Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FWD switch design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at my service center today to make an appointment for fixing my falcon wing doors alignment, seals, and groaning noise when the service advisor mentioned that the gen 2 falcon wing doors are in the works. Apparently they are redesigning the doors once Model 3 is released. Hopefully it doesn't make my 1st gen falcon winged door X less desirable.

I have no problems with operating the lever to close the doors and my 5 and 7 year old kids can close them without a problem as well.

I was at my service center today to make an appointment for fixing my falcon wing doors alignment, seals, and groaning noise when the service advisor mentioned that the gen 2 falcon wing doors are in the works. Apparently they are redesigning the doors once Model 3 is released. Hopefully it doesn't make my 1st gen falcon winged door X less desirable.

I have no problems with operating the lever to close the doors and my 5 and 7 year old kids can close them without a problem as well.

Interesting. Thanks for reporting!

If accurate, I wonder if this rumor could increase the chances of either Model Y and/or Tesla "Kleinbus" having falcon wings. Maybe. Then again it could be just cost and quality optimizations.

This might also jive with Tesla introducing automated regular doors on Models S and 3. Maybe. Though with Tesla changes rarely comw grouped but happen whenever.

Another door I'm looking at intently is the charge port one. Model 3 might be a good time to introduce CCS support with a correspondingly bigger door. But who knows.

Elon already said that the Model Y would have FWDs. (Not that they can't change their minds.)

Yep, I know. But I'm not sure how much value can be placed on that.

IMO a Model Y with falcon wings would be silly. There will not be a third-row so they'd only needlessly complicate and arguably limit the appeal of the car. Especially given that Model 3 turned out to be just a sedan, they really need a roomy hatchback cross-over in the Model Y, with Model 3 like pricing, and achieving that with regular doors would seem like the smart thing to do.

Falcon wings might make more sense in a "Kleinbus"...

IMO a Model Y with falcon wings would be silly. There will not be a third-row so they'd only needlessly complicate and arguably limit the appeal of the car.

I'm not sure it would be silly. One of the advantages of the FWD is easy access to put a child in a child seat without having to do contortions. So FWD + hatchback might be the way they go. (And we have heard rumors that they already working on V2 of the FWDs.)

Just like the Model 3 isn't for everyone the Model Y won't be either.

• Disagree
Reactions: pjoseph
I'm not sure it would be silly. One of the advantages of the FWD is easy access to put a child in a child seat without having to do contortions.

That is the only practical advantage. In a sea of disadvantages. The other advantages are PR for Tesla (they already get that with Model X), showiness for those who want that and some help in accessing the third row (does not apply to Model Y and not very big benefit in production Model X either as the opening became smaller than in prototype).

So FWD + hatchback might be the way they go. (And we have heard rumors that they already working on V2 of the FWDs.)

Just like the Model 3 isn't for everyone the Model Y won't be either.

Well, of course no car is for everyone, but with the limited amount of form-factor variants Tesla makes of its cars (aka zero), making the models as versatile as possible would be wise. I can see very little benefit in Model Y having falcon wings and tons of downsides: impact on cost and weight, implications on interior space, no roof-rack, customer worries about garages and general adoption anxieties.

If I had to guess, I would say second-gen falcon wings on Model X are likely more related to Model X improvements and the minibus project based on Model X. Of course Model Y is possible too - Tesla may be crazy - but it doesn't make much sense to me.

I think the original FWD (inner) handle was designed to look similar to the front door handle, just rotated 90 degrees.
I don't follow your comment at all.

Tesla-Model-X-Falcon-Door-Extrication-Rescue-Latch-Release.png

They are both metal rings, hinged at one end and that can be pulled out with your fingers. The FWD handle differs in that it can also be pushed in. The logic is somewhat reversed though, since with the FWD you push to open, while at the front door you pull to open.
You actually have to pull out the square ring to open the FWD and you push the square ring into the B-Pillar to close it.

I love the look of the new FWD switch so much I called my SC to get the new switch in my X. They told me they had no idea what I was talking about and the hadn't heard of an upgraded switch or new switch for the FWD. I told them if it wasn't an upgraded switch I still liked it and would pay for the switch to be replaced. Their reply: Wish we could but we have no knowledge of a new FWD switch. Does any one have a part number so they could look it up and order these switches for my X. Thanks in advance.

You actually have to pull out the square ring to open the FWD and you push the square ring into the B-Pillar to close it.

I could have sworn it is the other way around, no? Pull to close, push to open?

Edit: You are right. Wrong recollection from toying with an erratic-seeming door. :) Pull to open, push to close. Funny that the Tesla manual image above talks of push to open?

Last edited:
Funny thing is that I've always felt that the FWD switch was intuitive and I've never had a problem with it.

The door layout on the main console however, is totally unintuitive to me. After almost 1 year, I still sometimes open the passenger door instead of the FWD. I really wish they would redesign that interface and at the very least put the front doors on top and FWD on the bottom.