Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New feature: Autosteer Stop Light Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it works better at night right now?

Most people think i hate Tesla but i'm don't i think its a good thing, they got a traffic light detection that works close to 50% of the time and 10% of the time in the day and released it. They are forerunners.

I applaud them for that.

200.webp

Most people think i hate Tesla but i'm don't i think its a good thing, they got a traffic light detection that works close to 50% of the time and 10% of the time in the day and released it. They are forerunners.

I applaud them for that.

200.webp

Most people think I hate bladder but I don't. He was able to make a trollish argument based on a small sample size. I applaud him for that. Nice try!

Most people think I hate bladder but I don't. He was able to make a trollish argument based on a small sample size. I applaud him for that. Nice try!
Based on what everyone is saying. Its hit and miss.

What this proves (like we needed any further proof.. ) is that elon was BS ing like always about coast to coast by end of 2017. Then double downing triple downing, saying end 2017 or latest early 2018, then every time he was asked it was in 3 months.

Based on what everyone is saying. Its hit and miss.

Did you see the video I posted from early access where autopilot is stopping at red lights on its own? Apparently the user was able to turn on the functionality to stop at red lights in the 2019.8 update:

It proves that EAP is able to see red lights and stop for them at busy intersections. So, Tesla's FSD development can handle red lights and stopping at intersections pretty reliably already based on that video. The reason you think it is hit and miss is because the warning does not always come on for every single red light. That's because the feature is set to only give the warning when it thinks the car will blow through a red light. So if the car is going too slow or slowing down, it won't give the warning since it won't meet the criteria for "blowing through a red light". Maybe Tesla needs to adjust that threshold? But the feature is working as intended. And based on the video of EAP smoothly stopping at red lights at intersections, I would say Tesla is making good progress on FSD.

Last edited:
If you read the release notes, it is clear that "autosteer stop light warning" does not give warnings just for seeing a red light, it only gives warnings when it thinks autopilot is at risk of blowing through a red light. That is a key distinction. It is why it does not always give a warning at a red light. It's misleading because it gives the impression that AP is not detecting red lights when it actually is.

If you read the release notes, it is clear that "autosteer stop light warning" does not give warnings just for seeing a red light, it only gives warnings when it thinks autopilot is at risk of blowing through a red light. That is a key distinction. It is why it does not always give a warning at a red light. It's misleading because it gives the impression that AP is not detecting red lights when it actually is.

@verygreen is there a campaign for a driver stopping at red lights on AP or anything related to red lights?

It proves that EAP is able to see red lights and stop for them at busy intersections. So, Tesla's FSD development can handle red lights and stopping at intersections pretty reliably already based on that video. And based on the video of EAP smoothly stopping at red lights at intersections, I would say Tesla is making good progress on FSD.

Did you even watch the video? That is what you call reliably? running a red light? Mis-categorizing red lights multiple times in just a handful of attempts, including missing traffic lights completely?

Then this video of stop signs: Recognizes and stops good on first stop sign, recognizes but stops late on second stop sign (dangerously crossing the intersection), doesn't recognize the third stop sign and completely blows past it.

PRETTY RELIABLY?

tenor.gif

Reactions: croman
Did you even watch the video? That is what you call reliably? running a red light? Mis-categorizing red lights multiple times in just a handful of attempts, including missing traffic lights completely?

Then this video of stop signs: Recognizes and stops good on first stop sign, recognizes but stops late on second stop sign (dangerously crossing the intersection), doesn't recognize the third stop sign and completely blows past it.

PRETTY RELIABLY?

tenor.gif

Yes, I watched the video. Let me walk you through it:

0:20 mark: correctly detects red light
0:50 mark: correctly detects red light
1:20 mark: correctly detects red light
1:34 mark: correctly detects red light
2:22 mark: correctly detects red light
2:47 mark: correctly detects red light
3:21 mark: correctly detects green light.
3:51 mark: correctly detects red light
4:52 mark: correctly detects change to green light
5:18 mark: misidentifies red as green and then corrects itself
6:33 mark: correctly detects green light
6:48 mark: correctly detects a green light at first but then thinks its red
7:13 mark: does not detect green light
7:30 mark: correctly detects green light
7:52 mark: correctly detects green light

Again, not perfect. Get's 12 out of 15 right to my count. That's 80% right. Not good enough for full public release which is why it is still in early access. But for an alpha, early access, feature, it looks pretty good.

Its not early access or even alpha. Its dev. VG hacked that to get it like ULC with the early v9. Tesla just didn't edit it out. I believe he suspects 2019.9 to have additional "goodies" so lets hope he gets his hands on it and his AP unit magically fixes itself.

That being said, I agree with @diplomat33 -- its a great start and portends them delivering by year end hopefully. Who knows though. Getting to 99.9999999% is the hard part (tail end as Waymo called it I think).

I assume the HW3 larger network with more frames as input, some LSTM and with a larger dataset could take this from 80% to 98%. Then they need a few loops of SW2.0 and a map with some statistical models of the lights to get it to 5 nines.