Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car need bodyshop repair .. depreciation ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My not yet delivered model X needs bodyshop repair with a new panel. I have not seen the car yet and i'm still waiting after two weeks for the part. Is there any depreciation to the car value because of this repair ?

It won't show up on carfax, so unless they do a crappy job (less than brand new) or you bring it up.... no.

After-factory paint spray can be detected if they had to blend in the paint. So if the OP plans on trading it in vs private sale, most dealerships have the equipment to detect that. After-factory welds can be detected as well, if the panel had to be welded to be replaced.

(I just went through this with a car with a clean Car Fax car that had body damage repaired by a manufacturer-branded body shop. It was detected and I took a hit)

My car was damaged before delivery. I was told the entire left rear panel would be replaced, no blending or welding. Maybe they were full of crap, but no way I can tell looking at it, and I doubt anyone else will either. From
What I was told, Tesla doesn't perform such a detailed inspection before trade in, and not many private parties would. How exactly did you take a hit? Did the buyer already know about the damage somehow? Was it even a Tesla?

Luckily in my case its a lease so doesn't really matter, but you make me wonder if I could use that as leverage if I decide to buy it... doubt it tho.

What I was told, Tesla doesn't perform such a detailed inspection before trade in, and not many private parties would. How exactly did you take a hit? Did the buyer already know about the damage somehow? Was it even a Tesla?

It wasn't a Tesla it was what I traded in for the Tesla. Carmax can definitely detect after factory body work (they flagged both the paint and welds - I did not disclose beforehand and my bodyshop didnt tell me they welded the replacement bumper so I didn't know). I took a hit in the trade in value since the car was considered repaired. I would have had to sell private party and I didnt want to do that.

I have also had regular dealers detect paint spray upon trade in. Thats a relatively simple tool that reads paint thicknesses and lots of dealers have those.

Private party wouldn't have detected anything, but I don't normally sell cars that way. So if you trade in cars, its a risk. If you normally sell private party, no worries.

• Informative
Reactions: livingthedream
It wasn't a Tesla it was what I traded in for the Tesla. Carmax can definitely detect after factory body work (they flagged both the paint and welds - I did not disclose beforehand and my bodyshop didnt tell me they welded the replacement bumper so I didn't know). I took a hit in the trade in value since the car was considered repaired. I would have had to sell private party and I didnt want to do that.

I have also had regular dealers detect paint spray upon trade in. Thats a relatively simple tool that reads paint thicknesses and lots of dealers have those.

Private party wouldn't have detected anything, but I don't normally sell cars that way. So if you trade in cars, its a risk. If you normally sell private party, no worries.

Car Max once blamed for having my trunk replaced in a car that never had an accident thus I chose not to trade in with them. Would they call the panel misalignments on the Model X the result of an accident?

Factory usually will replace the entire panel on a new car. Should cause no depreciation.

Not sure if those paint thickness devices work on an aluminum panel.

We used to run a magnetic piece over cars a long time ago. The magnet would register on the steel body, but show up where bondo or lead fillings were used.

Corporate used car buyers are getting very sophisticated, as are auto auctions.

New Factory usually will replace the entire panel on a new car. Should cause no depreciation.

I think once the cars are out at the delivery locations they are repaired using a regular body shop. I am assuming the OP bought an inventory car and it's not going back to the factory for the repair. If they replaced a panel on the production line I doubt they would even report that.