Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New battery charging tip from service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I have 4 profiles stored, me, wife, mother & Easy Entry. Wife, Easy Entry and my profile all show the exact same mileage estimates and my wife and I have the majority of the miles in the car. My mom probably has less than 50 driven miles.

Currently the little battery icon in the driver display shows 278 miles for me and the wife. When I switch to my moms profile, the energy usage pattern changes (in the energy app in main center console) and the estimated miles drops down to 223 in driver console...
That sure sounds like an interesting bug... The energy app shouldn't change with profiles. It is suppose to represent what the car has done in the past 5, 10, 15 miles. I'm curious what the SC will say when you show them this!

I just went out and checked mine...

I have 4 profiles, plus Easy Entry & Valet. The extra profiles are rarely used.

I checked the Rated, Ideal, & Projected miles. I checked the Percentage SOC, and I checked the energy graph.

They all stayed the same for me.

...Currently the little battery icon in the driver display shows 278 miles for me and the wife. When I switch to my moms profile, the energy usage pattern changes (in the energy app in main center console) and the estimated miles drops down to 223 in driver console...
Can you also check to see if the Percentage SOC changes as well?

Theoretically, the Rated Miles shouldn't change unless the Percentage SOC changes as well.

It's under Settings --> Display --> Energy Display --> [Energy]

I just took a vid and will post it or pics later.

I have 4 profiles stored, me, wife, mother & Easy Entry. Wife, Easy Entry and my profile all show the exact same mileage estimates and my wife and I have the majority of the miles in the car. My mom probably has less than 50 driven miles.

Currently the little battery icon in the driver display shows 278 miles for me and the wife. When I switch to my moms profile, the energy usage pattern changes (in the energy app in main center console) and the estimated miles drops down to 223 in driver console.

I'll post pics or vids later when I get a minute.
Is your mom from Pasadena, by any chance? ;)

The estimated range after charging... is an estimate. All range estimates are based on previous driving, so it could be really good range after a slow drive in the park, or quite a bit lower after doing 85 down the freeway. Or something like that. I recommend you don't worry about it.

Hahaha. Only eleven dislikes because you don't like what I said. Prove me wrong. I have personally seen 10 miles indicated range and driven sixteen at 25 - 30 mph, after coming off the freeway, and seen 30 miles indicated range and gotten more like 10 miles driving crazy up the mountain to my home. It's been based on driving data for years. PERCENTAGE will also vary, but not as much, depending on how you charge, but don't believe me. What do I know?

My S75RWD has been losing rated distance at a rate faster than expected, and it only started happening fairly recently. I'm down about 5-7% after 15,000 miles, which I know isn't totally out of the ordinary. But the odd thing, is that sometimes 90% will charge to 210 miles, other times it will charge to 218 miles or more. When I switch to percentage view, both show 90%. Additionally, sometimes, a full charge will stop at 235 miles, but I'll drive 3-4 miles and not lose a mile of range on the display.

I had my car in for a couple of other minor issues and they said the battery diagnostics checked out ok. But they shared a new theory, which I've started testing today.

They said that after driving, try not to charge the battery for 1-2 hours after I park. They said that will give the battery a chance to balance across cells and the system will have a more accurate read on SOC before charging. As I think about it, the times my car charged to a higher rated mileage was at home, where I have charging scheduled for 3AM. During the period of rapid range loss, I was charging almost exclusively at the office right after I arrive in the morning.

Has anyone else experienced this as an issue? I'll post my results after scheduling all charges for at least two hours after I stop driving to see what it does.

This should explain (some of) it:

Last edited:
I just took a vid and will post it or pics later.

I have 4 profiles stored, me, wife, mother & Easy Entry. Wife, Easy Entry and my profile all show the exact same mileage estimates and my wife and I have the majority of the miles in the car. My mom probably has less than 50 driven miles.

Currently the little battery icon in the driver display shows 278 miles for me and the wife. When I switch to my moms profile, the energy usage pattern changes (in the energy app in main center console) and the estimated miles drops down to 223 in driver console.

I'll post pics or vids later when I get a minute.
Did you check if each profile is using "Rated Range" or "Ideal Range?"

Click the car icon on the bottom left, click display. Check under each profile

Display remaining energy and charging units as either a percentage of battery energy remaining, or as an estimate of the distance that you can drive. When you choose distance you can specify:
• Rated - based on EPA testing.
• Ideal - assumes ideal driving conditions based on driving at a steady speed of 55 mph (89 km/h) on a flat road, and using no additional energy (seat heaters, air conditioning, etc.)

You can also check that this setting is saved by:
To see what settings are associated with a driver profile, touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Then touch See what’s saved. A popup window lists all the settings that are saved to driver profiles. The settings that are associated with driver profiles may vary depending on the version of software currently installed on your Model S.

