Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Corded Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may be thinking of the term "nominal". But I'm still not sure why someone would add a plug to a HPWC rather than just using a UMC.
It's a measure for reliability/redundancy. Let's say you have the HPWC hardwired in, and it blows something on the main circuit board inside or the charging handle on it breaks/fries. What is your backup charging plan? You don't really have access to use that circuit now. However, if it is on a plug, and it breaks, you just unplug it, get the UMC out of your trunk, put that in the outlet and happily charge, while you arrange for getting the HPWC fixed/replaced. @mikeash just didn't understand your question.

If I was looking for a solution for home charging, I think it would be much better to purchase an HPWC, have it installed where my 14-50 is now installed, and set it to 40 amps. A cleaner install (no hanging bulky interface module), and I am ready for a future power upgrade if I go above a 50 amp circuit, since I would already have paid for the HPWC.

Removing the 14-50 receptacle and replacing with the HPWC should be low cost, since the wiring, circuit breaker, etc. are already all in place (assuming it can use the existing wiring when set to 40 amps).

The single drawback I see is that I no longer would have a mobile cord. But, one comes with the car. So...

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Basically, yes, but those are hand made from commercially available screw-together parts so they are expensive. They also don't have any thermal sensing. Do they even indicate the available current of the corresponding plug?

Everything for the Roadster is more expensive!

And yes, they do indicate the available current, and automatically set the (very large and expensive) UMC accordingly.

• Informative
As Tesla moves more mainstream with the Model 3 they're going to need to appeal to the plug-and-play mindset of the more typical consumer. I think this is aimed at the people who have installed a 14-50 outlet at home but also want a dedicated charger so that they can keep their UMC in the car all the time. This is a fast and easy alternative to adding an HPWC.
How is this any easier than a HPWC? Nobody has a 14-50 outlet in their home. If they aren't doing it themselves they're calling an electrician. The cost difference in installing a HPWC on a 50A circuit and this thing are non-existant.

• Love
How is this any easier than a HPWC? Nobody has a 14-50 outlet in their home. If they aren't doing it themselves they're calling an electrician. The cost difference in installing a HPWC on a 50A circuit and this thing are non-existant.
I think it avoids the "EV premium" that electricians might charge. Installing a 14-50 is relatively cheap, but once someone sees you are installing an EVSE, they charge more money. That's probably why a lot of EVSE come in the 14-50 option instead of being hardwired.

I think it's aimed at people who already have a 14-50 and now want a dedicated charger for the garage so that they can keep the UMC in their car.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Oh, I figured the writing was on the wall for this with their discontinuing of official adapters. Tesla is trying to suck people in with a less capable product at a lower price. The new wall connector was an improvement, but this isn't. Hmm, they conveniently do not say what current level it will supply. I wonder if this is how they get people onto 32A instead of 40A from the UMCs, as they were doing in Canada.

They still have this:
Tesla — Mobile Connector Bundle

I think (and hope) that Tesla will continue to support 120 V connections and other types as well. Especially for 120 V, this is a requirement if you need to charge in an area that only has a 120 V outlet.

They still have this:
Tesla — Mobile Connector Bundle

I think (and hope) that Tesla will continue to support 120 V connectors and possibly other connection types as well. It just makes sense and is a requirement if you go to an area that only has a 120 V outlet and you need to charge.

I still get at least 50% of my kWh from 120. The car isn't doing anything for 8,9,10 hours a day while I'm at work, might as well plug in for free. That's over 200 miles of free ranger per week. If I had a Model 3 it would probably becomes 100%. Eliminating 120 would be dumb.

Install both a NEMA 14-50 and HPWC ... problem solved.

img_3843-jpg.93204

I think it would be a huge mistake to discontinue the 5-15 plug. Yeah, L1 charging is horribly slow and it sucks compared to L2. But it's awesome compared to not charging at all, and 5-15 outlets are about a million times more common.

Agree with this. EG had my driveway redone in December. I ended up having to park my car in my neighbors drive for 1 week while the cement hardened. Couldn't reach my HPWC in the garage. Neighbors had a low power 110 V plug in their driveway, which they intended for Christmas lights. I did get about 1.5 miles/hour charging off of it. If I had this new MC, I would have had to leave it at Whole Foods or make a separate trip to the Nissan dealerships.

How long has that page had the following quote?
Please note that the connectors sold through our online store are for the Tesla Roadster. Model S charging options will be released at a later date.
Guess that date already came and went?

Have to agree that this simplified configuration makes sense for the way many people (myself included) use the UMC at home, semi-permanently plugged into a 14-50 outlet for nightly charging, with the car dialed back under 40 amps to avoid heat issues... except it removes the flexibility to ever use any other type of receptacle (at least, without some kind of adapter that isn't being provided.)

And I just noticed that at some point, "Universal" was dropped from the name of the Mobile Connector. That does seem to indicate the direction we're headed.

This quote was interesting:
Due to an increase in fraudulent orders, all Mobile Connector Bundle orders from Canada must be verified prior to shipping.
Does this mean Canadian owners did not appreciate discovering a (perceived or actual) 32-amp limit on their MCs, and were ordering the US version instead?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Install both a NEMA 14-50 and HPWC ... problem solved]

I wanted to keep my NEMA 14-50 unchanged (although I like your solution).
I wanted a devoted charger (go wall!), but: move the wall connector in about a 2 years when a new Tesla shows up.
So: here's my version 2.0 "semi-mobile" wall connector with UL listed NEMA 14-50 plug.
With hindsight ... it really would have been easier to hard wire, then move it and hard wire again ...

IMG_5049.jpg

Reactions: jvonbokel
Well done!

I wanted to keep my NEMA 14-50 unchanged (although I like your solution).
I wanted a devoted charger (go wall!), but: move the wall connector in about a 2 years when a new Tesla shows up.
So: here's my version 2.0 "semi-mobile" wall connector with UL listed NEMA 14-50 plug.
With hindsight ... it really would have been easier to hard wire, then move it and hard wire again ...

View attachment 178541

If the breaker is not within view of the HPWC, you may need to also add a emergency disconnect switch. With a 14-50 outlet, no switch is necessary, since anything using the outlet can be unplugged if something goes wrong.

For as permitting, a 14-50 is much simpler and cheaper in some areas than for a hardwired EVSE.

Also, 14-50 outlets can be used for other chargers if, heaven forbid, your next EV is not a Tesla.

If the breaker is not within view of the HPWC, you may need to also add a emergency disconnect switch. With a 14-50 outlet, no switch is necessary, since anything using the outlet can be unplugged if something goes wrong.

For as permitting, a 14-50 is much simpler and cheaper in some areas than for a hardwired EVSE.

Also, 14-50 outlets can be used for other chargers if, heaven forbid, your next EV is not a Tesla.
In most jurisdictions in the US, you only need a disconnect if the appliance is over 60A or over 120V above ground. A HPWC on a 50A breaker is neither.

I will probably buy one of these. This one will just stay with the 14-50 in the garage while the provided one will travel with me. I think they're right in doing this. Having an adapter introduces loss and heats up (a little). I always leave mine plugged in so I don't wear the connectors. Having a connector and an adapter exacerbates this.

I know that 120v or some 240 volt variant is all some people have but the 14-50 is the only supply I would consider--except for superchargers. I'll wrap up the adapter kit and keep it in the car and just use this for 'permanent' connection at home.

Also there's that advantage of the 'overhang' -- the original sticks out a little far. Easily bumped.