Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New buyer (Model 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm in Merseyside UK. I have just had an operation to repair my rotator cuff tendons and so won't be driving for a while (or doing much else). So I sold my Macan on Autotrader (got a great price) plan A being to order something new for 1st March 2022. I had a test drive in a Model 3. Loved the drive not so much the car which is a bit 'vanilla'. By the bye the wife likes it and so I am looking to order one.

Question: What should I do not do i.e. I know I can't get a discount but could I get them to throw in e.g. a charger

Hi, I'm in Merseyside UK. I have just had an operation to repair my rotator cuff tendons and so won't be driving for a while (or doing much else). So I sold my Macan on Autotrader (got a great price) plan A being to order something new for 1st March 2022. I had a test drive in a Model 3. Loved the drive not so much the car which is a bit 'vanilla'. By the bye the wife likes it and so I am looking to order one.

Question: What should I do not do i.e. I know I can't get a discount but could I get them to throw in e.g. a charger
Order as quick as you can & you get the lower price of order price & new price when delivered.

Worldwide shortage of Teslas, you can check other threads for delivery times/delays.

For me, the only reason I wouldn't order a 3 is in case a Y might come out in UK. If you want a 3, you'll probably have a while to wait depending on model. Tesla delivery dates might be optimistic in general, but things change a lot. Getting an inventory car in Dec, Mar, Jun, Sep might be possible

You might get something small if you get sold a lemon or suffer a dreadful experience, but I would rather have a good experience than a free umbrella.

Basically, Tesla have no need to offer any incentive. They only recently removed their only incentive which was a hundred quid or so of supercharging that had to be used with 6 months.

If you want a small discount, look at the inventory cars, but you are never 100% sure what you will be getting - some will be rejects, some over stock, some both.

surely they honour the order price? Is that what you’re saying or not?

so long as you do not amend the order or there is a price increase outside Tesla's control such as reduction in grant or tax change. In addition, they have historically honoured price reductions, but by repricing the whole order which may mean that some individual items may go up even if the total order price decreases.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Not sure I follow. If I order a M3LR now at today’s price on the website then If Tesla up prices in between order and delivery surely they honour the order price? Is that what you’re saying or not?
I ordered at X price

Tesla reduced price to Y

I paid Y

If Tesla had raised price to Z, I would have paid X

No idea where Tesla prices in GBP are heading. They've gone up in USD over the year & recently. Tesla have lots of demand, chips & materials are up. China make lots (all?) UK cars, so scope to make cheaper. You get the SMALLER price of the 2 unless you change spec.

Anyway, not much point haggling with Tesla as they are supply, not demand limited at the moment (and next few years in my opinion). Also, they're not dealerships trying to flog you waxed seats & zimmerit anti-rust treatments for underbodies (or whatever they try to do to bump up the price).

Tesla is straight-forward. Choose car model (effectively only 3 in UK at the moment, AFAIK), spec (SR+, LR or Performance) and colour (free white, for now). No haggling unless it's a demo or inventory just before quarter close (others might know better).

I'm biased, but I like the Long Range by the way. SR+ would be fine for me, but I like the extra range. Performance would worry me too much with the potholes I see. Having some extra rubber to absorb the bumps helps range, survive potholes, more comfort for passengers. I also think that the Performance brakes are best left to the track, but haven't direct experience.

Whichever one you get, I hope (and expect) you'll love it. Get well soon.

Not to take this thread off rails but I’ve been now hovering over the buy button on a M3LR deep blue/ white interior/ 19” sports wheels now for two weeks. Reason, bullshit around the model Y imminently being available (or not). Bit sick of it now. Going to take the plunge and just bloody get on with it.

Not to take this thread off rails but I’ve been now hovering over the buy button on a M3LR deep blue/ white interior/ 19” sports wheels now for two weeks. Reason, bullshit around the model Y imminently being available (or not). Bit sick of it now. Going to take the plunge and just bloody get on with it.
Worst case lost £100? Might be able to transfer order to Y - especially as it should be higher price, so better for Tesla.

Not advice, but personally would order 3 and/or Y (available to order yet?) and not worry about a lost £100 (but argue for a transfer)

Worst case lost £100? Might be able to transfer order to Y - especially as it should be higher price, so better for Tesla.

Not advice, but personally would order 3 and/or Y (available to order yet?) and not worry about a lost £100 (but argue for a transfer)

Yes I’m going for it. Will allow me to crack on with the Scottish government interest free loan too.

• Love
Thanks for the info . . ..
The basic M3 is just under £50k . . . does that qualify for any government grant?
If it does and I add met paint and the 19" wheels (over £50k) does that then disqualify it for any grant?

Although prices have gone up in some markets, Musk on the shareholders call last night said prices will be coming down Musk is far from the most accurate on these predictions though.

Only the UK has a shortage of cars, go to Europe and they have new inventory available straight away, if I was Tesla I’d be upping the allocation to the UK this quarter.

Last year by far the best time to buy was the end of Dec. They don’t discount, but last year deliveries between Christmas and new year all got 12 months free supercharging and a 3 month free trial of FSD. If you’re in no hurry and can move quickly if needed, I’d sit tight and wait to see what comes up. There may be no deals, but that’s when they’ll happen if they do.

I joined this forum, as I hade done with forums for my previous cars, to ensure I 'get it right'. I am forming the view that unlike my previous cars, because there is little to no choice with Tesla there is no getting it right or wrong - is that correct?

One of the features of this Model 3 when it comes that will have to go is that wood trim. I am presuming that some enterprising person in China has come up with some form of stick on strip in black?