Reactions: JohnnyG
All range estimates are based on previous driving, so it could be really good range after a slow drive in the park, or quite a bit lower after doing 85 down the freeway.
I have personally seen 10 miles indicated range and driven sixteen at 25 - 30 mph, after coming off the freeway, and seen 30 miles indicated range and gotten more like 10 miles driving crazy up the mountain to my home.
That's not how science works, you do realize you haven't proven your point, right? No matter how many times you state your false hypothesis with authority, it won't make it anymore correct.

In order to prove your point you'd need to drive conservatively, and then watch the "range estimate" go up next time you charge to 90% (which it won't). Or "driving crazy" and watch the range estimate go down after you charge to 90% next time (which it won't). That's not shown in the example above.

You just said by driving slowly you can get further than the car estimates at a given SOC (true) and by driving aggressively you can travel less than the car estimates at that given SOC (true). But that doesn't correlate to the rated range that's shown on the dash for the NEXT drive at any given SOC.

Maybe but I've never tried driving around in the Easy Entry Profile. Have you tried?

It shouldn't be that hard to test and I don't know why this is so hard to believe.

It's hard to believe because it has been repeated ad-nausea with all evidence to the contrary. The "rated range" has nothing to with driving style, it's a constant (unlike an ICE car which looks at the last 5 - 10 miles to estimate). This theory is even easier to test:

All you need to do is drive 5 miles with your foot literally flat to the floor every time you accelerate and check your estimated range. It will obviously have dropped by more than 5 miles. Then drive 5 miles back like grandma.

In an ICE car, the estimated range will decrease significantly after the first run - say from 300 miles to 250 miles. After the second run, it will probably go higher, maybe as high as 290 miles.

In the Tesla, after the first run it will decrease by say 12 miles. But after the return trip, it will STILL decrease, but this time by closer to 5 miles, You can do this even more easily by looking at the energy consumption graph which shows rated range Vs estimated range.

Having said all of that - I will create a new profile, go out and burn a few Kilowatts (all in the name of science) and see if this makes any difference.

Did you check if each profile is using "Rated Range" or "Ideal Range?"

Click the car icon on the bottom left, click display. Check under each profile

Display remaining energy and charging units as either a percentage of battery energy remaining, or as an estimate of the distance that you can drive. When you choose distance you can specify:
• Rated - based on EPA testing.
• Ideal - assumes ideal driving conditions based on driving at a steady speed of 55 mph (89 km/h) on a flat road, and using no additional energy (seat heaters, air conditioning, etc.)

You can also check that this setting is saved by:
To see what settings are associated with a driver profile, touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Then touch See what’s saved. A popup window lists all the settings that are saved to driver profiles. The settings that are associated with driver profiles may vary depending on the version of software currently installed on your Model S.
@djlott here ya go, with photos. Also, the profile saves the settings.

20181207_154251.jpg

And where you can test it out:

20181207_154314.jpg

Hahaha. Only eleven dislikes because you don't like what I said. Prove me wrong. I have personally seen 10 miles indicated range and driven sixteen at 25 - 30 mph, after coming off the freeway, and seen 30 miles indicated range and gotten more like 10 miles driving crazy up the mountain to my home.

This has literally nothing to do with your original assertion.

OK time for me to clear up some drama with my 4 profile, battery rating post above.

It looks like @Tslrsx really had the answer early on, as I'm sure others did. Sorry it took me a bit to get out to the car and sort this out. After looking at the video I took this morning, I realized that there was no reason to post as my mom's profile was set to "ideal" vs. "rated". I didn't realize that this would change the rated distance on the battery icon but it indeed does as folks mentioned above.

I'm actually glad to see this resolved. I never cared to look into this before but it was one of those things on the back of my mind for the last 9 months.

Hahaha. Only eleven dislikes because you don't like what I said. Prove me wrong. I have personally seen 10 miles indicated range and driven sixteen at 25 - 30 mph, after coming off the freeway, and seen 30 miles indicated range and gotten more like 10 miles driving crazy up the mountain to my home. It's been based on driving data for years. PERCENTAGE will also vary, but not as much, depending on how you charge, but don't believe me. What do I know?
Of course you get more miles than rated range when you drive 25-30 mph. That uses less Wh/mi than the driving the EPA test cycle. In fact the distance record for driving a Model S in with one charge was set driving at 22 mph, I think. And likewise of course you get less than rated range when driving uphill! That uses more energy than driving the level ground EPA test cycle. How do you think these anecdotes prove your mistaken belief that the battery meter reflects past driving?

Last edited:
The advice given to the OP is wrong on multiple levels. First we know that the BMS balances at 93% or more.

Second, the advice given to the OP would result in the battery sitting at higher average temperatures for longer because the battery is allowed to cool down after being driven and then heated back up again for charging, and then allowed to cool down again. The battery will have a lower average temperature if you charge at the end of your driving session or right before you start driving. Charging right before you drive is better than right after because you warm the battery up for use and it's more efficient if it's already warm.

Charging after you drive is only worse in that the battery will now sit at higher SOCs so if you charge to say 90%, that's worse for the battery to sit at 90% for a long time rather than timing it so it hits 90% right before you leave.