Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys! New to the forum (First post) and also just received delivery of my Model P3D! (first time buying a new car as well!)

I bet there are definitely a handful of Tesla owners who see issues with their paint job being unfinished or sloppy in areas like under the trunk, obscure area etc. when they first take delivery...

I took it back to service/delivery center for other fit and finish issues but they could not do anything with the paint or at least this one since this issue is considered "body work".

I still have no real complaints with Tesla because of the awesome car and what we're getting for the money. I am fully aware of the fit and finish qualities of these cars and they have done their best to make things right.

In this particular case, I wondering if I could just go to a body work place and just have them sand it off. Kind iffy doing so with a brand new car.

Attachments

• IMG_3720.JPG
    IMG_3720.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 330
Check out how it looks for my Sep 2019 AWD model 3.

Attachments

• 20190930_210143.jpg
    20190930_210143.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 295
  • 20191014_004628.jpg
    20191014_004628.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 20191014_004701.jpg
    20191014_004701.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 273
  • 20191014_004730.jpg
    20191014_004730.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 20190930_195910.jpg
    20190930_195910.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 287
For some weird reason it does seem like people expect absolutely perfection from Tesla in all aspects.
Some probably do expect that, and they will never find it anywhere. My concern is that all these little nits are telling me something about how much the company really cares about building an excellent car. I mean, you wouldn't hire a contractor that drives screws with a hammer. If little things you can see are poorly executed, how about all the little things you can't see? Does not caring about one (which Tesla plainly doesn't) mean they are ignoring others, too? I don't know the answer (Rich Rebuilds has an opinion when it comes to his Signature X). But I know that time and miles will ultimately tell.
Robin

For some weird reason it does seem like people expect absolutely perfection from Tesla in all aspects. Much higher bar for some reason.

I think people are aware of quality control issues with Tesla so everyone is paranoid and inspecting carefully. FWIW my new bmw had a Knick in the hood at delivery . They sent me a free bottle of touch paint up though.

Some probably do expect that, and they will never find it anywhere.

We've been drinking the Kool-Aid too long, if we've convinced ourselves Tesla paint jobs are on par with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi's. It just ain't so.
My 2006 Mazda's MX-5 paint job is way better then on my $60K 2018 MCR 3D. Had to have my hood and bumper repainted after delivery to fix dust nibs, and then spent $ hundred more having my detailer correct the rest. Sure Tesla covered the paint job, but it should never have been delivered in that condition.
I'd hoped Tesla would have figured out how to paint by now, but they're still delivering bad paint jobs.

Tesla solution...discourage customers from rejecting cars at delivery, by not allowing them to order a replacement for 12 months:mad:.

• Helpful
Reactions: Johnii__82
Hello guys! New to the forum (First post) and also just received delivery of my Model P3D! (first time buying a new car as well!)

I bet there are definitely a handful of Tesla owners who see issues with their paint job being unfinished or sloppy in areas like under the trunk, obscure area etc. when they first take delivery...

I took it back to service/delivery center for other fit and finish issues but they could not do anything with the paint or at least this one since this issue is considered "body work".

I still have no real complaints with Tesla because of the awesome car and what we're getting for the money. I am fully aware of the fit and finish qualities of these cars and they have done their best to make things right.

In this particular case, I wondering if I could just go to a body work place and just have them sand it off. Kind iffy doing so with a brand new car.
No way would I do anything with that. Mine looks the same.

I have 6 paint issues on my black 3 and its going in next month to have them rectified. The car itself looks to be well put together with nothing I have found that needs repairing other than the paint. Tesla's repair shop is a top end vehicle repairer who I've used myself on my previous BMW's. The shop told me generally American paint jobs are not of a European standard. I said just repair the paint to a standard your feel is acceptable.
My 3 is going to be a very long term ownership and looking forward to the car involving over the years with its computer updates. I do like the beta way of driving as I have to be aware at all times what's going on with my 3 and take over when required.