Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if we're adding to the rumor mill, go pay attention to the very last Q&A on the now infamous "35k Model 3" call...

Elon: "Will there be autopilot upgrades? umm. uhhh.yea umm uhh The only upgrade that's sort of happening in realtime is the HW3 autopilot computer -- but this is essentially invisible to the user. The features don't require the HW3 autopilot. umm yeah"

Which features was he refering to? The Autopilot features, or the FSD features?

How will they do the automatic lane change without driver input? I used navigate on autopilot this week. It requires turn signal confirmation of a lane change before it will change lanes. As far as I know, the car cannot cancel a turn signal so one has to turn off the turn signal after the lane change.

I was really impressed with the navigate on autopilot when it took the exit for the supercharger. I was less impressed when I got back on the road and it tried to take the next exit which wasn’t part of the navigation route.

To do the automatic lane changes, it’ll need to turn on the turn signal by itself then cancel the turn signal after the successful lane change. Can it do that?

To do the automatic lane changes, it’ll need to turn on the turn signal by itself then cancel the turn signal after the successful lane change. Can it do that?

It will already cancel the signal automatically. Let me suggest: Change the way you confirm a lane change. Instead of doing the full "lock" on the signal stalk, just give it a half-press, as if you were doing a "four blink" signal.

The stalk returns to center, but the car continues signalling until the lane change is complete.

Certainly in the next phase, it will have no difficulty doing its own signals.

(Did you realize that the car activates the brake lights when TACC decelerates?)

Mojo

Reactions: OPRCE and PrGrPa
It will already cancel the signal automatically. Let me suggest: Change the way you confirm a lane change. Instead of doing the full "lock" on the signal stalk, just give it a half-press, as if you were doing a "four blink" signal.

The stalk returns to center, but the car continues signalling until the lane change is complete.

Certainly in the next phase, it will have no difficulty doing its own signals.

(Did you realize that the car activates the brake lights when TACC decelerates?)

Mojo

I do know about the brake lights when the car slows with regen and with TACC.

In the past when I’ve used the turn signal partially depressed to change lanes under autopilot, then released before the lane change is complete, the car has abruptly changed direction in order to return to the original lane. Since that happened several times I started fully engaging the turn signal and then disengaging it once the lane change was complete. Has that abrupt behavior changed?

Tesla doesn't seem to have made up their mind yet about free stuff. I have seen conflicting information from Delivery Advisors about free AP or free FSD for deliveries between Jan 1st - Feb 27th. Free seems to be the norm for Model 3 deliveries in Europe but the exception otherwise.

To clarify, if the car was undelivered on 28 Feb and ordered before 28 Feb, then you get free AP if you didn't order EAP or you get free FSD if you ordered EAP. There is no problem with this group. The uncertainty is about 2019 deliveries before 28 Feb. According to this image, 2019 deliveries before 28 February don't get anything free. However, according to this image, they do.

I created this new version of the diagram based on how Tesla appears to be implementing the price changes.

ijJuJvb.gif

• Informative
Reactions: Doctt and TK16688
Tesla doesn't seem to have made up their mind yet about free stuff. I have seen conflicting information from Delivery Advisors about free AP or free FSD for deliveries between Jan 1st - Feb 27th. Free seems to be the norm for Model 3 deliveries in Europe but the exception otherwise.

To clarify, if the car was undelivered on 28 Feb and ordered before 28 Feb, then you get free AP if you didn't order EAP or you get free FSD if you ordered EAP. There is no problem with this group. The uncertainty is about 2019 deliveries before 28 Feb. According to this image, 2019 deliveries before 28 February don't get anything free. However, according to this image, they do.

I created this new version of the diagram based on how Tesla appears to be implementing the price changes.
That is a fantastic chart! Thank you for putting it together. I wish there was enough information to build something similar for S/X owners of AP2.0 and AP2.5 to determine if you get free hardware upgrades (or what it costs) based on the date you purchased FSD. I just don't think Tesla has been clear enough in their message so far too build such a chart.

That is a fantastic chart! Thank you for putting it together. I wish there was enough information to build something similar for S/X owners of AP2.0 and AP2.5 to determine if you get free hardware upgrades (or what it costs) based on the date you purchased FSD. I just don't think Tesla has been clear enough in their message so far too build such a chart.

All FSDs include the free HW3.0 computer swap regardless of the time of purchase whether you bought FSD in Oct 2016 or now. FSD is not going to work without the new computer that is 10 to 20 times more powerful. In the podcast here, Elon explains that FSD software would be too complicated if they tried to make it work with the current hardware but he said the new hardware will enable 100 frames per second without any compression.

What is not clear is whether Tesla will upgrade components other than the Autopilot computer which is easy to swap according to Elon. AP2.0 has black and white cameras whereas AP2.5 has color cameras. Sentry mode, dog mode, and dashcam features don't work with AP2.0. The question is, will those features start working when you get the free hardware 3.0 upgrade if you have AP2.0? That part is not clear. However, you will definitely get the new Autopilot computer if you have FSD because FSD features won't work with the current computer.

...Sentry mode, dog mode, and dashcam features don't work with AP2.0. The question is, will those features start working when you get the free hardware 3.0 upgrade if you have AP2.0? That part is not clear. However, you will definitely get the new Autopilot computer if you have FSD because FSD features won't work with the current computer.

Question: Why is Dog Mode dependent on AP 2.5? It's just setting the HVAC at a certain level. There's no cameras in use for that mode, right?

In the past when I’ve used the turn signal partially depressed to change lanes under autopilot, then released before the lane change is complete, the car has abruptly changed direction in order to return to the original lane.

Yes, that's how Automatic Lane Change works with generic autosteer. When you're on Navigate on Autopilot, the gentle press is enough to confirm a lane change. It will carry on on its own.

How will they do the automatic lane change without driver input? I used navigate on autopilot this week. It requires turn signal confirmation of a lane change before it will change lanes. As far as I know, the car cannot cancel a turn signal so one has to turn off the turn signal after the lane change.

I was really impressed with the navigate on autopilot when it took the exit for the supercharger. I was less impressed when I got back on the road and it tried to take the next exit which wasn’t part of the navigation route.

Model 3 turn signal lever doesn't latch, so it turns off automatically. The S/X can activate the turn signal with software just fine. But if the driver confirms a lane change by latching the stalk, the car can't return the stalk to it's neutral position.

However, it's even more fun to confirm lane changes on NoA by pulling the AP stalk towards you once, just like when activating TACC. In that case my X turns on the correct turn signal, makes the lane change, and turns off the signal. You don't even have to think about left or right signal, just an AP pull. I was jealous of the 3 until I tried that. It works for the 3 as well.