Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car issue with Nav & charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife & I picked up our new MS today and I was happy everything looked great from a fit & finish standpoint.

However going home, we plugged in our home address and tried out the Nav. The Nav directed us, but we noticed the map on the large screen had its pointer frozen, yet the smaller map in the instrument cluster was fine. When I got home, Tesla had me reboot the main screen as well as the car (when the main screen reboot didn't work). Unfortunately neither approach worked and the pointer remains frozen at the Tesla dealer's location.

The interesting thing is that the correct street name shows at the bottom of the large center screen, yet the pointer is frozen at the original pickup location.

Tesla indicates my car is successfully picking up the required number of satellites. Anyone else with this issue?

My 2nd issue is that I can charge for about 5 minutes on the new NEMA 14-50 outlet that was installed a couple of weeks ago. After about 5 minutes, the breaker trips and the car indicates power was lost. I'm assuming something is not right with the NEMA 14-50 installation.

My wife & I picked up our new MS today and I was happy everything looked great from a fit & finish standpoint.

However going home, we plugged in our home address and tried out the Nav. The Nav directed us, but we noticed the map on the large screen had its pointer frozen, yet the smaller map in the instrument cluster was fine. When I got home, Tesla had me reboot the main screen as well as the car (when the main screen reboot didn't work). Unfortunately neither approach worked and the pointer remains frozen at the Tesla dealer's location.

The interesting thing is that the correct street name shows at the bottom of the large center screen, yet the pointer is frozen at the original pickup location.

Tesla indicates my car is successfully picking up the required number of satellites. Anyone else with this issue?

My 2nd issue is that I can charge for about 5 minutes on the new NEMA 14-50 outlet that was installed a couple of weeks ago. After about 5 minutes, the breaker trips and the car indicates power was lost. I'm assuming something is not right with the NEMA 14-50 installation.
Don't know about your first problem, but your assumption on the second is correct. Look at where the charge setting is on the charging screen. Try dialing back the amps from 40 to 30 and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, reduce further. If reducing the charge amps works, get your electrician back out because there is something wrong with the installation, such as a breaker that is too small or inadequate wire size.

Reactions: boaterva and Ken7
Stan, yes, did that several times. That pointer just doesn't want to move from the Tesla showroom. I hope the car doesn't miss being there!

It's so weird that the street name on the bottom is correct and the smaller nav screen on the cluster is fine.

I did my 14-50 install myself (inspected by the county and approved). There are a bunch of factors that could cause a trip. The most likely is that your electrician probably heard or read 40 amps and put a 40 amp breaker in. You MUST use a 50 amp breaker. No more no less. Other main causes could be a loose ground in the box/plug or a loose white/black wire. The electrician also has to use at a minimum 6/2 (6 gauge for the two hot wires) Romex. This is not the same as most 14-50 plugs. Most are used for RVs that need both 120v and 240v power, therefore requiring a neutral wire. 6/2 is extraordinarily hard to find and expensive. These are just a few reasons it could be tripping but it SHOULDN'T. Do NOT use the plug until it is fixed.

I did my 14-50 install myself (inspected by the county and approved). There are a bunch of factors that could cause a trip. The most likely is that your electrician probably heard or read 40 amps and put a 40 amp breaker in. You MUST use a 50 amp breaker. No more no less. Other main causes could be a loose ground in the box/plug or a loose white/black wire. The electrician also has to use at a minimum 6/2 (6 gauge for the two hot wires) Romex. This is not the same as most 14-50 plugs. Most are used for RVs that need both 120v and 240v power, therefore requiring a neutral wire. 6/2 is extraordinarily hard to find and expensive. These are just a few reasons it could be tripping but it SHOULDN'T. Do NOT use the plug until it is fixed.
My electrician texted me tonight and said it could be a voltage drop caused by the 100’ run from my box to the garage. He said it was an easy fix and he’d take care of it. In the interim, dropping the amps to 30 gave me a charge rate of about 21/mph without a trip.

Here ya go sublimejackman. The outlet is a standard NEMA 14-50. I don't have a multimeter.

IMG_0707.jpg

I should also note, relating to my first issue, the Nav has straightened itself out and is now showing my proper location! So I'm glad to see that issue is done, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Extremely happy with the condition the car was delivered in. Fit & finished were excellent and the delivery experience in N.Y. was great.

Reactions: jjh1234
Why is the breaker scratched out? It looks like it's as old as the rest of the breakers. Also the model model number on the breaker gives it away as being a 30amp(CR230) opposed to the required 50amp(CR250). I would call a DIFFERENT electrician to come and fix this. Also confirm that 6 gauge wire was run not something else. This is very sketchy work.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7 and VT_EE
Thanks sublimejackman, I was never certain what the amperage of that breaker was, but your info settles that. I'm assuming the fact that it's paired, doesn't double the amperage. IOW, 30x2? Very disappointed in that this was a 'recommended' electrician on the Tesla website!