Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From 150ft away you'll be able to monitor all sides of the car and its path? I get Tesla will have the fine print to make sure you're liable, hence my worry about insurance going up to cover. Oh, and even at 10mph your car can do body damage which will get your car stuck in bodyshop waiting for estimate+parts+repair for weeks if not months.

Whether or how closely you care to actually monitor it will be entirely up to yourself, kinda like keeping eyes on the road with AP ... those who do not will at some stage likely suffer the unpleasant consequences.

The max speed will [unconfirmed] AFAIK be 6.2mph = 10kmh, for legal reasons, but Musk was not joking when he said "it will literally follow you around the car park", because that's how close you will really want to be if caring at all about your bodywork! Hence it will be mostly a gimmick for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: BlueRocket
Electek has the scoop on the new Smart Summon coming this month. The car will indeed be able to navigate a parking lot autonomously to either come to your GPS phone location or a pin that you place on a map as long as they are within 150ft of your car. Looks like a FSD feature to me!

First look at Tesla’s new Enhanced Summon: self-driving in parking lots

Electrek are an unserious outlet paid (in Roadsters) to write glowing propaganda for Elon after he secretly E-Mails them each advance press-release, whereas this report by an anonymous EAP tester I believe more accurately reflects the crippling horror of using Smart Summon:

I've seen it in action about a dozen times now and it is so bad, so far away from something that anyone would want to actually use. This is not my normal account because I don't want it to be linked back to the owner who has it but here are some things I've noticed.

It doesn't always take the best path. If you're like most people and pull into a space and the car backs out well, the car then tries to back out to get you. It's also pretty dumb as you'd imagine, it doesn't know that there are cars/etc blocking the shortest path so it would start to go and just get stuck. It won't back up or turn around.

Every time it's failed to complete its mission. Every time. Most of the time it fails about 30% of the way there by just freaking out and stopping. It does some weird *sugar* that it just starts to turn the wheel back and forth and then just disables.

I like that it adjusts the path as it moves but it should let you (since you have to watch anyway) draw the path you want it to take. I've seen it try to drive over curbs/grass because it thinks that's the best way. If it sees something in the way (Car, small wall) it will adjust its path to go around but it's trying to path find based off a few sensors and cameras.

It's SLOW. As expected, it has to go slow. In a parking lot the other day it was moving at like a toddles pace and sure as *sugar* cars were pulling up behind it.

It's just not ready, and IMHO, won't be for a long time. Good luck to everyone if it's included in the next major firmware release.

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty and croman
Also on HW2.5 about 30% of main processor power is dedicated to running the "intelligent" windscreen wipers in the most bone-headed fashion imaginable, a situation which at this juncture seems unlikely to ever improve, so makes the clinching argument for HW3/FSD.

Reactions: zmarty
Electrek are an unserious outlet paid (in Roadsters) to write glowing propaganda for Elon after he secretly E-Mails them each advance press-release, whereas this report by an anonymous EAP tester I believe more accurately reflects the crippling horror of using Smart Summon:
Electrek gets criticized constantly on the Investor forum for being anti-Tesla / negative....

Every time it's failed to complete its mission. Every time. Most of the time it fails about 30% of the way there by just freaking out and stopping. It does some weird *sugar* that it just starts to turn the wheel back and forth and then just disables.
Torque limited for safety, just like regular summon.

It's also pretty dumb as you'd imagine, it doesn't know that there are cars/etc blocking the shortest path so it would start to go and just get stuck. It won't back up or turn around.

How could it know that? It does not have cameras on a mast.
FedEx, UPS, and USPS won't back up and U-turn (usually) either.

"Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers."

Does anyone with AP2 think this will apply their car?

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
"Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers."

Does anyone with AP2 think this will apply their car?

I have an March 2017 delivered AP2 car with pre-purchased FSD when ordered. I would “hope so” and the way it is worded would indicate so. HOWEVER....CAVEAT here...Elon says so many things that are vailed or mis-stated or changed 3 months maybe 6 months definitely...down the road that I honestly don’t expect it. I hope this wont be yet another #ElonLetDown like so many other promises, statements, tweets have been.

Absolutely It should not be that big of a deal to swap out the cameras and run an extra cable or two for the new radar. Plus FSD customers are paying a bunch of money for the upgrade.

IMHO it is to Tesla's benefit to get as many people as possible on the HW 3.0 platform so they can program FSD features for HW 3.0 without having to special case HW 2 and 2.5, notwithstanding thefact that HW 2.0/2.5 we know is a dead end for getting FSD working anyway.

So they will have to do any upgrades and it should not be that difficult. People run wires to install cameras, radar detectors, dashcams and such all the time and it doesn't cost much.

