Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can totally sympathize with people who bought FSD, I believe Tesla should do something to make up for the price difference between what they paid and what it now costs. If cash refunds will kill the company, they should figure out something else.

On the other hand, I think it was foolish to pay that much money for something that didn't exist, had no set date of when it would exist, with so much out of control of Tesla themselves as far as regulatory approval and such. Even so, Tesla shouldn't punish the people that trusted them.

I'm just in the EAP boat, but if Tesla does the right thing and offers FSD to current EAP users, then anybody who purchased FSD needs to also be compensated fairly. This Early Access crap is not compensation.

I'll also add that for some reason, this type of unified customer-oriented opinion seems to be in short supply. Many people are very quick to blame fellow customers when they legitimately complain about getting screwed over.

All they have to do is get rid of nag for early FSD purchasers and I would be perfectly happy with that.
Costs them nothing but slight lawsuit liability. Maybe they could put a disclaimer when you disable nags that you are on your own.

All they have to do is get rid of nag for early FSD purchasers and I would be perfectly happy with that.
Costs them nothing but slight lawsuit liability. Maybe they could put a disclaimer when you disable nags that you are on your own.

And I would accept that 100% as recompense for the price difference.

Oh wait according to Elon on the Ark podcast we’ll all get that in 2020 when we are able to sleep on our commute to work.

Just give me a discount code for free AP/FSD software on any future Tesla I may buy.....in perpetuity....

• Funny
Reactions: MTOman
I paid for FSD up front for my July 2018 Model S.

I would be ok with FSD on the NEXT Tesla I buy as compensation for being an early adopter and them getting my $$ on the leap of faith that I gave them.

Thats the only thing about AP and FSD that annoy me now. If i get in an accident or just upgrade to a newer car, i have to buy that all over again.

YMMV

Reactions: d21mike and J1mbo
I can totally sympathize with people who bought FSD, I believe Tesla should do something to make up for the price difference between what they paid and what it now costs. If cash refunds will kill the company, they should figure out something else.

On the other hand, I think it was foolish to pay that much money for something that didn't exist, had no set date of when it would exist, with so much out of control of Tesla themselves as far as regulatory approval and such. Even so, Tesla shouldn't punish the people that trusted them.
Tesla hyped FSD in late 2016. I (naively) believed my car would be self driving in 2017. They showed a video that demonstrated the car was driving itself and implied it would be available to the customer after some software updates and regulatory approval. They even incentivized you to pay $3k now to avoid paying more for it later I can only hope they do the right thing. A class action lawsuit would hurt the company more than fairly compensating their customers on their own.

Tesla hyped FSD in late 2016. I (naively) believed my car would be self driving in 2017. They showed a video that demonstrated the car was driving itself and implied it would be available to the customer after some software updates and regulatory approval. They even incentivized you to pay $3k now to avoid paying more for it later I can only hope they do the right thing. A class action lawsuit would hurt the company more than fairly compensating their customers on their own.
Exact same thing happened to me. My wife and I were blown away by that video, and had placed a lot of trust in Elon. It's been an amazing experience thus far with our X, but there's this faint hint of disappointment that we purchased the most expensive car in our lives based on what has thus far amounted to have been self-driving vaporware.

And I bet they worked pretty well from the moment you turned them on and didn’t have to wait maybe some 3 years for them to be activated?

OK, how about iPhone 8, not supporting claimed Qi wireless fast charging until an update 3 months after release (which given the 2-year obsolescence of a smartphone is like 3 years on a car); and then you find they only went from 5W to 7.5W, instead of the full Qi-standard 10W and 15W fast charging that other Android phones were already doing.

I think there are more examples - we've had every generation except the iPhone 7 in our household at some point.

Exact same thing happened to me. My wife and I were blown away by that video, and had placed a lot of trust in Elon. It's been an amazing experience thus far with our X, but there's this faint hint of disappointment that we purchased the most expensive car in our lives based on what has thus far amounted to have been self-driving vaporware.
I love most everything about my car including AP even if it did take longer to appear than the salesperson told me (they had me test drive an AP1 car to demonstrate how AP would work ;)). I really truly believed FSD would happen soon after I bought the car... I was passified getting rudimentary AP several months later. I believe FSD will happen I'm just not sure it will happen on my Oct 16 build.

I paid for FSD up front for my July 2018 Model S.

I would be ok with FSD on the NEXT Tesla I buy as compensation for being an early adopter and them getting my $$ on the leap of faith that I gave them.

Thats the only thing about AP and FSD that annoy me now. If i get in an accident or just upgrade to a newer car, i have to buy that all over again.

YMMV

Imagine all those who bought FSD in November 2016!!! And have been making payments on it all this time AND paying additional vehicle license fees based on it, all for ZERO benefit this entire time -- and then, to add insult to injury, they lower the price to the price of EAP alone. What a way to treat their best and lost loyal early customers!

He disrupted a 100 year old industry. He built rockets that land upright on return. He bored huge tunnels to facilitate rapid travel. He created an online payment system. He can figure out how to make it right with early adopters of FSD.

PS: okay, I'm starting to get pi$$ed off... Time to go for a joyride in the S and remember the real reason I bought the car :)

Personally I can’t imagine they will give FSD to EAP customers for free, they will want to cover the hardware upgrade costs hence the $2K and whatever the £ equates to. They’ll need to stick in HW3 and possibly MCU2 (with all the yellow screen border issues maybe they should do it at the same time) but who knows. The next week or so will hopefully answer some more questions

Who says they will upgrade the HW for free? They might end up giving some kind of "FSD" (which will not be what we all thought from the beginning.... hence the way they changed its definition a few days ago) for free to EAP buyers (and that remains to be seen...) but a limited one, working out with what they have on HW2(.5)?

Yep. I think this makes a lot of sense. Since Tesla is apparently at the point where they are close to releasing their FSD software package, it is to their interest to get as many Tesla owners on FSD as possible for the reasons you mention. More FSD cars mean more data which in turns means getting to L4 faster. And to your second point, ultimately I think Tesla wants as much uniformity as possible in their software to keep things simple and make software updates easier. If they have AP1 with and without autopilot, AP2 with and without EAP, AP2.5 with just EAP and AP2.5 with FSD, AP3 with FSD, it's get confusing for their software updates.

I agree with you, but that's clearly not where they're headed now with the changes in definitions and labels they applied to the AP and FSD packages. And honestly, that doesn't sound good to me. Right now, they have:

- HW1 : without AP / with AP
- HW2 : without EAP / with EAP / with FSD
- HW2.5 : without EAP / with EAP / with FSD
- HW2.5 : without AP (new label, not the same features as EAP) / with AP (ditto) / with FSD (but not the same features as the FSD before)

and probably soon, you'll have to add:
- HW3 : without AP / with AP / with FSD

Yeah, right, let's talk about good decisions ;)

If refunds kills the company, I don't understand why they were giving people free FSD upgrades. With full FSD comes hardware retrofits as well.

Tesla could remove the nags for FSD buyers, that's free. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02 and croman
I love most everything about my car including AP even if it did take longer to appear than the salesperson told me (they had me test drive an AP1 car to demonstrate how AP would work ;)). I really truly believed FSD would happen soon after I bought the car... I was passified getting rudimentary AP several months later. I believe FSD will happen I'm just not sure it will happen on my Oct 16 build.
lol yep same story here