Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Brunswick charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an eleventh DCFC planned for NB, outside of the ten NB Power ones. It is at the CF Champlain mall in Dieppe near Moncton.
CADILLAC FAIRVIEW TO LAUNCH NATIONAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING PROGRAM

However, I don't think it will be ready anytime soon and they've not yet responded to my request for a time-line.

This is new to me and is actually very good news. Another instance of the momentum picking up for more chargers in places where people can use them. Corporations are realizing that though small in number now, the ev revolution is picking up steam and if they do not provide charging facilities then they will be losing a small but significant, and most importantly, a rapidly growing, cohort of customers. All things being equal, ev drivers will tend towards those spots with chargers, be them shopping centres or hotels/ motels.

So once again since I travel early in the summer I will miss any benefit from new chargers being built in the current year. But people, the longer term is looking better and better. In a few years we will see level two's on every commercial street in this country.

Reactions: Jaff
"We have some announcements on specifics of that, including locations coming early July. Stay tuned!

To be honest, I don't fully understand the response they gave me, either.
Which is coming early July, live locations or their announcement of sites that will come later?

There are relatively few EV-aware people in NB, so there easily could be lots of construction going on without anyone noticing. Even in EV-rich BC the Nanaimo Supercharger site wasn't discovered until work was well in progress.

There is an eleventh DCFC planned for NB, outside of the ten NB Power ones. It is at the CF Champlain mall in Dieppe near Moncton.
CADILLAC FAIRVIEW TO LAUNCH NATIONAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING PROGRAM

However, I don't think it will be ready anytime soon and they've not yet responded to my request for a time-line.

1. I did indeed misread your post. I see now that NB Power said live stations END of July, and probably they meant news on locations in early July. That is a little more believable if no one has noticed construction yet. They might still be "just about to" start construction.

More likely, though, I suspect this is yet another government bullshit promise full of "gee look at us pretending to be cutting edge" photo ops and sound bites with little actual understanding by those in charge of what they are actually doing. IOW, I'll believe it when I see it, and I'm going to hold off on buying my CHAdeMO adapter. I might not need it this year after all.

2. I missed that Moncton (or, rather, Dieppe) was in the CF list in their announcement. My office is beside the Eaton Centre in Toronto and I popped in to ask them about their DC chargers and they said no news yet on when it's coming.

Good for CF for being forward thinking.

Although, to be honest, I think DC fast charging in a mall setting is not a good fit. I think most people will be at the mall longer than a DC fast charge, and the artificial need to get back to the parking lot in 30 minutes or else be blocking someone else from charging will be a broken charging model. But that's just me.

Level 2 charging at malls seems much more sensible to me. Malls are not glorified gas stations.

In any event, a DC station in Moncton doesn't help me at all. It's still slightly too far to get to from Bangor on a full charge at highway speeds for me (75D), and my mother is in Moncton (and putting in a 50a charger in her house for me).

I am guessing that one of the reasons that these units are going in is a form of greenwashing. For Office buildings, and maybe for malls, there is something called LEED certification. You may see a LEED plaque at the entrance to buildings. Having EV chargers gets you points that can improve your LEED status - and this is something that (some) tenants value, so you can argue that it allows you to charge a slightly higher rent. I would guess that this is why some buildings put in as little as they can get away with - they probably don't get more points for having more chargers or L3 vs L2. For example the North American Centre at Yonge and Finch in North York has two 30A L2 chargers hidden away on their P5 level. If you want to use them during weekdays you need to sign up for a two hour window. Unless you drive something like a Leaf and you need to charge to get home it is hardly worth your while to have to go down in the middle of the day, at least once and maybe twice, to move your car.

Good for CF for being forward thinking.

Although, to be honest, I think DC fast charging in a mall setting is not a good fit. I think most people will be at the mall longer than a DC fast charge, and the artificial need to get back to the parking lot in 30 minutes or else be blocking someone else from charging will be a broken charging model. But that's just me.

Level 2 charging at malls seems much more sensible to me. Malls are not glorified gas stations.
Actually I think that they are putting in 2 level two chargers and one DC fast charger. I think they should be more forward thinking and put maybe 6 or 10 level 2's for a rapidly expanding ev community but I think a DC fast charger is reasonable also. There are two types of shoppers, so there should be two types of chargers: the browsers (level 2 chargers) and the quick in and out shoppers like I tend to be, that know exactly what they want, find the store and get the heck out of the place as fast as they can (DC chargers)

I think L2 chargers are fine for shopping centre parking lots, but please if you're going to bother going to the trouble of accepting credit cards please at least give me the BIG AMPS. 48 or more. No more of this 30 or less nonsense. Bill me accordingly.
Yes. I agree. Even though my second car is a Volt that cannot use its full rate I put in a 40 amp charger to complement my 100 amp Tesla charger. You want to always plan for future increased needs, even at home.

Reactions: rypalmer
I got a call back from NB Power yesterday.

Interesting tidbits:

1. NB Power has all the DC fast charging hardware ready to be put in the ground, all the engineering is done, etc.

2. They are only waiting on finalization of leases for the land to put them on.

3. They will make an announcement on July 7 that will reveal where the stations will be.

4. All 10 DC fast stations will be operational by the end of July this year.

5. They are keen on EV's because the president (or CEO?) of NB Power has an EV and is a bit of an evangelist.

The person who called was unequivocal. There were no "mights" or "maybes". She gave the dates above and said it's a done deal, they are just waiting on final signatures on leases.

Interesting tidbits:

1. NB Power has all the DC fast charging hardware ready to be put in the ground, all the engineering is done, etc.

3. They will make an announcement on July 7 that will reveal where the stations will be.

5. They are keen on EV's because the president (or CEO?) of NB Power has an EV and is a bit of an evangelist.

The person who called was unequivocal. There were no "mights" or "maybes". She gave the dates above and said it's a done deal, they are just waiting on final signatures on leases.
I am very encouraged by this because a) they actually phoned you back (holy crap!!!), b) the call was very specific in its information, no vagueness! This is good!

I am very encouraged by this because a) they actually phoned you back (holy crap!!!), b) the call was very specific in its information, no vagueness! This is good!

Agreed. They asked me to leave a phone # when I called and I offered my email address too, in case that was easier. But instead of a vague canned PR reply, I got a phone call. It does indeed suggest they are serious about this.

Interesting tidbits:

WOW. Now we're talking!! That's inspiring.

Seems like one of the L3 station made its way to Plugshare. I am not sure if the station is actually there right now or if the owner put it up in advance.

eCharge network: 50 kW Level 3, 7.2 kW Level 2. This will be part of the 10 L3 stations to be announced by NB Power soon.

Attachments

• NB L3.png
    NB L3.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: RiverBrick
Seems like one of the L3 station made its way to Plugshare...

I notice it is at an Irving "Big Stop." Are those owned by corporate or by franchisees? Maybe it's part of a larger agreement with other Big Stop locations.

Based on their IRVING 24 Locations map, If I lived nearby, I would check these Big Stops:

Grand Falls I24 (St.-André)
Woodstock I24 (Beardsley)
Salisbury
Aulac

I notice it is at an Irving "Big Stop." Are those owned by corporate or by franchisees? Maybe it's part of a larger agreement with other Big Stop locations.

Based on their IRVING 24 Locations map, If I lived nearby, I would check these Big Stops:

Grand Falls I24 (St.-André)
Woodstock I24 (Beardsley)
Salisbury
Aulac

It says it's on the eCharge Network which is the newly announced NB Power Network.

The Salisbury in Irving appears to be installing a L3 Station too, although when I passed there this morning they were still early on in the construction process.

Reactions: rypalmer