Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New estimated delivery on Tesla page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course I’m happy with the new estimate. However, do we really think all the P models will be delivered by the end of Sept? I consider myself to be near the end of the P list (no reservation, non owner, configured on 8/13). For me to receive my car by the end of Sept it would have to be produced by mid-Sept (two weeks). Will they really essentially run through their entire backlog of P3Ds in the next two weeks?

Reactions: Stacks
Ordered Aug 2017
reserve configure June 28 2018
Black/Black fully loaded

This morning - Delivery now say "By end September"

You can bet Tesla will push as many out the door and or paid for by the end of Q3 "September" as possible
Both good news possibly (get earlier) and bad (possibly quality issues)

GAAP financial Rules allows a company to recognize revenue, "when the customer pays for the good". (not necessary delivered)
Be prepared for high pressure to pay by end Sept before delivery.

The statement to us - the customers - estimated *delivery* by "late September". Pressure to pay in full prior to delivery would require substantial consideration on Tesla's part.

However, do we really think all the P models will be delivered by the end of Sept?
I really hope that a real planner is setting these dates (not Elon!) and they are not moving delivery dates twice in one week unless they are really, really sure. It doesn't do them any good to increase expectations then miss them. I was worried that everyone getting December due dates was a "hope" by Tesla more than a "certainty" but now that I've been moved up 3 months, I feel a lot better for everyone.

If they are really making 8000 cars per week since early August, they will double the number of M3's in the wild by late September. Who knows how many people have really ordered... (reservations mean nothing... I sat on my reservation for months without being sure I would go though with it.)

I am in Georgia and it takes typically two weeks for the car to get here, so mine has to roll off the line by mid-September.... I feel like I could hear something any day!!!!

Of course I’m happy with the new estimate. However, do we really think all the P models will be delivered by the end of Sept? I consider myself to be near the end of the P list (no reservation, non owner, configured on 8/13). For me to receive my car by the end of Sept it would have to be produced by mid-Sept (two weeks). Will they really essentially run through their entire backlog of P3Ds in the next two weeks?
I hope they don't do a rush job and get us poor quality cars. I rather wait more and get one without defects.

Doesnt the delivery date take what day you placed your initial reservation?
Yes, both order date and original reservation date (if you had one) are supposed to be taken into account. I would expect this is how other people with the same configuration as you are ranked in order of priority.

However, the understanding of most people is that they don't manufacture custom cars.... they decide what cars to build based on their own criteria and make a big batch (there's not that many possible configurations). For example, right now we think they are prioritizing the highest margin cars. After they make a batch of cars, they then match it with the next person on the list for that car. If they didn't make your car, you're not getting matched.

Geographic location of the buyer also matters... they are not going to send a bunch of cars to a location that doesn't have the ability to deliver them while another location might have underused staff. I would expect them to be spreading cars around based on resources.

So, bottom line is that its confusing and, from the outside, somewhat random but they'll get to everyone eventually (and I think they'll do their best to get everyone the full $7500 credit.)

I really hope that a real planner is setting these dates (not Elon!) and they are not moving delivery dates twice in one week unless they are really, really sure. It doesn't do them any good to increase expectations then miss them. I was worried that everyone getting December due dates was a "hope" by Tesla more than a "certainty" but now that I've been moved up 3 months, I feel a lot better for everyone.

If they are really making 8000 cars per week since early August, they will double the number of M3's in the wild by late September. Who knows how many people have really ordered... (reservations mean nothing... I sat on my reservation for months without being sure I would go though with it.)

I am in Georgia and it takes typically two weeks for the car to get here, so mine has to roll off the line by mid-September.... I feel like I could hear something any day!!!!

Yes!