Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FWD switch design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still seems strange there are so many versions.... the original, the one with a longer base (I guess it is) and the totally flat one. And I don't think we've seen a new car with the newest ones. But they do look like the best 'engineered' answer so far!

This is typical. Just about every part of the car has had multiple revisions. As another example, I've been trying to get a tow hitch cover which was missing at delivery. They've ordered several different revisions of it and none of them fit!

I picked up my Model X 100D today, and found that it had the new style switch. Seems like a nice improvement

Attachments

• IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 245
This is typical. Just about every part of the car has had multiple revisions. As another example, I've been trying to get a tow hitch cover which was missing at delivery. They've ordered several different revisions of it and none of them fit!

Sorry to hear that. Shouldn't their system show which revision is supposed to fit your car? Seems like a rather unfortunate issue service-wise and systematic if the data is not available to them.

Took my X in for retrofit today. Here's before and after. Much more intuitive now.

View attachment 224851 View attachment 224852
Looking back at your photo of the new switch, I just noticed that you also have the performance pedals. Did they come standard on your X? You're in the time period where you also got the Active Spoiler. They look really sharp on the photos and I was thinking of ordering them for my car. Have you been happy with them? Any thoughts?

Looking back at your photo of the new switch, I just noticed that you also have the performance pedals. Did they come standard on your X? You're in the time period where you also got the Active Spoiler. They look really sharp on the photos and I was thinking of ordering them for my car. Have you been happy with them? Any thoughts?

Wow, nice catch. You are a true Tesla fan. No, my X 90D came with standard plastic pedals but I'm used to the metal ones on my S so I ordered a set from the Tesla shop and had them installed. Definitely worth the $150.

Given all the technical challenges with falcon wings, I find it surprising it took Tesla this long to see the unnecessary usability issues with its controls. They's still need to fix the big screen door controls that are confusing as heck in their placement (front door controls are placed under aka behind the falcon wing controls). I would think they'd want to make the controls as simples as possible at least instead they are still rather gimmicky.
View attachment 224475
For the first few months of ownership, I confused the front doors with the FWD controls on the touchscreen MANY times. Nowadays I still have to look carefully what door I am operating.

So no I still haven't memorized the locations, instead I have only managed to learn to pause and think before touching.

For the first few months of ownership, I confused the front doors with the FWD controls on the touchscreen MANY times. Nowadays I still have to look carefully what door I am operating.

So no I still haven't memorized the locations, instead I have only managed to learn to pause and think before touching.

Indeed, the hallmarks of a usability problem when intuitively we are choosing wrong and must use conscious effort to remember to do right. It is like that light switch in your house that the installer put backwards - left switch turns on lights in the right part of the room and vice-versa... one can learn consciously the difference, but new people and even yourself when tired or not paying attention will keep making the same mistake over and over again.

I picked up my MX 100D last night and it has the new version of the original style, not the new-new flat design. Also, the DS noticed that the switches for 3rd row access are new and they are... flatter matte design I think. I'll take a closer look tonight and post a pic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Wow, nice catch. You are a true Tesla fan. No, my X 90D came with standard plastic pedals but I'm used to the metal ones on my S so I ordered a set from the Tesla shop and had them installed. Definitely worth the $150.
I had noticed different pedals when I upgraded from 90D to P100DL, but did not know it was a performance item. Thanks, I'll step on it now! :p

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum