Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New design - With no stalks how do you change directions or signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why you're being so defensive and rude. I am perfectly happy with my Tesla right now, and I am well within my rights to criticize features or design choices that I don't like. I'm not sure why that seems to offend you so much. And what exactly demonstrates an inadequate grasp of engineering in my post? Please elaborate and be specific. So far you've just insulted me without bringing up any counter arguments, makes me think you're the one with an inadequate grasp. I'd like to hear your explanation on how a vision based system could be better than a purpose-built infrared sensor.

As for the things you listed, I see and hear plenty of people complain about the lack of binnacle screen on the 3/Y. Many people cite that as a reason for not buying one - you might just be encountering a selection bias if you only read posts from current owners. The other three changes all add some sort of value, whether it's safety or efficiency. My main problem with the lack of stalks and automatic selection is that it doesn't add any value for me. It's changing a simple control scheme that has effectively been perfected, to a more complicated system that will require user monitoring and at some point fail. I don't see that as positive change - maybe you do, and that's great, but I am free to voice my concerns.
You are well within your rights to complain about anything you like, regardless of how little you understand it.

But the simple solution to being afraid of Tesla design choices is to not own cars where they matter. Whining about what exists only in your imagination adds nothing.

Perhaps it would be better to discuss your concerns that Teslas might catch fire. They can, you know. Yours might. Be afraid. I'm sure that Tesla engineers never considered that.

Tesla's goal is to make a car that is smarter and more capable than you, at least about everything related to driving. All the design decisions they make are with that goal in mind (at least those that aren't about passenger comfort and safety). People who insist on retaining control despite their inferior abilities will soon be a danger to all around them. Tesla will reach this goal in somewhere from 2-10 years from today. The transition from here to there will be tricky in some respects, but I have little doubt that each step will make driving safer then before. You'll just have to get used to it.

You are well within your rights to complain about anything you like, regardless of how little you understand it.

But the simple solution to being afraid of Tesla design choices is to not own cars where they matter. Whining about what exists only in your imagination adds nothing.

Perhaps it would be better to discuss your concerns that Teslas might catch fire. They can, you know. Yours might. Be afraid. I'm sure that Tesla engineers never considered that.

Tesla's goal is to make a car that is smarter and more capable than you, at least about everything related to driving. All the design decisions they make are with that goal in mind (at least those that aren't about passenger comfort and safety). People who insist on retaining control despite their inferior abilities will soon be a danger to all around them. Tesla will reach this goal in somewhere from 2-10 years from today. The transition from here to there will be tricky in some respects, but I have little doubt that each step will make driving safer then before. You'll just have to get used to it.

Again, you've failed to address my concerns in any meaningful way and instead doubled down on insulting me and claiming I don't know anything. All while you ignore my points and type useless platitudes about how self driving will one day be better than humans (duh). That's not a constructive way to discuss something, so I'm done responding to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnking
It's funny how folks are so far on the extremes with this specific issue. One camp is talking as if the lack of stalks and new smart drive mode selection is going to launch them into a brick wall at 150mph while the other side is talking as if L5 will be here tomorrow and we should just drink another gallon of Elon's kool-aid as we retire our primitive driving skills forever.

Again, you've failed to address my concerns in any meaningful way and instead doubled down on insulting me and claiming I don't know anything. All while you ignore my points and type useless platitudes about how self driving will one day be better than humans (duh). That's not a constructive way to discuss something, so I'm done responding to you.
I don't see any possibility of addressing your concerns. Only you can address what exists entirely in your imagination. As I said before, concerns that are rightly prefaced by "Assuming Tesla engineers are idiots..." are not worth discussing.

And it is not insulting anybody to point out that your concerns have nothing to do with any reality.

It's funny how folks are so far on the extremes with this specific issue. One camp is talking as if the lack of stalks and new smart drive mode selection is going to launch them into a brick wall at 150mph while the other side is talking as if L5 will be here tomorrow and we should just drink another gallon of Elon's kool-aid as we retire our primitive driving skills forever.

Thanks for this reasonable post. It does seem to be a polarizing issue, presumably based on your faith in Tesla to deliver an automated solution.

To date, all of Tesla's self-driving features have been driver-activated (not counting things like emergency braking), so the driver has always had full control of the automation. This is the first time that Tesla has announced a self-drive feature that is initiated by the vehicle, with the driver forced to override its decision if needed.

I think that is why some people have concerns about this change, especially if they have witnessed some of the more egregious mistakes made by AP or summon. Based on those experiences it's not hard to come up with a scenario where the automation guesses incorrectly and it puts you in an unsafe situation.

Reactions: elguapo
I don't care for the car thinking that it knows what direction to go is best. The car may not see that drainage ditch in front of it but it can't backup because there is too much traffic So car comes up to a gate. How will it know to wait for the gate to open or will it backup?

Don’t confuse individuals with camps. Please.

The vast majority of this forum is based on conjecture and predictions about the future. If you want to eliminate conjecture, this forum wouldn't exist.
That % has certainly grown. It used to be a lot more information sharing and helping each other to figure stuff out. I remember those days, and I think the forum could be quite healthy with less... thank you.

I have no problem with modest conjecture. “I’m guessing it will work like this and here’s why” is OK. Even, “I’m guessing it will work like this, and if it does I’ll hate/love it” is ok.

I have a problem with people stating conjecture as if it is fact, and taking extreme, polarizing positions based on conjecture.

SorryIi need the stalks for PRND." I "decide where and when I want to go, when it is safe to come out on on a busy road.
I have FSD at the moment ...and cringe every time on the motor way my model X decides to brake ( no obstacles ) and every other driver thinking I am an idiot for sudden breaking for no reason..... so from this level we are going into full driving by end 2021?

By the way If I buy it will be the round option steering wheel....easier for 3 point turns.
But I also need a better range in the X ...547 km range for plaid model X no good enough ...I need the 837 km range like model S .....
so sorry that the moment no deal. ...I will sit this one out and wait for the next generation.

SorryIi need the stalks for PRND." I "decide where and when I want to go, when it is safe to come out on on a busy road.
I have FSD at the moment ...and cringe every time on the motor way my model X decides to brake ( no obstacles ) and every other driver thinking I am an idiot for sudden breaking for no reason..... so from this level we are going into full driving by end 2021?

By the way If I buy it will be the round option steering wheel....easier for 3 point turns.
But I also need a better range in the X ...547 km range for plaid model X no good enough ...I need the 837 km range like model S .....
so sorry that the moment no deal. ...I will sit this one out and wait for the next generation.
What if it is not on stalk but fully selectable on center console? Like ~half of all cars? I think they’ve been clear that’s what’s happening.

What if it is not on stalk but fully selectable on center console? Like ~half of all cars? I think they’ve been clear that’s what’s happening.

As long as whatever control they have is tactile in nature and can be operated without having to look down I will try it.

If it is a bunch of touch buttons on a screen that you have to look at to select, well ...

Reactions: DoctorVenkman
How do you know that the driver will not have option to turn it off and use the new, non-stalk PRND selector at will?

I must have missed that there would be a non-stalk selector. Do you have a source on that? I don't see one in any of the renders, and Elon specifically said the override would be on the touchscreen, so that's what I was going off of.

I don't see how you could turn that feature off without having a physical selector somewhere. I guess if you turned the auto selection feature off, you would have to navigate to the control menu and select your gear that way?

Last edited: