Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Equalizer In Version 8.0.2.50.114 - Please Share Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some preliminary thoughts on the new 5 band EQ. I measured this with my iPhone and only spent about 5 minutes on this so it's subject to change once I have more time to analyze:

These readings were taken with my volume set to the first '6' level (Going from 5). Also I have the upgraded sound with the ultra white synthetic seats and the readings were taken with my iPhone mic at ear level in the drivers seat position and the surround setting set to default (Center of the car) in a 6 seat car with the rear two seats folded down. One other thing that might be slightly different in my setup is I actually have the mythical parcel shelf and it was installed for this, so it may help improve the bass response in my setup a bit.

These are where I measured the different EQ band controls:

Low band 1 - Centered around 80Hz
Low band 2 - Centered around 200Hz
Mid Band 3 - Centered around 800Hz
High Band 4 - Centered around 2kHz
High Band 5 - Centered around 8kHz

At volume 6 I preferred this setup on the EQ:
Band 1 = +3.0
Band 2 = +1.0
Band 3 = 0
Band 4 = +3.5
Band 5 = 0

These settings will boost the low end a bit and provide a bit of a boost between 100Hz and 500Hz. Then it flattens out through about 1kHz and then boosts a bit to improve intelligibility for vocals in the 2kHz range. The system default setting (0) at band 5 rolls off the higher end a bit from being flat and then really tails off above 16kHz. The settings above also don't dramatically emphasize any particular frequency band, they are more of a rolling gradual boost for certain areas. I'll live with these for a bit and then play around with them again.

Again, these are really quick and dirty readings that I took, so play around with them to suit your own taste. To my ears, this latest audio upgrade really improved the clarity and overall frequency response of the system and improved the channel separation. The bass response is dramatically improved from what it was before. Basically the low band 1 control is the subwoofer control now. The measurements I made are objective, but in the end, what is a pleasing sound is very subjective. The benchmark I'm using when I say there are improvements in the system are overall clarity, smoothness of response and sound stage. Depending on the kind of system you are used to listening to, your perceptions may vary.

I don't like playing my music very loud, so for those who do, these settings will probably not work that well for you. But for those who like to listen to the sound system and a volume that still allows conversation, the above gives you a nice frequency curve to use as a baseline to work from.
Thanks! Even though I'm one of those folks who likes everything louder, this is a great starting point.

Excellent post ... thank you :cool:

These are where I measured the different EQ band controls:

Low band 1 - Centered around 80Hz
Low band 2 - Centered around 200Hz
Mid Band 3 - Centered around 800Hz
High Band 4 - Centered around 2kHz
High Band 5 - Centered around 8kHz

At volume 6 I preferred this setup on the EQ:
Band 1 = +3.0
Band 2 = +1.0
Band 3 = 0
Band 4 = +3.5
Band 5 = 0

Last edited:
Some might argue alpha!
What's lower than Alpha?

Cycle:
  1. Great anticipation about car software because it will fix all the bugs and have all the new features you want
  2. Download software.
  3. Praise dev team for keeping us on the bleeding edge, wonder why I ever doubted them.
  4. Install software
  5. Find 2 features you didn't ask for, but one of them is cool and the other is there if you need it. Realize that 4 bugs have been fixed, but now 2 of them are different bugs affecting the same function. And then 1 more bug has been added and 1 feature doesn't work like it used to.
  6. Get angry at devs, who's fault it probably isn't because A. They don't own/drive a Tesla every day, and/or B. They are taking their priority/marching orders from someone else who sees the ownership base as needing to just live with it because surely not enough people will complain.
  7. Rinse/Repeat

If it matters to anyone, I occasionally get my equalizer reset to 0 and I'm still on 7.1 (I've refused the update each morning). Seemingly randomly it goes to 0 over the past few months.

Incidentally, I don't know if it's just that I'm noticing things more, but I've found reboots to restore function and bugs/oddities more often when there is an update pending than when there isn't.

Yea +1 on the EQ. settings. Mine go back to all 0's.
But I am very happy at getting this EQ upgrade. I played with it and the system sounds so much better!
I guess I will just have to keep re-setting until this is corrected. NOT going to complain about a free upgrade to my sound system. It was a nice Christmas present. But i would have liked a Christmas music light show for my S o_O jealous over those X owners. :)

An all expense paid trip to the garage wherein you will be cradled in Tesla seats whilst you spend the time needed to RESET all your EQ settings.

BOOM!

I only got 3.5's across the board, but my Fader was askew all the way to the left and to the rear.... that has to get me something!

My settings: +5, +2, 0, -0.5, +1.

A bit bass heavy when not driving, but these settings work well for me in highway speeds (when the road noise masks low end). Slightly reducing the upper mids with band 4 makes the sound more pleasing to my ears. I think tesla sound system is a bit harsh in the high mid / high. The sub frequencies were ok before, but upper bass was problematic. It was fine when the car was not moving, but totally disappeared behind the road noise... Band 2 in new eq solves this problem area perfectly!

Just my opinion, and "perfect settings" is very subjective thing, and depends highly on the source too.