Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New compact tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Tesla investor day, there is a lot of speculation about the compact tesla that's going to build in Mexico and elsewhere. The 'model 2'.
Probably designed for developing countries where 3 and Y are too expensive. Eg. China, South America, Asia, etc

Everyone thinks it will be a hatch version of the model 3, but I have a feeling it will be a hatch, but exo-skeleton like the cybertruck.

Cybertruck is designed to be cheaper to make (no stamping panels, no paint shop) so makes sense to me that if are building a cheap small tough Tesla, that's the way to go.

They are probably waiting to get cybertruck production right before announcing it.

Tesla has invested heavilly in super-press tech - so they can stamp larger structural panels easier - and the target market for the cybertruck is not the same market as the shopping hatchback.

if anything it would be a lexus c200 type competitor - probably fwd so larger boot area two doors.

I'd suggest Tesla has no plans to sell cars into areas that don't have mega electricity grids -

After Tesla investor day, there is a lot of speculation about the compact tesla that's going to build in Mexico and elsewhere. The 'model 2'.
Probably designed for developing countries where 3 and Y are too expensive. Eg. China, South America, Asia, etc

Everyone thinks it will be a hatch version of the model 3, but I have a feeling it will be a hatch, but exo-skeleton like the cybertruck.

Cybertruck is designed to be cheaper to make (no stamping panels, no paint shop) so makes sense to me that if are building a cheap small tough Tesla, that's the way to go.

They are probably waiting to get cybertruck production right before announcing it.
A hatch version of the model 3 will never reach the price target. It needs to be smaller and smarter manufacture

1678070401973.jpeg

Tesla has invested heavilly in super-press tech - so they can stamp larger structural panels easier - and the target market for the cybertruck is not the same market as the shopping hatchback.

if anything it would be a lexus c200 type competitor - probably fwd so larger boot area two doors.
Its also hard to imagine that the cybertruck exo-skeleton will end up being a dead-end technology only for one use-case.
Like the 'truck' market, I think the low-end cheapy car market is also open to this kind of innovation. The 'luxury/family' market will need traditional body stamped panels for some time yet.

My wife would buy a little smaller hatchback version of the Model 3 in a heartbeat. 5 doors or 3 doors doesn't make a difference, she wants a smaller car, lower price, and likes hatchbacks. This car can't come fast enough. If is resembles the Cyber trunk she would not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

As far as the Cybertruck, I realize they have a million pre-orders but I wonder how many will actually end up as sales once the truck is released and more info and prices are known. And I'm not so sure the exo-skeleton is really the final design of the truck. It looks like a ladder frame under the body. Maybe the exterior panels carry some load. But it looks like part of the truck is body on frame construction.

Reactions: Ron_M3
As far as the Cybertruck, I realize they have a million pre-orders but I wonder how many will actually end up as sales once the truck is released and more info and prices are known.

A reservation is not the same as a “pre-order” so time will tell how many get sold, assuming production actually starts and it is declared road-legal outside of Texas.

What I find ironic is the Tesla fanbase used to mercilessly mock the “weirdmobiles” from other manufacturers in the early days of BEVs. The level of scorn and contempt expressed in the old Tesla company forums for unconventional looking EVs was something to behold. The Gen 1 Nissan LEAF in particular came in for industrial-level disdain.

But when Tesla revealed its own weirdmobile in the form of Cybertruck, all such concerns miraculously disappeared overnight. Incredible isn’t it 🤷‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: Ron_M3
how many will actually end up as sales once the truck is released and more info and prices are known.
Obviously will be price dependent. But its a big gap to Rivian starting at US$78k.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla learns from it's US Ys which sell well despite not having a RWD version, and only produces the more expensive models initially.

At the 2019 launch the only pricing they have was $40k for a single motor CT the same price as a 3SR+ at the time (now $43k)

maybe they will do something radical given the size of the tesla charger network. You buy the car but are forced to fill at tesla sites only, with the cost per kwh covering your electrons and the cost of your battery. Removing the battery makes the car very low cost. Kind of battery by subscription

Wasn't that the Y?
My understand is that it is all cars. Its a build method that removes humans, and avoids duplications.
Its a great theory but when you think of all things that cannot be segmented then its starts to display either some serious compromises or clever solutions. It seems a bit like modular buildings. Supposedly cheap to build but they look modular and are very compromised.