty clear that Tesla took inspiration from racing (for better or worse).

Look at any virtually any vehicle in F1, IndyCar, and LeMans and other massive budget racing series. They've had yokes with buttons and dials for probably a decade or more. The teams put a lot of thought, research, and development into steering controls for their drivers.

The average Tesla jockey is far from a trained racing series driver... there's lots of potential product liability here. :cool:

Reactions: logan
Looking at the steering wheel photos, which have since disappeared from Tesla's site code,
we can see right away that the wheel itself is a new design relative to that of the outgoing Model S

The steering wheel in the photo is different to any other Tesla steering wheel displayed. This isn't a Y wheel and this isn't a mistake. It can't have just popped up out of the blue.

"Plan B" only fixes half the usability issues. It still has no stalks. Predictive gear selection is a mind-bogglingly huge safety and liability issue once people start smashing into their garage walls, fast food outlets, and into other parked cars when they try to parallel park. My bet is the regulators will have more issues with that 'feature' then even the yoke (which they will also probably have issues with).

I really wish they would stop wasting their time defying well-established human interface conventions and research when there is no good reason (and no benefit). There is only downside to this strategy: they will gain virtually no sales from switch to a 'yoke' or getting rid of stalks, but they sure as heck will lose a lot. While they are still production-constrained they will not notice, but that will not last forever. They also open themselves up to very costly recalls, forced redesigns, retrofits, and lawsuits. Stop making your cars less safe and more frustrating to use, because they are great in so many other ways.

"Plan B" only fixes half the usability issues. It still has no stalks. Predictive gear selection is a mind-bogglingly huge safety and liability issue once people start smashing into their garage walls, fast food outlets, and into other parked cars when they try to parallel park. My bet is the regulators will have more issues with that 'feature' then even the yoke (which they will also probably have issues with).

I really wish they would stop wasting their time defying well-established human interface conventions and research when there is no good reason (and no benefit). There is only downside to this strategy: they will gain virtually no sales from switch to a 'yoke' or getting rid of stalks, but they sure as heck will lose a lot. While they are still production-constrained they will not notice, but that will not last forever. They also open themselves up to very costly recalls, forced redesigns, retrofits, and lawsuits. Stop making your cars less safe and more frustrating to use, because they are great in so many other ways.

Automatic gear shift will probably be an option like creep that can be turned off.

There probably will be a round steering wheel option.

These moves are absolutely brilliant. It has generated MANY articles and has gotten a lot more attention than normal because of these moves. This is absolutely wonderful and FREE advertising.

sure would be nice if people could relax a bit before even knowing the full situation. Hasn’t there been enough drama lately with life in general?

Automatic gear shift will probably be an option like creep that can be turned off.

There probably will be a round steering wheel option.

These moves are absolutely brilliant. It has generated MANY articles and has gotten a lot more attention than normal because of these moves. This is absolutely wonderful and FREE advertising.

sure would be nice if people could relax a bit before even knowing the full situation. Hasn’t there been enough drama lately with life in general?
The refresh alone would have generated just as much free advertising, do you think any news sites that have an article out about the refresh wouldn’t have done so if the steering wheel had been round? Of course they would have still published articles about it, Tesla = clicks

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
As the Tesla guy at my workplace the car has generated some good buzz among car guys. The biggest discussion point is the acceleration and HP (I've given most of them a ride in my now 'slow' P100D LOL). A few did mention the yoke as well, mainly the ones that are possible future owners. I do love that they seek me out and ask me if I've heard, like they have some groundbreaking news for me LOL!

The refresh alone would have generated just as much free advertising, do you think any news sites that have an article out about the refresh wouldn’t have done so if the steering wheel had been round? Of course they would have still published articles about it, Tesla = clicks

yes but I still think this is more. And if that steering wheel gets released as is, I could picture a story on the national news about it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m one of the people that had an Order Agreement for a LR+ and just got the call from Tesla that I need to pony up an additional $8k.

If you read the language of the Order Agreement, it does give Tesla the right to change the price if they stopped production or the vehicle changes AFTER the Order Agreement is in place. In this case Tesla knew PRIOR to the Order Agreement that they did not have inventory and did not plan to produce the vehicle in the Order Agreement. Tesla knowingly allowed the public to place orders and take their money on a vehicle they had no intention of delivering.