Did they invite you yet?
I am waiting for mine.
Mark

If they do [as I agree they should] get ALC on HW2.x + EAP, the experience is guaranteed to be a qualitatively very different one than ALC on HW3 + FSD, in terms of improved perception accuracy, path fluidity and overall safety, given that the latter will have the cameras running at full resolution and frame rates, on greatly expanded neural nets, whereas the former will remain restricted and on the current nets, due to its processor capacity already being about maxed out [hence resulting in a more error-prone and jerky path].

OTOH those new buyers who await HW3 appearing in series production, then take AP only, should, for the same reasons, get a much more reliable Autosteer and TACC than is available on the current system [minus NoAP, ALC, etc.]

A 30-day FSD-trial will in all likelihood be offered when it is in a decent working order and, if purchased, [the realistic estimate is] around Jan 2023 the nags should be removed to give a true general-purpose L3 AV system.

Hence my recommendation would be to steer towards HW3 by any means necessary, both as a safer and more enjoyable vehicle and a better long-term investment/resale value!

On build-date 22 March 2018, according to my very competent and friendly sales advisor, who steered me to one built in late April.

I don't think they can afford to risk pushing their luck any further on that front.

It is more likely that the relatively small number [perhaps 10,000] of HW2.0 owners who had pre-purchased FSD will have their cars bought back/exchanged if a retrofit of wiring, servos, cameras, etc., up to HW2.5 standards is economically infeasible. Whether this happens before or after a class-action lawsuit is matter for "negotiations" between the affected owners and Tesla, but now would be the perfect time to start organising / agitating to ensure the right thing gets done a.s.a.p.

Cameras and radar are definitely different in HW2.5 from 2.0, also redundant wiring and steering servo were added. Not sure when the ultrasonics were upgraded but suspect they were in 2.0 already.

My Model S was built on March 15 and delivered on March 22, 2018. At the time, we started hearing about the new MCU a few days before the car was built and were hoping we would receive it and we did. I know that some deliveries further away than CA still got the prior version MCU even after my car was delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
As far as I know, EAP will inherit Auto Lane Change without confirmation when it comes out. I don't think there will be one ALC with confirmation and one without.

The order page makes no mention of auto lane change at all and the Teslarati article says that auto lane change has been moved from the new basic AP over to FSD. So perhaps, Tesla is dropping auto lane change with confirmation completely and just going with auto lane change without confirmation for EAP and FSD? In any case, it appears that the new basic AP will not get any auto lane change at all, not even with confirmation but I could be wrong about that.

Did they invite you yet?
I am waiting for mine.
Mark

Even if you get invited, don't hold your breath for an early access update. The last round of invitees (from October, 2018) haven't gotten any early updates. Several have reported this on TMC.

Reactions: SpudLime
According to the latest post about AP and FSD on tesla.com with EAP for a car with HW 2.5 , should the upgrade to FSD cost $2000?
That's what I see in Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability it says: (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000).

Last week I was seeing $5000 for the upgrade now I'm seeing $3000. Will it be $2000? I will check with them too.

I think Tesla needs a lot of testers for FSD and AP and making the price cheaper makes sense.

Ok so help me out here. I have a 2016 75D I purchased pre-owned. The original owner purchased EAP at time of purchase.

Does that mean I'll be able to buy FSD for $2,000 and that includes the HW3 upgrade?

What if I don't purchase FSD. Will I keep all the EAP features I know have such as Nav on AP and get no confirmation on lane changes when released ?

Ok so help me out here. I have a 2016 75D I purchased pre-owned. The original owner purchased EAP at time of purchase.

Does that mean I'll be able to buy FSD for $2,000 and that includes the HW3 upgrade?

Not sure about the price, but yes, you can buy FSD and you will get the AP3 chip upgrade for no additional fee AFAIK. Why don't you check your account page and see what the fee is for upgrading to FSD?

What if I don't purchase FSD. Will I keep all the EAP features I know have such as Nav on AP and get no confirmation on lane changes when released ?

Yes, if you have EAP, you get to keep Nav on AP, auto lane change without confirmation, Smart Summon and Auto Park.

Reactions: OPRCE
Not sure about the price, but yes, you can buy FSD and you will get the AP3 chip upgrade for no additional fee AFAIK. Why don't you check your account page and see what the fee is for upgrading to FSD?

Yes, if you have EAP, you get to keep Nav on AP, auto lane change without confirmation, Smart Summon and Auto Park.
Don't have an account page yet. Tesla requires state registration to transfer ownership. Wouldn't accept bill of sale or assigned title. My state took forever to process registration and Tesla takes weeks it seems to process after they get paperwork. Hopefully soon.

upload_2019-3-4_12-39-46.png