TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New 21" Arachnid Wheel and Tire Package

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Kalud, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Kalud

Kalud Member

• Dislike x 1
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Well that's a surprise. Don't understand why Tesla would decide to offer a new 21" wheel style, and only available after you buy the car (it's not shown in the Design Studio).

The name "Arachnid" strikes me as odd: the wheel has five pairs of spokes, for a total of 10. All arachnids (spiders) have 8 legs.
    As to the aesthetics of the wheel, not to my taste.

3. Firewired

Firewired Member

Very cool that they are offering additional choices. Wonder if this is in response to the need for a more durable rim.

4. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Pilot Super Sports listed, not PS2

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

doesn't matter when the tires will still blow out on every pothole you hit.

6. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Looks like similar or the same fan blades as the turbine and cyclone wheels, just alternated differently. Does kind of look like insect legs/pinchers/antennae.

7. Noneduck

Noneduck Member

I think they look very sharp, and it is great to see more wheel options from Tesla. I bet this will be tempting for those lucky people who have received referral credits.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

from what i've seen posted by many here on TMC the whole referral credits was a lie (bait & switch) and you cannot use it to purchase any accessories and it only applies to service visits and a new car purchase.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I thought you could use it for accessories purchased in-store, but not online. So, if you had credits, you could go into the store and order floor mats or a rear center console with the referral credits. I would be looking for a rear console and CHAdeMO if I ever get credits (the two I actually referred took my advice and got OH referrals to save another $1k). So if someone has spare credits they want to burn, I can get some accessories at my local SvC and maybe ship it up you (and hope you'd share a trunk all weather mat or something lol).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm honestly surprised they didn't instead offer a 20" option and shared that with the X. I know many here have posted about aftermarket 20s. I would have thought they would develop an alternative 20" wheel for the X and offer it to S owners as well.

10. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

Reminds me of spiderman, especially with the red.

spiderman-logo.jpg

11. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I would bet it's for aerodynamic reasons.

12. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Heck, it would be nice to see 20 AND 19 inch options!

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

True, but at least a 20 inch option could be shared between both vehicles, helping Tesla with their desire to keep production and supply lines "simple".

14. Jool

Jool Member

Not bad, I prefer the look of thinner spokes but it's always good to have more options!

15. ecarfan

The announcement of the referral program states that if someone uses your referral code to buy a new S, "...you will get a $1,000 credit in your Tesla account, which can be applied to a future car purchase, service charge, or accessories".
    Seems pretty clear. Please point us to a post where someone whose referral code was used to purchase a new S and then they were unable to use their credit on Tesla accessories. I would like to know about that. Thanks.

16. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

As far as I know, the referral codes don't work for online purchases. (A separate company runs Tesla's web store, and isn't exposed to the referral credit info). You can just buy the same things at the service center to use your credits for accessories.

17. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

In the UK there is no online store for accessories at all.

People with credits have been told they can't be used for apparel but can be used for anything else (CHAdeMO, roof bars, covers, rubber floor mats etc).

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be amazed if those are more aerodynamic than the turbines.

18. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

So odd, these new wheels look like the ones on this used 60 from another thread in the marketplace; except those are grey.
    fe12c494df59ff163709e094d438f759.jpg

19. ecarfan

Agreed the new wheels look just like the same style as the S in that photo. Interesting...

20. travwill

travwill Member

I like them. Going to stick it out with 19"s through Winter and get some new 21"s next Summer - good to see another option to choose from :)