This is literally a Bate and Switch. Just like a sleezy dealership. Disappointing to see this from Tesla. I declined their offer based on the principal.

I’m one of the people that had an Order Agreement for a LR+ and just got the call from Tesla that I need to pony up an additional $8k.

If you read the language of the Order Agreement, it does give Tesla the right to change the price if they stopped production or the vehicle changes AFTER the Order Agreement is in place. In this case Tesla knew PRIOR to the Order Agreement that they did not have inventory and did not plan to produce the vehicle in the Order Agreement. Tesla knowingly allowed the public to place orders and take their money on a vehicle they had no intention of delivering.

This is literally a Bate and Switch. Just like a sleezy dealership. Disappointing to see this from Tesla. I declined their offer based on the principal.

How many would have kept their order? How many would have upgraded?

Id bet most would have chosen to upgrade. So then Tesla has all these older models just sitting there had they made them all.

it’s not bait and switch if it states it right in the agreement.

It sure is. How many other luxury automakers, like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc come out with an upgraded model, with better equipment as standard, say a BMW 5 and then charge $10k more for it? None. They would all be struggling if that happened. Makes no rational sense.

Tesla will drop the price eventually. The days of having the market to themselves are disappearing quickly and they will soon have to get much more competitive on price. I thought $69k was a good entry point, but not $10k more. Big mistake by Elon and after the initial rush of sales, probably higher end Model S, the S will struggle again.

It sure is. How many other luxury automakers, like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc come out with an upgraded model, with better equipment as standard, say a BMW 5 and then charge $10k more for it? None. They would all be struggling if that happened. Makes no rational sense.

BMW and Audi would force people to take the old one for the old price that already depreciated a lot instead. I'd rather get a discount on the new one or have the option to cancel than being forced to pay full price for something that was old even before I got it.

Last edited:

Tesla will drop the price eventually. The days of having the market to themselves are disappearing quickly and they will soon have to get much more competitive on price. I thought $69k was a good entry point, but not $10k more. Big mistake by Elon and after the initial rush of sales, probably higher end Model S, the S will struggle again.

Porsche increased prices by about $7K when going from 991.2 to 992 and they're doing pretty well at the moment

Without challenging the status quo there is no progress ... I applaud the effort ...

Quite agree. And I actually like the yoke. It’s cool/different, and really opens up the driver’s space.

I suspect I’m far from alone in diggin’ it.

The auto-PRND thing, though, kinda worries me, in a ‘what could go wrong’ way (i.e. plenty?).

Some things that aren’t seeming to get talked about much...

0-60 on the Long Range is now 3.1 seconds, down from 3.7, aka lots faster (as fast as a Mod 3 Performance, but with way better range).

Weight got cut by over 300 lbs (which probably accounts for a good chunk of the 0-60 improvement), BUT ALSO, and in combination with the new staggered tires (assuming they’re on the LR) should yield a pretty significant handling improvement.

The new improved batt pack cooling will allow for repeated launches and accelerations at full power. :)

IOW, the Long Range just got quite a bit sportier.

But ALL anyone wants to talk about is the yoke? Mmmkay. :confused:

Last edited:
Quite agree. And I actually like the yoke. It’s cool/different, and really opens up the driver’s space.

I suspect I’m far from alone in diggin’ it.

The auto-PRND thing, though, kinda worries me, in a ‘what could go wrong’ way (i.e. plenty?).

I personally love the yoke, 99.999% of my drive time im barely turning that thing anyway, its mostly slight turns, and even going on mointain roads its almost never more than 90 degree turn. I can imagen it beeing problematic in roundabouts or when parking, but I can live with that the pluss side is opening up the display and front window a lot.

Not worried about the prnd either, worst case the AI sucks and you have to change gear on the screen, which you do when standing still anyway and its like what, 2-4 times per drive? Not bad.
Only problem I can see is using the blinkers when having the yoke turned, for example when exiting roundabouts. And why is both blinker buttons on the left side? Id rather have the right blinker on the right side