Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How will they do the automatic lane change without driver input? I used navigate on autopilot this week. It requires turn signal confirmation of a lane change before it will change lanes. As far as I know, the car cannot cancel a turn signal so one has to turn off the turn signal after the lane change.

I was really impressed with the navigate on autopilot when it took the exit for the supercharger. I was less impressed when I got back on the road and it tried to take the next exit which wasn’t part of the navigation route.

To do the automatic lane changes, it’ll need to turn on the turn signal by itself then cancel the turn signal after the successful lane change. Can it do that?
Dont use turn signal handle. Pull back on AP once to confirm. It's much nicer. I have problems doing other way. Plus you dont have to turn off when done.

• Informative
Reactions: D.E.
What is not clear is whether Tesla will upgrade components other than the Autopilot computer which is easy to swap according to Elon. AP2.0 has black and white cameras whereas AP2.5 has color cameras. Sentry mode, dog mode, and dashcam features don't work with AP2.0. The question is, will those features start working when you get the free hardware 3.0 upgrade if you have AP2.0? That part is not clear. However, you will definitely get the new Autopilot computer if you have FSD because FSD features won't work with the current computer.

And we also know that at least Sentry and Dog Mode could work with AP2, but that Tesla doesn't want it to. So yes indeed, same question: are those features going to be added to AP2 cars when they're getting the new HW3 computer?

Yes, that's how Automatic Lane Change works with generic autosteer. When you're on Navigate on Autopilot, the gentle press is enough to confirm a lane change. It will carry on on its own.

Since the latest update, the Automatic Lane Change works that way in Europe too (though we do not have NoA).

How will they do the automatic lane change without driver input? I used navigate on autopilot this week. It requires turn signal confirmation of a lane change before it will change lanes. As far as I know, the car cannot cancel a turn signal so one has to turn off the turn signal after the lane change.

I was really impressed with the navigate on autopilot when it took the exit for the supercharger. I was less impressed when I got back on the road and it tried to take the next exit which wasn’t part of the navigation route.

To do the automatic lane changes, it’ll need to turn on the turn signal by itself then cancel the turn signal after the successful lane change. Can it do that?
This is not true, using the automatic lane change (without NoA) you just have to 'tap' the turn signal to initiate (and not confirm) the auto-lane change then the turn signal will automatically turn off after the lane change completed (using it every day).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
All FSDs include the free HW3.0 computer swap regardless of the time of purchase whether you bought FSD in Oct 2016 or now. FSD is not going to work without the new computer that is 10 to 20 times more powerful. In the podcast here, Elon explains that FSD software would be too complicated if they tried to make it work with the current hardware but he said the new hardware will enable 100 frames per second without any compression.

What is not clear is whether Tesla will upgrade components other than the Autopilot computer which is easy to swap according to Elon. AP2.0 has black and white cameras whereas AP2.5 has color cameras. Sentry mode, dog mode, and dashcam features don't work with AP2.0. The question is, will those features start working when you get the free hardware 3.0 upgrade if you have AP2.0? That part is not clear. However, you will definitely get the new Autopilot computer if you have FSD because FSD features won't work with the current computer.

I am confident I'll get some AP3 hardware. But others who ordered later and didn't buy FSD by the cut off will need to pay for the hardware upgrade. That is what I was referring to for the chart. As for Sentry mode and dashcam, I believe those have more to do with MCU2, not AP2.5. Regardless, I don't care about those features because my Blackvue "is watching, always watching -Roz". Dog mode I do want. But there isn't a limitation on AP2.5 or MCU2. It just hasn't been put in any widespread releases that go to AP2.0 cars yet. Pretty clear from the number of back to back releases last month and now a huge stall in updates that something isn't right with the code and they are testing something else.

Reactions: Dario_75D
@Bumper, who do you think is going to pay for the hardware upgrade? Can you explain that more precisely? Maybe give an example that includes the prices paid.

I don’t remember the date but in 2018 I recall a cut off announcement. If you didnt have FSD on that car by that date, you were not guaranteed free hardware upgrade. I purchased FSD to get in on the deal. Basically upgrade insurance. But that does not mean Tesla wouldn’t honor the free upgrade for folks after that too. I think they just wanted to limit their liability as they started to ship a lot more cars. We just don’t know yet because it is not finalized. Tesla has shown frequently that offers and terms change.

@Bumper, your sentences can be read in two different ways. Which one is it?

1. others who ordered later and didn't buy FSD by the cut off will need to pay for the hardware upgrade [even if they buy FSD later]
2. others who ordered later and didn't buy FSD by the cut off will need to pay for the hardware upgrade [unless they buy FSD later]

1. If you didn't have FSD on that car by that date, you were not guaranteed free hardware upgrade [even if you buy FSD later]
2. If you didn't have FSD on that car by that date, you were not guaranteed free hardware upgrade [unless you buy FSD later]

I don’t remember the date but in 2018 I recall a cut off announcement. If you didnt have FSD on that car by that date, you were not guaranteed free hardware upgrade. I purchased FSD to get in on the deal. Basically upgrade insurance. But that does not mean Tesla wouldn’t honor the free upgrade for folks after that too. I think they just wanted to limit their liability as they started to ship a lot more cars. We just don’t know yet because it is not finalized. Tesla has shown frequently that offers and terms change.

Source?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I'm not able to find anything that spells it out clearly. The closest I found was an article that price of EAP after delivery went up and a new note on Tesla's buy page that "After Delivery prices are subject to change". It is possible I inferred that they could raise the price of FSD at a later time and only those who already paid are protected by a free upgrade. I don't think anyone knows exactly what it will look like so we all seem to be passing around good guesses. My apologies for passing unverified info.

Tesla increases price of Autopilot when bought after delivery as it launches new features

This is not true, using the automatic lane change (without NoA) you just have to 'tap' the turn signal to initiate (and not confirm) the auto-lane change then the turn signal will automatically turn off after the lane change completed (using it every day).

OK, that’s a change then from formerly. It’s good to know. Thanks.

Here is an email that confirms all customers who pre-ordered FSD will get the free HW3 computer swap. Of course, those who ordered FSD after 28 Feb 2019 will also get the new computer because new FSD features like traffic light recognition won't work with the current computer.

ngx9hhY.gif

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
Here is an email that confirms all customers who pre-ordered FSD will get the free HW3 computer swap. Of course, those who ordered FSD after 28 Feb 2019 will also get the new computer because new FSD features like traffic light recognition won't work with the current computer.

ngx9hhY.gif
Now I am confused....what $8000 cost of FSD being waived? are they talking about people who paid 5k for EAP + 3k for FSD before announcement and don't have another choice anyhow (except try to get a 1k refund)?

ngx9hhY.gif
Interesting that is says Camera, radar, and ultrasonic are the same. I assume the context of this email is to people who would be ordering cars with AP 2.5, not folks that had 2.0.

Reactions: Axael

Elon frequently lists some feature standard for AP2 when that really isn't true. Sentry mode and Dashcam are a great example. His tweet at the link below said anyone with AP2 hardware but what he really meant to say is AP2 hardware with MCU2 also. The email above was sent to employees to invite them to buy cars. This was sent when any car you order would be AP2.5 already. So even though it says cameras and radar are the same, those of us with AP2.0 hardware should not assume our cameras and radar are the same.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/22/tesla-sentry-mode-360-dashcam-elon-musk/

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and KyleDay